Brexit - or Article 50: the Phoenix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sounds like a kangaroo court, supported by the usual muppets, quick to cast aspersions, light on facts and willing to take offence.
2 yrs ago there was a referendum, looks like things have moved on. Now your upset because people aren’t so enthralled at the future a leave with no deal can bring.

Time always changes decision, the Iraq war was voted for by the HoC it was carried through, we went to war. Hindsight showed the reasons were incorrect. It wasn’t such a great idea. Now look at Brexit, is it such a great idea?
That is the best denial view I have ever read 👍

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If I can butt in for a second. Today was supposed to be about plan b. There is goi g to be another vote on plan b next Tuesday I believe. From what I've seen nothing has changed so presumably we are going to lose another week an TM is going to get another kicking?

Am I wrong in this assessment? I haven't heard what the political journalists have said. Have they found something different that will unlock the logjam?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46950719#share-tools

Dont think that is good enough to persuade 200 plus MPs to change there minds. Like someone said, it's not as if driving licenses and passports are free. If someone from the EU don't want to pay £65 to live here and get free schooling, NHS etc etc then bugger off. Missis May has said she has listened to the concerns of the 3 million migrants living here, smart at least she is listening. Wonder when she gets round to listening to the 17 million

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So for my understanding... is the difference between Plan A and Plan B is £65 ?
... when she says she is listening to people, i am not sure which people is she listening to? ... Its a bit like Sixth Sense.. where she is having talks with imaginary people..

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So for my understanding... is the difference between Plan A and Plan B is £65 ?
... when she says she is listening to people, i am not sure which people is she listening to? ... Its a bit like Sixth Sense.. where she is having talks with imaginary people..
Did people listen to what she said today. She said she has listened to MPs and does not agree with another referendum. She also made it clear that if people didnt want a no deal then they should accept a deal. She also explained she will go back to the EU and attempt again to get changes to the backstop.

I don't like her current deal one bit but but lets at least be fair about what she is currently saying.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did people listen to what she said today. She said she has listened to MPs and does not agree with another referendum. She also made it clear that if people didnt want a no deal then they should accept a deal. She also explained she will go back to the EU and attempt again to get changes to the backstop.

I don't like her current deal one bit but but lets at least be fair about what she is currently saying.

I agree. I watched her compotent performance and heard her own words. I think others should do so rather than rely on the soundbites from what is lazy reporting saying B is like A. There are a number of points where she has agreed to take them on board and return to the EU. It is not within the gift of the PM to agreed to make unilateral changes to a document that was the result of negotiation.

It is amusing that JC has tabled an amendment that will unilaterally take off the table a 'No Deal' when it is not within his gift. Similarly JC also proposed a 2nd vote when there are a considerable number of Labour MPs who are against such an amendment.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

It is amusing that JC has tabled an amendment that will unilaterally take off the table a 'No Deal' when it is not within his gift. Similarly JC also proposed a 2nd vote when there are a considerable number of Labour MPs who are against such an amendment.
JC is floundering - as is usual for a 'leader of the opposition', but more-so in his case.

He's entitled to propose such a vote, as he is using the Whips to keep 'his troops' in line. Whether they can do so will/would be interesting to watch.

As for the logic of parliament removing 'No Deal' from the equation (if indeed that's actually possible under A50, which I doubt). That action would weaken UK's already tenuous negotiation position!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Out of Interest do you think that the EU will impose 'settled status' on British immigrants who are currently living, working and bring up families within Europe,

Providing expatriates have applied for and received settled status by Brexit day, and have signed up for ‘local’ taxation, they’re ok. Same hoops that a non-EU citizen has to jump through.

They will also need to sort their driving licence for a local one. However, having residencia in one EU country doesn’t mean you have it, or freedom to travel, in another EU country.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have never been able to understand the point that is being made here. Each party constructs a manifesto with multiple elements. If you choose to vote for a party, you might support some of those policies but not all. To suggest that a vote for the Conservatives or Labour automatically translated into support for " honouring the referendum" is a desperate interpretation of the world as you would like it to be.
Similarly, I would like to take issue with your remarks about a "no deal Brexit" causing " bumps in the road". Being a bit worse off might be tolerable if your budget boasts some slack, if it doesn't it isn't. If job losses result that isn't a bump in the road. One of your fellow travellers, Bernard Jenkin, when questioned about the potential impact on the Nissan plant said that Sunderland's Leave voters would find any job losses a price worth paying, I think that he has lost contact with reality., Rees-Mogg was interviewed by Andrew Neil a couple of days ago. His usual breezy support for a no deal had deserted him, his description of it was " survivable". He then went on to parrot his claims for the benefits of zero tariffs and when pressed came up with some marginal savings on a pair of trainers!
There is no parliamentary support for no deal, a compromise will need to be found.
My post was addressed specifically to SR - still awaiting a response.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Providing expatriates have applied for and received settled status by Brexit day, and have signed up for ‘local’ taxation, they’re ok. Same hoops that a non-EU citizen has to jump through.

They will also need to sort their driving licence for a local one. However, having residencia in one EU country doesn’t mean you have it, or freedom to travel, in another EU country.

Thanks for that.
Lovin the way that Brits are never immigrants, always ex pats.:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.