Bloody old people and woman......

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
When and where did I refuse to accept that I was wrong?

I never said that I was right or wrong.

I am my own person, I don't follow others like sheep - like most people on this forum seem to do.

The fact is that the four ball in front of me broke the rules, I then insisted on playing ahead of them.

I never 'barged' through them. And whoever thinks I did 'barge' through - isn't much of man if you think that was confrontational.

I'm guessing that the older people this forum would rather I waited until after the 18th hole, for me then to 'go and tell on them' like a 5 year old child.

I've been called a 'knob' and a 'chav'. But....I can bet my life that I'm doing better for myself that you what you are. And if you spent your life actually sticking up for yourself and not 'telling on people' every time you didn't like something, I think you would have had chance of making something of your life. Instead of all 'ganging up' on someone who had enough of a four ball, taking all day.

I'm guessing you all read the Daily Mail?

"I would do again in a heartbeat.

I'm just a little annoyed at myself for being polite and putting up with it for 8 holes."

The comment above made by you earlier would suggest you are under the opinion you did no wrong..
You say 2 people called you names , i dont think sreve_r was aimed at you, i think it was a general comment in the reply to you .. i dont agree with name calling on here as in my opinion it deminishes your argument if you do .. you are generalising the whole forum , you do know you can leave at any stage if you dont like it ,or if you think people are sheep on here .

you played through without been invited thats barging through whether you like to think it is or not , the barging through wasnt confrontational but could have caused confrontation , 3 OAP & a woman were hardly going to confront ye , so if you are commenting on what is & is not "much of a man" is bullying old people (whose actions were wrong , on that i agree) the sign of a man? .. i will pass on that label then if thats what it takes .. just for the record i deal with confrontation every weeekend in my job so i do know the meaning of the word/term & im very used to sticking up for myself & others , oh & i have never read the daily mail , so id apreciate if you would stop generalising people, well me anyhow, coz as you say, others can defend themselves.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
oh dear
no-nod.gif

So much anger, if you are doing so well, why don't you just relax and enjoy it.

Surely if the weight of opinion is against what you did, you must think you did something wrong.

at this rate it won't be long until the 'I'm leaving in a huff thread'!

Anger? No idea where you get that from.

I would do it again if the same situation happened.

I will not allow old people to ruin my round of golf because they will not stick to the rules. (The same applies if they were young).

Is there a rule that I've actually broken? There might be but I'm not sure.

I do know for certain though, that is was them that first broke the rules. But the oldies will stick together and ignore this fact.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Leaney, I asked you earlier to quote where I 'name called' you, you haven't done so. Possibly because I didn't, I stated that anyone who drove the ball past me from a following group is a knob - I stand by that statement.

I feel you certainly had a reason to feel aggrieved, not getting called through when it is clearly common sense is immensely irritating. But it happens, get used to it. The fact of the matter is that you pushed in front of another group, where on earth would we be if we all did that every time we got held up a bit? it would be chaos.

You pushed in front of a mixed group of elderly people - would you have behaved in the same manner if it was a four ball of guys who were built like front row forwards and looked like their other hobby was biting the heads off rotweillers and who considered having both ears an unnecessary extravagance? I reckon not and therefore mate that technically makes you a bit of a bully.

Once you are club captain you can push in - but that's another thread entirely.

Your title of this thread makes it appear that you have pre-conceived prejudices against certain groups of the population based on age and gender and that makes you a bigot unfortunately.

Yes you were right to feel aggrieved and irritated but there are ways and means of dealing with it.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
"I would do again in a heartbeat.

I'm just a little annoyed at myself for being polite and putting up with it for 8 holes."

