Bloody old people and woman......

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most of our seniors, including myself and playing partner are five day members leaving the weekend to the slower younger members. It would only cost me an extra £100 a year for seven days but I'm golfed out come friday and HID might have a say anyway if I did weekends as well.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems like there's a few issues at your place.

Have you spoken to any committee members or at an AGM about them?

If it is such a problem about booking tee times I'm guessing you're not alone so there would be a number of people all coming from the same position?

Yes the issue arises soon as the clocks go back and stays an issue until the nights get lighter then it seems to be forgotton about until the clocks go back again:) then it starts all over again. Unfortunately we are in the minority as the club has an extremely large senior membership and a very large ladies section again most of whom are senior age so they all stick and vote together for everything and it is very clickly who gets onto the comittee so it is a problem that is going to be ongoing for a number of years unfortunately. But yes the issue has been raised on a few occasions:smirk:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I retired at 50. God I wish I had time to play in the week. Even in the summer I'm hard pushed to get a few holes in, in the evening. The only time I can play is at weekend. But hard to get on its full of kids/youths, with little or no manners. Some of them are so slooooooow as they hack around. By the way I'm 65 next month and we still go round in about 3.5 hrs(2 ball). Rather than the 4 plus of most members young and old. Think also there are afew on here that will be lucky to reach retirement with their atitude.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I retired at 50. God I wish I had time to play in the week. Even in the summer I'm hard pushed to get a few holes in, in the evening. The only time I can play is at weekend. But hard to get on its full of kids/youths, with little or no manners. Some of them are so slooooooow as they hack around. By the way I'm 65 next month and we still go round in about 3.5 hrs(2 ball). Rather than the 4 plus of most members young and old. Think also there are afew on here that will be lucky to reach retirement with their atitude.

Retired at 50 eh!! hope that was through your own choice and not redundancy or ill health? If it was through your own choice then lucky you:) if there are kids/youths on the course with little or no manners then they want shafting as well:thup:

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ironically this thread has become a discussion about senior golfers when it's in fact nothing to do with it.

Leaney, the guys (and gal) holding you up were idiots for not letting you through. You were however equally idiotic for teeing off when it really wasn't safe to do so.

If 90% of the members at your club are OAPS then let me assure you this has happenned to me 3 or 4 times since i started playing and every time it has been people of different ages holding me up before begrudgingly letting me through 3/8/12 holes later!

However not once did i hit my golf ball at them.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit of all 3 would take all night to explain though. But basic facts were. Some health prob caused by shift work. Redundencies were on the way. But you got a better deal if you volunteered, So hobsons choice really. Surprising how hard it was to ajust to not going out to work, daft really, but old habits and all that.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ironically this thread has become a discussion about senior golfers when it's in fact nothing to do with it.

Leaney, the guys (and gal) holding you up were idiots for not letting you through. You were however equally idiotic for teeing off when it really wasn't safe to do so.

If 90% of the members at your club are OAPS then let me assure you this has happenned to me 3 or 4 times since i started playing and every time it has been people of different ages holding me up before begrudgingly letting me through 3/8/12 holes later!

However not once did i hit my golf ball at them.

Agree with the above. Although he did not hit the ball at them but it was still silly, done more through sheer frustration I suspect rather than anything more sinister. We have all done something through anger or frustration at some time i'm sure.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it is yes, what I don't find fair is that at a significant number of clubs the under 30's pay a reduced sub

That is done to attract new members into the club. Which when they are more likely to have big mortages and kids etc might enable them to join a club when otherwise maybe they coudn't afford to. Again our club has this offer the reason the club gave was to lower the average age of the membership. However I joined when I was older than 30 so did not get this offer either:)

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit of all 3 would take all night to explain though. But basic facts were. Some health prob caused by shift work. Redundencies were on the way. But you got a better deal if you volunteered, So hobsons choice really. Surprising how hard it was to ajust to not going out to work, daft really, but old habits and all that.

Sorry to hear that. Funny how most of us moan when we are going to work then soon as we don't we wonder what to do and have difficulties adjusting.

S

Snelly

My golf club in Worthing ..............................................................................so I then took it upon myself to tee the ball and hit my drive and just walk past them and my playing partner did the same.

I live quite near Worthing. What course is this?

