Bob MacIntyre and the Ryder Cup

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Considering he only graduated from the Challenge Tour this time last year he is doing brilliant.

As with many young players finding their feet on Tour, continuing this rapid progress may be the tough part.

Looks a great talent so fingers crossed from me.
Not arguing that he's had a stellar season since coming on tour and he's great to watch. However the RC is about momentum, collecting points and then being in form at the right time. As I said hard to know as a rookie should he get in, how he'll cope especially in the US where he'd have had limited experience of playing those sorts of courses

D

Deleted member 15344

Possibly but I doubt there has been many as consistent top tens as he's had this year, obviously other than the likes of Rory and the really top lads.

He has done well this year - 6 top 10’s is a good first full year on tour , it’s the next step and next year which is key

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The players mentioned above all managed it due to having their stellar year at the same time as Ryder Cup year - MacIntyre has had a great year in a Non Ryder Cup year and also all those other players managed wins on Tour - MacIntyre needs to get that under his belt first - he could just as easily be a one season sort of wonder and join those other players who have done well for one year.

Are people clinging onto him because he is the one scot in the top 100 ? I like him , think he plays with a great attitude and hope he does get over the line sooner rather than later

He's been on Tour under a year, what exactly is it you expect from a 23 year old on his rookie season?

His consistency has been his biggest asset. Despite not getting it over the line yet he's gaining experience and the more you knock on the door the more likely it is too open for you.

As for your pathetic dig I'll rise above that.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
And he is a leftie. When have they won stuff? Even Mickelson is a fraud, right handed except for golf. Mike Weir? Bubba? No, can't see ig.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If the Ryder cup was next week, he’d be in, in my opinion.
Padraig will definitely be keeping an eye on him.

I fear Porridge will be another Faldo/Clarke disaster. No idea why as I think he's one of the most underrated players to have won majors in my time. Hopefully I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member 15344

He's been on Tour under a year, what exactly is it you expect from a 23 year old on his rookie season?

His consistency has been his biggest asset. Despite not getting it over the line yet he's gaining experience and the more you knock on the door the more likely it is too open for you.

As for your pathetic dig I'll rise above that.

The thread is about if he can get to the RC of which the Qualfiying has started - I don’t “expect” anything from him- I’m just giving my opinion of what he needs to do to gain a place in the RC team.

His consistency is excellent and there is every chance he will get over the line

and I’m not sure what the childish digs you are going on about

D

Deleted member 1147

I hope he can make the leap to the top of the tree, but before he does I think he needs to show he is consistently good enough when there's a lot of pressure on him. He seems to have faded/struggled in the rounds when in the lead or right at the pointy end of competitions.
Finishing top 10 having come from a long way back is great, but is more pressure free than putting together great weekends when in contention.
But it's very early days, so, fingers crossed for another top Brit!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Bob MacIntyre is barrelling towards yet another top ten at the Nedbank, christ know what he did in his first two rounds but as I type he's sitting 6th. I think unless he wins in Dubai he's no chance of the Masters but what about his Ryder Cup chances ??

Despite not having any wins to his name he seems to be the most consistent player on the European Tour at the moment, can he make the RC I wonder ??

Watching his progress this year with great interest. Hugely consistent, very able and seems to have a very sensible head on his shoulders in terms of not getting too frustrated with off days or the fact he hasn't won.

I think he has a great shot at the Ryder Cup, but will have to do 2 things;
1. keep his ranking up so he plays in the majors & WGCs, including the Masters (still has a bit of a way to go).
2. Manage his schedule to cover all the big events, perhaps even adding some world / US events that he will be eligible now for.
2a. ideally get a decent win in the right week (i.e. big event with big points).

The RC ranking has become more difficult for European Tour only guys to qualify from. Generally the 4 European places will be taken up by World players who might only play half a dozen European Tour events, but gain huge points in the Majors and WGCs - so the middle of the summer, I'd expect these to be the likes of Rory, Rose, Fleetwood, Rahm etc.

Also - he can still get into the Masters. He is ranked 70th currently. Can add a good chunk of points next week, and he should have great capacity for his ranking to grow prior to the next top 50 cut off (in March). This is where adding a US event could help and he could push his ranking much further that week than he could in Europe. Possibly trying to play the Genesis or Honda either side of the WGC in Mexico and he could take care of a lot of business with a couple of decent finishes (Bayhill could also be added as well). I'm sure guys ranked top 100 in the world can pretty much get 4 PGA Tour starts without having to be full members (Pepperell did something similar this year).

Ok - so a high risk strategy as you run the risk of putting yourself under pressure in the R2D... but one that's probably worth it for him given the level of golf he's played and that he should have no problems maintaining his status in Europe.

I feel getting into the Masters is almost essential towards getting into the RC, given that there's effectively no cut so anyone turning up with any kind of form will gain huge points over those who aren't exempt.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also - think it's very unlikely a Rookie gets a pick here.

Even if the 1st 9 guys have all played before and they have no rookies (which won't be the case)... there will still be a clutch of guys... Molinari, Poulter, Casey, Garcia, Kaymer Stenson etc. who might be in the mix and not qualified and I think it's very unlikely Padraig doesn't pick experienced guys for an away match unless a rookie is just on the edge of making it and they already have a very experienced team.

And even then, there may still be potential Rookies like Lowry, Weisberger, Wallace, Pepperell who are more experienced and have won a few events who will be considered.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think you do.

Not everything is a dig - Scotland haven’t really had a top level golfer to use as a beacon for a while especially when you look at some of their greats in the past - there have been a few that have come and gone and it seems that this young lad is the next hope for Scottish golf - it wasn’t a dig is more an observation from what I have seen through the year whilst he has been doing well.

I just hope he is allowed to develop without too much pressure being applied to him.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Too soon, let's not try to shoe horn him in, especially for a RC in America; if he's the real deal he'll be ready for the next one