BOOMross - Be our Tour Pro - Two days in the sun!

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just thought I would let you know how I got on at West Hill GC with the Benross team.

I rocked up to West Hill at 11.00 on Thursday to be greeted by some of the Benross guys and some of the other competition winners. We had a Bacon roll (one of the golfers 5 a day) and some coffee over some light conversation over what we should be expecting over the next couple of days.
I was then introduced to my new set of Benross clubs (Driver thru to putter) in a nice new Benross bag which had some Benross waterproofs hidden inside! Nice.

WP_20131001_002.jpgWP_20131001_003.jpg

So after a quick change of head covers the bag looked pretty cool!

WP_20131001_004.jpg

We then had a short game lesson with the local Pro - Guy Shoesmith for just over an hour before he gave us his quick guide to the course.

Straight from here we were off on to the first tee for our practice round.

WP_20130926_001.jpgWP_20130926_002.jpg

Being a little unsure of the course and the new clubs which I had never hit yet I was eager to get out there and find out what it was all about.
It was a nice relaxed round where we had the opportunity to hit extra shots and have a little chip and putt around all the greens, which was an absolute pleasure as the layout and condition of West Hill were very impressive.
The clubs performed extremely well except for a bit of an embarrassing first tee shot and one or two slightly off shots which would have happened with anything in my hands. We had Dave from Benross walking around with us and he seemed pretty excited about the way I was hitting the new clubs and was very to see the way they were performing.

After the round a couple of pints on the Benross tab (never got bored of saying that!) in the clubhouse and then we abandoned the cars in the gated West Hill GC car park and shared lifts back to the Brooklands Hotel for the evening.

WP_20130927_011.jpgWP_20130927_010.jpgWP_20130926_003.jpg

Up to the room for a quick shower and change and then back down for a proper top notch meal and drinks with the Benross team and Paul and Mike from GM.

WP_20130926_007.jpgWP_20130926_008.jpg

Benross kindly picked up the tab again until a very responsible time (for a tour pro) at which point most of the competitors and staff retired for the evening.

I was a little late in the morning but luckily had already planned my outfit for the day so it was straight in to the shower and then down to meet everyone else.
I popped in to the breakfast hall and got a good fill for the big day ahead and then made my way out for the shuttle bus to pick up the CHOPPER!!

WP_20130927_014.jpg

After we had been given the safety brief and shown the brace position we were ready for take-off!! and after a nice scenic travel we landed on the 18th at West Hill.

BVJsU0SCEAApdr8.jpgBVJxznuCcAEDZsg.jpg

A quick cup of coffee and then the team from Benross had a photo shoot arranged for some marketing. So after most of the guys got called in to makeup and I was asked to put my waterproof trousers over my existing ones we did some posing about for an hour.

BVJ1UvFCYAAogE-.jpgBVKCgNdCAAAViaW.jpg

After the photo shoot I got my bats out and decided to warm up a little. There wasn't too much time before we tee'd off due to a camera malfunction so after a couple of shots in the nets, a couple of chips and a couple of putts I made my way to the first tee.
Here I met my caddy for the day.

WP_20130927_023.jpg

The crowd were amassing to watch first group of the day and Ryder Cup legend Neil Coles to hit the opening shot.

BVKbJkzCUAAnRtg.jpg

BVKa4IgCAAAjYI3.jpg

The starter then announed Neil on the tee after a brief introduction and after he striped one down the middle it was up to the real stars of the day!!
I was third up in our threeball and managed to save a bit of face for the group after one not too pretty shot and one that hopefully will be forgotten quickly (I did it on the 1st in the practice round and it's still fresh in my mind!).

BVKdDu6CAAAsD3W.jpg

18 holes later I hadn't got to a score I had hoped for! The course was in great condition with the pins being a little tricky, the caddy did a very good job and probably saved a few shots out there for me but just wasn't to be.
I didn't do the Forum any disgrace by finishing above mid table though!

