Bloody old people and woman......

markyjee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of my mates is the slowest golfer I have ever played with, He's only 40 but is constantly messing about in his bag, jumpers, jackets on off every other hole, normally lasts about 2 holes before he gets the "are you gonnae effing hurry up"

There are far too many golfers who are determined not to let anyone play through though which is totally wrong, alot also still believe a single player has no standing on the course.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've been playing for 22 years(19-41) and bad etiquette, manners and stupidity are not the preserve of any age group. My golf club has a fair spread of age groups and all can be guilty of the above, and also from playing many other courses also.

I think it is more a matter of how the people act off the golf course, which also determines their attitude on it. Maybe you playing at a course that has more of the older people, you think this is prevalent because of their age, you'll find in time that it can be all ages.

I play regularly with 5-6 lads all about my age and the time they take ranges from very slow, to too quick (he picks his ball up a lot, if he feels we are being caught up).

BTW I think the horlicks has kicked in. The teeth are in the glass now. :)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
No golfers were put at risk.

As I've already said... they were not in front of me when I hit my tee shot.

As for the 'ageist' things....I said that 90% of the members at my club are senior, so that may be the reason. All I was doing was speaking from experience.

Since my original post, plenty of people have come on here and have called the younger players 'slow'. Yet they're not ageist? Even though they were generalizing.

Now it is you that is calling me a name. And why would they only do it once to you? Sounds like a threat.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it's very cowardly calling others names when they're hidden behind a computer screen. It's a little sad.

You still don't see what you did as wrong which, in my eyes, is worse than not being let through. What you did is ignorant and reckless.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It also makes you as bad as they were as far as following Ettiqutte is concerned.

I've been behind many a 2, 3 or 4 ball playing as a Single and not being let through. It happens.
Accept the pace of play and maybe play 2 balls or skip some holes to get ahead....
If this is how you deal with it then what do you do when you sh*nk one OB?

Rodders

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's not just leaney who is arrogant and ignorant but his playing partner as well if he also barged his way through, if I was playing with them I would have apologised to the 4 ball and walked off the course and would never play with them again. The 4 ball were wrong not to let them through but there is no excuse for being a bully.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The next time this happens to you and it quickly becomes obvious they aren't going to let you through, wait till they drive off and walk down the side of the hole with them. Be courteous and wait for them to hit their second shots then walk ahead of them to the next tee and carry on.
Then you can report them in the clubhouse afterwards if you wish.
As it was, because of your actions, no-one will take any notice of your complaints

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My playing partner is approaching retirement age and is very fit and plays off 14 which is very good when you consider he took the game up at 57. His pet hate is old farts as he put's it and when I remind him he's almost as old as some of them his point is that they have all day and all week to play, so why don't they show more consideration and play during the week while everybody is at work. Why do they persist on playing at peak periods on a weekend?

He does have a point to a certain degree however all pensioners can't be branded in the same fashion as there are some very capable older players.

I can understand the frustration of leany however what he should have done is simpy walked to the next hole if the way was clear, however the foursome should have had the courtesy and consideration to let him and his playing partner through so they also cannot be excused for their actions.

I believe that tollerence and consideration is required in all players. Whenever I can I book early as possible on a weekend as it avoids all of the above hastle.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
No golfers were put at risk.

As I've already said... they were not in front of me when I hit my tee shot.

I think the point is, you had a valid complaint, you had the moral high ground, everyone would have been sympathetic.

However by teeing it up and hitting it past them, whilst in this case not dangerous, is certainly rude and ignorant. I would argue that what you did is by far a worse breach of etiquette that slow play. You can't defend it, learn a lesson.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I would do again in a heartbeat.

I'm just a little annoyed at myself for being polite and putting up with it for 8 holes.

They say that two wrongs don't make a right but at least I saved myself an hour of standing around waiting for them.

If they were up before the committee for slow play & you were up for what you did I know who would fair far worse...

Would appear that although you've learned to hit the ball, you've still got a lot to learn.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The next time this happens to you and it quickly becomes obvious they aren't going to let you through, wait till they drive off and walk down the side of the hole with them. Be courteous and wait for them to hit their second shots then walk ahead of them to the next tee and carry on.
As it was, because of your actions, no-one will take any notice of your complaints

That's the correct last resort course of action....IMO

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is it acceptable to effectively barge through?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't it more like skipping holes out as opposed to barging through as you don't interfere with their game at all.

I don't know how happy I would be with someone walking the hole beside me then pushing onto the next tee! Although I wouldn't be in that situation in the first place.

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is it acceptable to effectively barge through?

he never barged through ,think your making a mountain out of a mole hill you would make a good jourenelist, as he says at no point was any 1 in danger of been hit by his ball, on the back of most scorecards it says please avoid slow play at all times. keep up with the group in front ,not the group behind, a 4 ball should let a 2ball through if holding em up

to be waiting on everyshot and the have a chance to go through and to be told no, would make most of us get riled up,no matter what age the group in front are, ok maybe he should of walked do side of hole with em and jumped on next tee in front of them, but think your giving the lad a hard time for something that could of been easily avoided if the group in front had just said yes come through when ever you want, he cert could of worded his 1st post a touch better to not get ladies and old peoples backs up

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
he never barged through ,think your making a mountain out of a mole hill you would make a good jourenelist, as he says at no point was any 1 in danger of been hit by his ball, on the back of most scorecards it says please avoid slow play at all times. keep up with the group in front ,not the group behind, a 4 ball should let a 2ball through if holding em up

to be waiting on everyshot and the have a chance to go through and to be told no, would make most of us get riled up,no matter what age the group in front are, ok maybe he should of walked do side of hole with em and jumped on next tee in front of them, but think your giving the lad a hard time for something that could of been easily avoided if the group in front had just said yes come through when ever you want, he cert could of worded his 1st post a touch better to not get ladies and old peoples backs up

Eh? I am referring to Bobs post about walking the length of the hole then skipping onto the next tee. Maybe read the posts in context.

And anyway hitting off whilst another group is on the tee should not be condoned in any circumstances, it is down right rude at best.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
he never barged through ,think your making a mountain out of a mole hill you would make a good jourenelist,

in the opening post he stated '
so I then took it upon myself to tee the ball and hit my drive and just walk past them and my playing partner did the same.'

so what would you call that?

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
stevie_r,

I don't think that doing what I did is any ruder or worse than you and Snelly calling me names on an open forum.

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
in the opening post he stated '
so I then took it upon myself to tee the ball and hit my drive and just walk past them and my playing partner did the same.'

so what would you call that?

barging is shoving people out the way, give the lad abit a slack, or are you one of the only people i have ever met who dont moan about getting held up,

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
barging is shoving people out the way, give the lad abit a slack, or are you one of the only people i have ever met who dont moan about getting held up,

Semantics.

Most people on here would have agreed with the OP, however the way he went about it and his subsequent refusal to accept it was wrong is what has annoyed most people (I would guess)