Bloody old people and woman......

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've had enough of old people causing slow play and not allowing others to play through.

I'm not being 'ageist', I'm being 'fatual' because I've only ever seen them doing it.

My golf club in Worthing is full of old people, at least 90% are OAPS so this might be why I only ever see the old guys holding up play.

Today me and my playing partner were once again stuck behind old people but with the added bonus of one of them was a woman (Hence, bloody old people and 'woman' not 'women').

It's worth noting that prior to tee off, I was practising in the net and the same woman was using the net next to me. She happened to actually shank a shot into my net, so you can probably see where this going.

Anyway.....We were stuck behind 3 old boys and this woman. She must have carded a 200 round at least and the blokes weren't much better.

To make matters worse, their play was so slow. It's as if they had all day, which I'm sure they have but it's not fair on other members.

We must have been waiting 5-10 minutes on each tee box until the 8th when I decided that enough was enough and I asked if we could play through.

The woman was clearly not happy with my question and she told me 'no'.
She then duffed her tee shot 10 yards, so I then took it upon myself to tee the ball and hit my drive and just walk past them and my playing partner did the same.

They should have called us through and they certainly shouldn't have said 'no' when we politely asked to play through.

It was decided a while ago that I would be joining another club because of the slow play at my course but even with my membership not expiring until June, I don't think I'll be playing there again.

Does anyone else this issue? Do you have slow play at your course?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Exactly why i left my last club, too many retired OAPS who played everyday and weekends and were so slow

Changed clubs and every game is moving nicely without stupid delays and its cheaper !

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We must have been waiting 5-10 minutes on each tee box until the 8th when I decided that enough was enough and I asked if we could play through.

The woman was clearly not happy with my question and she told me 'no'.
She then duffed her tee shot 10 yards, so I then took it upon myself to tee the ball and hit my drive and just walk past them and my playing partner did the same.

Oh My..........Thats JUST CLASS :cheers: Would Love to seen that

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I bet I would outpace you over 18 holes. Don't you dare tar us with the same brush.

I bet you wouldn't...

You might go around at a good pace but the old people I see, simply don't.

I'm sure they think they also think thet are going plenty quick enough...

kmdmr1

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair at our club the oldies (Men) dont really hold anyone up,we played this morning in a 3 ball and the group in front was a 4 ball which included 4 oldies,and it took us 14 holes even to get near them,they may not hit the ball far,but they always hit the fairway and around the greens some of them are superb,as for the (Ladies) they just like to have a chat whilst playing a round,so we do try avoid them,if we have a ladies comp on we turn up approx 2hrs after the last tee and everything is sorted....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Some duff it along at a steady pace as they don't need the fairway to be clear, 150yd gap is enough and they'll be hot on your tail whilst your putting out for birdie 3 to go 1 under par whilst they're waiting to play their 6th or 7th shot ;)

nb: some younger people play like this too ;)

It's not really anything to do with the age... it's class and respect. These people clearly have none and yet would probably demand it for themselves. No different that a 4 ball of knobs in jeans at your local muni.

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If you play as a two ball, a fourball is bound to seem slow. You should have been let through earlier, but if you think it is just older players that are slow you can't have been playing that long. Oh wait you started in June 2011.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh My..........Thats JUST CLASS :cheers: Would Love to seen that

Me too. Good job you didn't hit any of them though. I see it all the time. Went to a course in Derby once where you could play from whatever tees you wanted and I saw groups of very high handicappers playing off the back tees which caused no end of delays 6 1/2 hour round followed. I am not into speed golfer but this is taking the mick a little. To me people that are retired should have limited playing time at the weekend unless there is an official comp on.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They pay their membership, they are entitled to play. At what ever speed they want. But, they should let others through. Do what you did at my club, you would be up before the committee, and suspended for dangerous play. Last lot to do this got 3 months. In your case, the group in front were wrong to not let you through, but you were dangerous. I know which I prefer.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bet you wouldn't...

You might go around at a good pace but the old people I see, simply don't.

I'm sure they think they also think thet are going plenty quick enough...

I play in our Seniors comps on weekdays and also play in weekend comps when the "younger element" play. The weekend rounds are slower.

Bythesea

Medal Winner
Visit site
Leaney, if you are lucky and you miss all the nasty things, like Motor Nurone Disease that took my dear Wife at 66, you will grow old, and some young scrote will be moaning about you, no doubt.
Let me hasten to say that everybody on a golf course should be aware of what is going on, in front and behind them, and it is their duty to behave responsibly!!.
But it is not a perfect world as you may have noticed.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They pay their membership, they are entitled to play. At what ever speed they want. But, they should let others through. Do what you did at my club, you would be up before the committee, and suspended for dangerous play. Last lot to do this got 3 months. In your case, the group in front were wrong to not let you through, but you were dangerous. I know which I prefer.

When they were stood to the right of me on the teebox, it isn't dangerous play.

The last one to tee off in their group was still dithering and putting their club away, so I then smashed one before they moved on.

I would happily be called in front of the committee because I was not the one going against club rules. They were as they would not allow quicker groups past.

A few of us were having a discussion in the bar afterwards and they were of the same opinion as me, as they too have had enough of it.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
nothing wrong with slow players AS LONG as they keep letting people thru who are right behind them and AS LONG as there is space ahead to do so.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Leaney, if you are lucky and you miss all the nasty things, like Motor Nurone Disease that took my dear Wife at 66, you will grow old, and some young scrote will be moaning about you, no doubt.
Let me hasten to say that everybody on a golf course should be aware of what is going on, in front and behind them, and it is their duty to behave responsibly!!.

I will grow old but nobody will be moaning about me because I will have the courtesy to let other play through and not be selfish.

I've worked hard and improved a lot over recent months. But it was only in June when I started golf, that I was a very slow player because I was only just starting out. And I can say that I let others through all the time and most of them were seniors.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Bythesea,

I'm very sorry to hear such sad news.

Dreamer2

Head Pro
Visit site
at my club there are lots of oldie but to be fair they don't hang about played with a 70year old the other day he slips on the banking on the side of the green & is leg kind of twisted back there was 4 holes to go ,i told him to go back to club house & rest ,,like heck did he i couldn't believe he carried on had a drink with him after just making sure he was all right ,,& would you believe it he was on the course the following day brilliant

going back to your question i was at another course by myself there was 4 old men teeing off so i stood there waiting for common courtesy to be asked if i wanted to play through but NO

so at the next tee i asked one of the chaps very clearly can i play through ,, he replied What ,,i asked again in a stern voice ,he looks at is friends & shouted can he play through ,there was no reply from any of them so he says yes,,,i than hammed my tee shoot straight down the fairway out driving the 4 of them which i was pleased about

i have no problems with the oldies at my club (I'm 39yrs)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
When they were stood to the right of me on the teebox, it isn't dangerous play.

The last one to tee off in their group was still dithering and putting their club away, so I then smashed one before they moved on.

I would happily be called in front of the committee because I was not the one going against club rules. They were as they would not allow quicker groups past.

A few of us were having a discussion in the bar afterwards and they were of the same opinion as me, as they too have had enough of it.

It was still a fairly irresponsible and frankly stupid thing to do. Regardless of where they were you should not have done that.