A post match interview with Paul and his seamless editing skills (!) was the last call of duty on my tour pro experience so a pint and a curry afterwards and I was on my way home after an action packed two days and some new friends.

BVLhk7DCEAEQgwi.jpg

The clubs performed well over the weekend at home and are all staying in the bag for the time being. Even these strange hybrid clubs!

Many thanks to Benross and the guys at GM for this great opportunity.

P.S. It was nice of Mike to join us on the Friday even if he was a little late on parade!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yet another fantastic GM prize and hats off to Benross for a great fresh take on this sort of thing. Glad the bats are behaving. Any news on the condition of the course for next week. Are the greens quick

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yet another fantastic GM prize and hats off to Benross for a great fresh take on this sort of thing. Glad the bats are behaving. Any news on the condition of the course for next week. Are the greens quick

Not sure it'll matter with all the rain and high winds coming in ( :D ) but the course was top notch Martin. Good pace on the greens that'll be sure to catch most people out at least once or twice.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a top experience! How do you rate those wedges, my pro stocks them and I am tempted....

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a top experience! How do you rate those wedges, my pro stocks them and I am tempted....

Wedges are nice. Feel good coming off the face and they have enough loft and bounce options to suit most.
I wasn't convinced by the 60 to begin with as the toe of the club looked a bit high and rounded at the top but performs well. The 52 looked great from the word go.
Very happy with them.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
nice write up:thup:

Has it given you a 'taste' for more, or more respect for the tour guys doing it day in day out with the mortgage on the line (for some)

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice write up mate, nice outfit also! What colour would you call those trousers?

Did they really make you cover up for the photos?

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice write up mate, nice outfit also! What colour would you call those trousers?

Did they really make you cover up for the photos?

No colour as such but the style is 70's Disco!

They really did make me cover them up for the photo shoot. They were more than happy with them for the rest of the day but the professional photographer seemed to think they didn't fit in with his vision of the shot. Pretty sure he wasn't a golfer!!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
No colour as such but the style is 70's Disco!

They really did make me cover them up for the photo shoot. They were more than happy with them for the rest of the day but the professional photographer seemed to think they didn't fit in with his vision of the shot. Pretty sure he wasn't a golfer!!

Maybe his lense couldn't cope with the dazzling array of colours!! Will they've making a reappearance on Monday ??:D

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
nice write up:thup:

Has it given you a 'taste' for more, or more respect for the tour guys doing it day in day out with the mortgage on the line (for some)

Will be playing a couple of extra tickets on the lottery this weekend! I could settle in to that way of life pretty easily!

It was a very fun little glimpse and only reassured me that I have never been able to be serious or dedicated enough to even be ok at this game (and probably never will be!).

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe his lense couldn't cope with the dazzling array of colours!! Will they've making a reappearance on Monday ??:D

I'm sure I can make that happen Nick! I was toying with other combinations for the H4H day but nothing says 'hey, look at me' quite like they do. I wouldn't want to come across like a one trick pony though!!

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure I can make that happen Nick! I was toying with other combinations for the H4H day but nothing says 'hey, look at me' quite like they do. I wouldn't want to come across like a one trick pony though!!
Didn't see any headgear mate..... :confused: thought you were fond of a good hat!!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great write up and pics! Sounds an amazing 2 days!!! My mate that had to drop out ended up getting ill and not going to the US! (Well enough to golf!) What a kick in the balls. He is coming on Monday so will find you so you can talk him through what he missed just to rub it in!

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great write up and pics! Sounds an amazing 2 days!!! My mate that had to drop out ended up getting ill and not going to the US! (Well enough to golf!) What a kick in the balls. He is coming on Monday so will find you so you can talk him through what he missed just to rub it in!

I'll let him touch the clubs too!!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Surprised such a posh hotel couldn't afford light bulbs so you had to get dressed in the dark Steve.:whistle: Brave trousers to wear when you have to fly in a chopper.;)