Bloody old people and woman......

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It was still a fairly irresponsible and frankly stupid thing to do. Regardless of where they were you should not have done that.

I would do again in a heartbeat.

I'm just a little annoyed at myself for being polite and putting up with it for 8 holes.

They say that two wrongs don't make a right but at least I saved myself an hour of standing around waiting for them.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When they were stood to the right of me on the teebox, it isn't dangerous play.

The last one to tee off in their group was still dithering and putting their club away, so I then smashed one before they moved on.

I would happily be called in front of the committee because I was not the one going against club rules. They were as they would not allow quicker groups past.

A few of us were having a discussion in the bar afterwards and they were of the same opinion as me, as they too have had enough of it.

What you did was as rude as they were, even if it was not dangerous. I take it you would not have hit any one, even if you squirted it off the toe?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm just a little annoyed at myself for being polite and putting up with it for 8 holes.

They say that two wrongs don't make a right but at least I saved myself an hour of standing around waiting for them.

Which goes against the etiquette of the game. I am not for an instant condoning slow play but your attitude, especially if this is the way you react to being annoyed by something on the course, to the whole thing will not do you any good in the long run with this game

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think its bad enough that a young gun feels it necessary for a display of total arrogance on the course...

Then feels it necessary to make it doubly worse to come on to a forum and openly boast of his 'prowess'...

Hopefully, some tolerance will come with age...

Last edited by a moderator:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Totaly 100% agree with you that they were wrong & ye should have been let through BUT YOU WERENT , what you did was rude ignorant & dangerous , id rather have the slow player than someone as dangerous & careless as you at the club , if you have a problem report it when you get in ,
i was sure the OP was a wind up , but the more i read your posts including this one all i hear is... me me me I I I I ,, I saved MYSELF an hour , wake up dude you been selfish is equal to the people holding you up been selfish .. Id hate to hold you up when you are driving ,

I saved the mods & job & went back & edited before i posted , im nearly a year on here now & never once had to do that before, even when some were rude to me on here ..

Last edited:

DCB

Visit site
Some of the slowest players I've seen in the last couple of years have been young guns who go through the whole setup routine complete with 3-4 practise swings on every shot.

At least us oldie don't do that.... we don't have the energy for it ;)

Most of the older brigade have a modicum of decorum and an understanding of the importance of good behaviour and manners. Whilst those described by the OP may have been in the wrong for not letting the OP through, the response shown by the OP and his partner was disgraceful.

Here's hoping he learns from the responses on here.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
really? I mean no, really? you feel you have the right to determine who can use the course when solely to suit you? brilliant

Not just to suit me mate no, everybody that cant get a game during the week as they are out working.People that are not at work during the week can usually play at any point during this time but no the course is virtually empty during the week when a lot of us are at work. So what happens at the weekend the people that are working during the week struggle to get a tee time at weekends. You telling me that's right because I and a lot of the other chaps in my position dont see it that way.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not just to suit me mate no, everybody that cant get a game during the week as they are out working.People that are not at work during the week can usually play at any point during this time but no the course is virtually empty during the week when a lot of us are at work. So what happens at the weekend the people that are working during the week struggle to get a tee time at weekends. You telling me that's right because I and a lot of the other chaps in my position dont see it that way.

But then surely the older members who only want to play midweek would decide to go for a 5 day membership?

Not all older members have jack to do all week but play golf!!

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

You are making a wild assed assumption that someone of pensionable age has absolutely nothing to do during the week but watch countdown. They have as much right as anyone else to play when they wish (restricted tee times excepted). I presume that you will still have the same opinion once you are in their position? no, thought not

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You are making a wild assed assumption that someone of pensionable age has absolutely nothing to do during the week but watch countdown. They have as much right as anyone else to play when they wish (restricted tee times excepted). I presume that you will still have the same opinion once you are in their position? no, thought not

He may never get to be in their position.....I know that I certainly won't.

I'm 25 and will never get to retire at a sensible age because by the time I get there, the retirement age would have been pushed so far back. It's a fact unfortunately.

Here's to the golden generation that had everything....

Note to MegaSteve... no need for the personal name calling. Enjoy your retirement and count yourself lucky that you'll have one.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
But then surely the older members who only want to play midweek would decide to go for a 5 day membership?

Not all older members have jack to do all week but play golf!!

