Hello from new member giving brief intro if anyone is interested

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Hello All, This is just a brief intro into my new found love of Golf and I am asking for no advice, Yet !!
I am 49 years old and reside in the far north west of England. I have played sport all my life, mainly football but have played cricket and rugby also. Two years ago I suffered a bad injury which put the final nail into my footballing coffin.
For twenty odd years I had asked family, friends and colleagues who played golf to take me along as I always fancied playing, nobody would take me, they all thought I was too feisty or maybe too common to play, maybe I would embarrass them being a new player, I never really understood why but this has stuck with me and really bothered me for years, but I had my football so I just got on with that.
So now I find myself around a group of people who have been kind enough to invite me along for a game and I feel at ease playing with.
I have only just started out, I have been to the driving range around 5 times and really enjoyed it, I have had one 18 hole game at a links course and I only lost two balls !! I took fifty with me just in case LOL, I did Ok, much better than I thought.
I have a set of new Callaway X series irons with graphite shafts 5 - SW, X series driver and 3 wood, I have a 3 & 5 hybrid and also 52 & 60 wedges. I have Srixon soft feel balls in yellow also.

I have been watching Youtube videos for a while now and feel like I have sort of self taught myself ( very basic ) but I will be having lessons when the spring comes.

Anyway I look forward to a new chapter in my life with a new sport as I approach 50 years of age, hopefully over the next year or so I will get to play with those people who refused to play with me over the years and hopefully they will realise I just wanted to play golf and enjoy myself.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Welcome. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask, no question is too basic. There are many here that can provide great advice and assistance.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good luck with the golf.
I would not be hurrying to play with people who didn’t want to play with me.
You will meet some nice people golfing .
Some not so nice.
Just try to enjoy it,
Like you I started very well but went downhill rapidly it’s mentally tough .
Just keep on plugging away, the sun will be back soon then you will really enjoy it.
Most sportsmen have a good eye for the ball ,just work on your basics. Alignment is everything in golf.
Enjoy.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I was 50 when I first started but didn’t have any sporting background whatsoever, cars and motorbikes for me. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would play golf, I presumed it was for rich posh people but when my mate from work took me to the driving range one day and I found out I couldn’t hit the ball I was hooked, couldn’t let a little ball like that beat me. Good luck on your journey and all the ups and downs, fustrtrations and great days.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Enjoy your new golf career and keep in mind that, whenever things aren’t going right (and they often aren’t), a bad day on the golf course still beats a good day at work. Just enjoy being out there and have fun. Good luck.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Never forget that golf is a capricious lover; and that in golf there is no personal perfection - just personal progress...accept the latter and the lover will be sweet to you - much of the time ?