Bob MacIntyre and the Ryder Cup

D

Deleted member 15344

Huge pressure! Even the English think there are too few Scots making the Ryder Cup Team! :)
I agree -I think the Ryder Cup and indeed the tour need strong Scottish and also Welsh players - growing up through the 80’s there always seemed to be at least one Scot in the team

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree -I think the Ryder Cup and indeed the tour need strong Scottish and also Welsh players - growing up through the 80’s there always seemed to be at least one Scot in the team
Not sure why it need a Welsh or Scottish influence in the team. Surely it's about the best 12 players for the job at the time based on qualifying and picks which will probably go on form at the time and those with previous RC experience (especially in the US). Nothing that said it has to come with a particular mix of nationalities. As for the tour, again if there are youngsters like Macintyre coming through and they're good enough they'll develop and feature in ET events and hopefully win along the way (but again nothing is a given on tour). If they can't handle it the brutal truth is they'll lost their card and go back to Q school. Not sure the tour needs someone to be some sort of beacon based on nationality

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Fairly sure that Paris was the 1st RC Europe have ever won without a Scot on the team, or as Captain.

Anyway, fairly academic. If Bob is good enough, he should make it on merit. He doesn't need to change much from this season and he'll be pretty close given that he will now get into a few bigger events in the 1st half of the 2020 season that he didn't get into in 2019. Albeit I think it's important he gets into the top 50 for April to get into the Masters (which he can't be far away from being on course for, albeit perhaps not that many European points to play for between now and then, compared with US based guys).

D

Deleted member 1147

Not sure why it need a Welsh or Scottish influence in the team. Surely it's about the best 12 players for the job at the time based on qualifying and picks which will probably go on form at the time and those with previous RC experience (especially in the US). Nothing that said it has to come with a particular mix of nationalities. As for the tour, again if there are youngsters like Macintyre coming through and they're good enough they'll develop and feature in ET events and hopefully win along the way (but again nothing is a given on tour). If they can't handle it the brutal truth is they'll lost their card and go back to Q school. Not sure the tour needs someone to be some sort of beacon based on nationality
The tour needs players from all countries, if it wants to grow, especially from currently underrepresented ones.
If there are no stars from a certain country it is probably less likely that youngsters will follow - I'm sure most of us had heroes from our own country to watch, follow and imitate

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The tour needs players from all countries, if it wants to grow, especially from currently underrepresented ones.
If there are no stars from a certain country it is probably less likely that youngsters will follow - I'm sure most of us had heroes from our own country to watch, follow and imitate

Surely it comes down to the talent coming through. If a Scottish golf club (or Welsh etc) has a talented young player then surely they need to be developed through the amateur ranks and progress playing for the national sides, doing well personally and perhaps with a goal of a Walker Cup spot. The programmes have to be in place to nurture and bring through the next generation for all the main golf playing nations. However once they turn pro and compete, even on the Challenge tour chasing a tour card or getting on the ET via Q school the reality is it is a lonely and tough place to be and some will be good enough and others won't. If Scotland is going through a fallow period professionally, then I am sure youngsters will find another role model to follow. Why does it have to be a home based one?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
... If Scotland is going through a fallow period professionally, then I am sure youngsters will find another role model to follow. Why does it have to be a home based one?

Absolutely. To stoke that fire even more, take 100 English golfers under 20 years old. If you ask them their 'idol' I'm pretty sure nearly every single one would say a certain R. McIlroy. Not Justin Rose or Lee Westwood, or Matt Wallace or Eddie Pepperell.

Back to MacIntyre, clearly he's got talent. But if it comes down to captains picks and you're looking at rookies then surely Wallace and Lowry are ahead of him. They're just better players. Right now, all *any* of them can do is play their best golf.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Surely it comes down to the talent coming through. If a Scottish golf club (or Welsh etc) has a talented young player then surely they need to be developed through the amateur ranks and progress playing for the national sides, doing well personally and perhaps with a goal of a Walker Cup spot. The programmes have to be in place to nurture and bring through the next generation for all the main golf playing nations. However once they turn pro and compete, even on the Challenge tour chasing a tour card or getting on the ET via Q school the reality is it is a lonely and tough place to be and some will be good enough and others won't. If Scotland is going through a fallow period professionally, then I am sure youngsters will find another role model to follow. Why does it have to be a home based one?

Really?!

I'm someone who generally in individual sports will enjoy watching the best irrespective of their nationality.

But as a kid growing up, most look to their local or national heroes. In any sport.

Listen to the Spanish guys and they all list Seve, Faldo is named by English etc etc.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Absolutely. To stoke that fire even more, take 100 English golfers under 20 years old. If you ask them their 'idol' I'm pretty sure nearly every single one would say a certain R. McIlroy. Not Justin Rose or Lee Westwood, or Matt Wallace or Eddie Pepperell.

Back to MacIntyre, clearly he's got talent. But if it comes down to captains picks and you're looking at rookies then surely Wallace and Lowry are ahead of him. They're just better players. Right now, all *any* of them can do is play their best golf.

I agree, I'm sure lots from around the world will also as his status in the game is so big. But generally that's not the case. I bet more Scots look up to Andy Murray than they do rafa or Federer when wanting to play tennis. Yet both of them are clearly bigger stars.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

That's the thing though, certain RC Captains have chosen their mates.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Bob in now OFFICIALLY the second best left handed player in the world.

???????????????????????????????????

Bob 64th ranked player in the world, big Lefty Phil now down to 65th!

Bubba he's gunning for you! ?