Doesn't work like that at our place as at our track they get an offer once they have been a member for so long where as a 7 day membership costs the same as a 5 day so what happens they have the 7 day anyway whether they have any intention of playing at weekends or not. I am just on about the period where the dark nights are here as well not the rest of the year. Din;t say they have jack all to do all week either but I am sure if they are off all week they the majority can get a couple of rounds in during week. My Dad is retired and has lots of interest away from Golf but he gets 2 rounds in during the week and more during the better months.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
He may never get to be in their position.....I know that I certainly won't.

I'm 25 and will never get to retire at a sensible age because by the time I get there, the retirement age would have been pushed so far back. It's a fact unfortunately.

Here's to the golden generation that had everything....

Note to MegaSteve... no need for the personal name calling. Enjoy your retirement and count yourself lucky that you'll have one.

I hope I will, eventually - currently planning on 67 but who knows by the time I get there!

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
there's a few old guys at our club who are a pain in the butt and play very slowly.but there is also some who play at a decent pace.

it's woman who i find the worst,i'm not being sexist as there is plenty woman who can play decent golf and at a decent pace but not at my club.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn't work like that at our place as at our track they get an offer once they have been a member for so long where as a 7 day membership costs the same as a 5 day so what happens they have the 7 day anyway whether they have any intention of playing at weekends or not. I am just on about the period where the dark nights are here as well not the rest of the year. Din;t say they have jack all to do all week either but I am sure if they are off all week they the majority can get a couple of rounds in during week. My Dad is retired and has lots of interest away from Golf but he gets 2 rounds in during the week and more during the better months.

I think what should be remembered here is that a fair number of the more elderly members have probably been members for a considerable number of years; therefore having contributed a fair sum to the coffers of the club. Is it then fair to say that they can only play at a time that doesn't interfere with the rounds of the newer and younger members? Personally I think not.

The main and most important issue here is one of etiquette and decent manners. Just before xmas I was out on a solo round. A mixed four ball of elderly golfers (but not particularly slow or short) let me through. A mixed (again fairly elderly) two ball let me through - in fact they virtually insisted. Next I'm behind a three ball of youngish guys - did I get invited to play through? what do you reckon :whistle:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think what should be remembered here is that a fair number of the more elderly members have probably been members for a considerable number of years; therefore having contributed a fair sum to the coffers of the club. Is it then fair to say that they can only play at a time that doesn't interfere with the rounds of the newer and younger members? Personally I think not.

The main and most important issue here is one of etiquette and decent manners. Just before xmas I was out on a solo round. A mixed four ball of elderly golfers (but not particularly slow or short) let me through. A mixed (again fairly elderly) two ball let me through - in fact they virtually insisted. Next I'm behind a three ball of youngish guys - did I get invited to play through? what do you reckon :whistle:

Cant disagree that they haven't contributed again did I say that anywhere in any of my posts? or that they sit watching countdown:confused: Is it fair then that they are now on reduced rates when the normal subs rise every year and for several months of the year we cant get a tee time at weekends that will enable us to finish 18 holes before it is pitch Black. Withe regards to slow play or not being allowed through then Women are definitely the worst offenders for this but like anywhere there is always some that play their own set of rules be it seniors, youngsters,middle age or young men and women. If myself or my group are holding anyone up then we without hesitation let them through and would expect it to treated the same way.

Last edited:

Dreamer2

Head Pro
Visit site
What you did was as rude as they were, even if it was not dangerous. I take it you would not have hit any one, even if you squirted it off the toe?

par five me & me mate was waiting for the players on the green so we cauld take ower 2nd shot you never know we might reach the green then this ball rolls-up to my mates foot they had teed of before we rang the bell,,so he politely back heeled the ball behind the tree the other guy didn't look happy haven to dink is ball out from behind the tree

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cant disagree that they haven't contributed again did I say that anywhere in any of my posts? or that they sit watching countdown:confused: Is it fair then that they are now on reduced rates when the normal subs rise every year and for several months of the year we cant get a tee time at weekends that will enable us to finish 18 holes before it is pitch Black. Withe regards to slow play or not being allowed through then Women are definitely the worst offenders for this but like anywhere there is always some that play their own set of rules be it seniors, youngsters,middle age or young men and women. If myself or my group are holding anyone up then we without hesitation let them through and would expect it to treated the same way.

Seems like there's a few issues at your place.

Have you spoken to any committee members or at an AGM about them?

If it is such a problem about booking tee times I'm guessing you're not alone so there would be a number of people all coming from the same position?