Why did they let you become a member? Clearly you are a chav.

Snelly.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is done to attract new members into the club. Which when they are more likely to have big mortages and kids etc might enable them to join a club when otherwise maybe they coudn't afford to. Again our club has this offer the reason the club gave was to lower the average age of the membership. However I joined when I was older than 30 so did not get this offer either:)

I'm fully aware of the reasoning behind it mate, still think it doesn't fully hold water though unless your mortgage finishes at 30 and you put your kids in care on the same day :eek::whoo:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm fully aware of the reasoning behind it mate, still think it doesn't fully hold water though unless your mortgage finishes at 30 and you put your kids in care on the same day :eek::whoo:

Whatever anybody thinks about it really it does not seem to work. We have lots of juniors and younger members up to about 21 then there seems to be a large age gap until you hit the thirtysomethings(me) and older sections so it does not upset anyone hardly as there are very few that can take advantage of the offer so for once this is one thing that nobody bothers about:cheers:

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I live quite near Worthing. What course is this?

Why did they let you become a member? Clearly you are a chav.

Snelly.

I'm not sure why the more 'senior' members on this forum have resorted to name calling.

I have broad enough shoulders to take everybody's opinion on the chin, that's the point of a forum.

It's very easy to sit on a computer and call others names.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure why the more 'senior' members on this forum have resorted to name calling.

I have broad enough shoulders to take everybody's opinion on the chin, that's the point of a forum.

It's very easy to sit on a computer and call others names.

probably because from the outset you insantly went on an ageist rant and then confessed to the big no no of putting other golfers at risk. I would rather get stuck behind a slow group than in front of some knob who thinks it is acceptable to drive past me - who, by the way, would only do it once

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
probably because from the outset you insantly went on an ageist rant and then confessed to the big no no of putting other golfers at risk. I would rather get stuck behind a slow group than in front of some knob who thinks it is acceptable to drive past me - who, by the way, would only do it once

No golfers were put at risk.

As I've already said... they were not in front of me when I hit my tee shot.

As for the 'ageist' things....I said that 90% of the members at my club are senior, so that may be the reason. All I was doing was speaking from experience.

Since my original post, plenty of people have come on here and have called the younger players 'slow'. Yet they're not ageist? Even though they were generalizing.

Now it is you that is calling me a name. And why would they only do it once to you? Sounds like a threat.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it's very cowardly calling others names when they're hidden behind a computer screen. It's a little sad.

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In defence of leaney,by my reading of the post did he at no point put other players at risk,he just teed off while they were waiting,we all get frustrated at slow play, and the 4 ball should of known the rules and asked him if he wanted to play through.

But I dont think its just older players that are to blame with slow play.

Bythesea

Medal Winner
Visit site
Gentlemen-Gentlemen--- Leany has provided us with a thread that has brought out the best and the worst in us today. Name calling on the Forum is probably no better than bad behaviour on the Golf Course. Let us retire to our beds and sleep on it, waking to remember to try to put some of those good practices that have exhorted into practice in 2012. One thing you can be certain of is that this is not the last time that the thorny subject of slow play will be aired. I know it's a bit late but I wish you all A Happy and (PEACEFUL) New Yaer

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gentlemen-Gentlemen--- Leany has provided us with a thread that has brought out the best and the worst in us today. Name calling on the Forum is probably no better than bad behaviour on the Golf Course. Let us retire to our beds and sleep on it, waking to remember to try to put some of those good practices that have exhorted into practice in 2012. One thing you can be certain of is that this is not the last time that the thorny subject of slow play will be aired. I know it's a bit late but I wish you all A Happy and (PEACEFUL) New Yaer

eat my shorts ;):)

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In defence of leaney,by my reading of the post did he at no point put other players at risk,he just teed off while they were waiting,we all get frustrated at slow play, and the 4 ball should of known the rules and asked him if he wanted to play through.

But I dont think its just older players that are to blame with slow play.

agree with quote above,but to be told no you carnt come through is poor etiqutte and bad manners aswel,if they had said yes no problem then there would of been this problem,but we all pay our subs and they have as much right as you, but they also should no the rules on if you losing pace with the group in front and holding up the group behind you should let em through, i play with alot of old peolple at my club and most play at a very good pace