American Amateur Team Sports?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not really sure why this popped into my head but I was reading an article on the BBC about US College football (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/66713731) and it got me wondering. If you play football (or any other sport) during your college years in the US does it just stop when you graduate? In the UK a load of us have turned out for the local football/cricket/rugby teams at the weekend and I've played with cricketers still playing into their 80's. Is this the same in the States, do they have weekend American Football games in local leagues or is it just centred around it being a spectator sport?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not really sure why this popped into my head but I was reading an article on the BBC about US College football (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/66713731) and it got me wondering. If you play football (or any other sport) during your college years in the US does it just stop when you graduate? In the UK a load of us have turned out for the local football/cricket/rugby teams at the weekend and I've played with cricketers still playing into their 80's. Is this the same in the States, do they have weekend American Football games in local leagues or is it just centred around it being a spectator sport?

I'm quite sure there are smaller time leagues etc but a lot of the guys that don't "make it" probably just drop off the radar because its not newsworthy.

Golf is a great example - US college golf is a big thing but the majority of players wont every feature on a significant tour and probably just drop back to club golf at a high level.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm quite sure there are smaller time leagues etc but a lot of the guys that don't "make it" probably just drop off the radar because its not newsworthy.

Golf is a great example - US college golf is a big thing but the majority of players wont every feature on a significant tour and probably just drop back to club golf at a high level.

Yeah I get that I guess my question was more around those who aren't top level (or even middle level), does the US have the equivalent to our Sunday league football or cricket were 11 (distinctly average blokes or ladies) take to the pitch and charge about for a while?

D

Deleted member 15344

It will depend on how good you are

Each US sport has the draft

So college athletes ( even high school ) will enter themselves into the draft and hope to get picked up by the main teams , if not then there is multiple levels of other leagues professional and non professional that they play in

But a good percentage use the athletic scholarships etc to get into college to get their degree and get a career that way

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It will depend on how good you are

Each US sport has the draft

So college athletes ( even high school ) will enter themselves into the draft and hope to get picked up by the main teams , if not then there is multiple levels of other leagues professional and non professional that they play in

But a good percentage use the athletic scholarships etc to get into college to get their degree and get a career that way

See above, I'm thinking about the enthusiastic players who were probably never good enough to play college sports but enjoy the game. Does the US have organised leagues as we do here for almost all sports but for those who are somewhat limited (although not all) in ability!

D

Deleted member 15344

See above, I'm thinking about the enthusiastic players who were probably never good enough to play college sports but enjoy the game. Does the US have organised leagues as we do here for almost all sports but for those who are somewhat limited (although not all) in ability!

Sorry yes there is Amatuer leagues for all the main US sports

They are called “working men’s” sport leagues

RichA

Visit site
It's something I've often wondered about too.
This is an interesting recent article... https://civicscience.com/americans-...-health-and-social-connections-post-pandemic/

I get the impression that while there is amateur sport in the states it isn't like Europe, where we play the same sports using the same rules and equipment as the pros.
I'm generalising, but over there it's softball, kickball, pickleball, etc.