The comment above made by you earlier would suggest you are under the opinion you did no wrong..
You say 2 people called you names , i dont think sreve_r was aimed at you, i think it was a general comment in the reply to you .. i dont agree with name calling on here as in my opinion it deminishes your argument if you do .. you are generalising the whole forum , you do know you can leave at any stage if you dont like it ,or if you think people are sheep on here .

you played through without been invited thats barging through whether you like to think it is or not , the barging through wasnt confrontational but could have caused confrontation , 3 OAP & a woman were hardly going to confront ye , so if you are commenting on what is & is not "much of a man" is bullying old people (whose actions were wrong , on that i agree) the sign of a man? .. i will pass on that label then if thats what it takes .. just for the record i deal with confrontation every weeekend in my job so i do know the meaning of the word/term & im very used to sticking up for myself & others , oh & i have never read the daily mail , so id apreciate if you would stop generalising people, well me anyhow, coz as you say, others can defend themselves.

This is now the second post that has mentioned something about me leaving the forum.

Do you really think that everybody's comments on here would make me leave the forum?

I like the fact that my post had caused such a debate. It certainly beats the usual 'Which golf shoes?' or 'Will Tiger ever win another another major?' post. Not there's anything wrong with these.

I do think that most people on this forum are pretty boring and do follow what others say.

At least I'm honest and brave enough to stand up for myself on my own.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anger? No idea where you get that from.

I would do it again if the same situation happened.

I will not allow old people to ruin my round of golf because they will not stick to the rules. (The same applies if they were young).

Is there a rule that I've actually broken? There might be but I'm not sure.

I do know for certain though, that is was them that first broke the rules. But the oldies will stick together and ignore this fact.

They aren't rules that the 4 ball or you have broken, they are breaches of etiquette, your breach IMO happens to be worse.

What you have done pretty much tears the fabric of the game. If everyone behaved like you have done then there would be carnage on a Saturday morning at every club in the country.

I've got a couple of questions;

Is this a club where you are a member?

Would you have done what you did if the 4 ball weren't elderly and of mixed sex ??

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
At least I'm honest and brave enough to stand up for myself on my own.

No you are coming across as a bully and pig headed, even when so many people are telling you that the way you "dealt" with the situation was wrong you still insist that you have done no wrong and would gladly do it again.

This really should be my last post but I fear it wont be.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Leaney, I asked you earlier to quote where I 'name called' you, you haven't done so. Possibly because I didn't, I stated that anyone who drove the ball past me from a following group is a knob - I stand by that statement.

I feel you certainly had a reason to feel aggrieved, not getting called through when it is clearly common sense is immensely irritating. But it happens, get used to it. The fact of the matter is that you pushed in front of another group, where on earth would we be if we all did that every time we got held up a bit? it would be chaos.

You pushed in front of a mixed group of elderly people - would you have behaved in the same manner if it was a four ball of guys who were built like front row forwards and looked like their other hobby was biting the heads off rotweillers and who considered having both ears an unnecessary extravagance? I reckon not and therefore mate that technically makes you a bit of a bully.

Your title of this thread makes it appear that you have pre-conceived prejudices against certain groups of the population based on age and gender and that makes you a bigot unfortunately.

Yes you were right to feel aggrieved and irritated but there are ways and means of dealing with it.

It was clear that you were talking about me. If you are now denying that, then fine.

If I called someone a name, I would certainly have the back bone not to back track.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You sure about that? Is it a rule or a suggestion.

If you complained to the club something may have been done about it now, after your actions, you could be reprimanded by your club. I know what I would rather have done.

This is the last from me on this.

Obviously not....

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't it be a better idea to lock this thread? Nothing is going to be gained by carrying on. They were wrong, he was wrong, and everyone harping on about it is not going to change anything....

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

It wouldn't matter who they were or what they looked like. I would do the same thing because they were in the wrong.

DCB

Visit site
Gentlemen, we've been round the houses on this one for the last 24 hours. We'll just have to agree to disagree, whatever your opinion is.

The thread is in danger of descending into a tit for tat name calling exercise now. If it continues in this manner the thread will be locked.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Leaney

I'm afraid your responses are making aposition that was difficult to defend originaly now impossible to do so. YO bullied your way through a group you knew wouldn't answer back. Did that make you feel the big man. I'm not old and nor are my regular playing partners but I guarantee if you tried that at my place and indeed any number of other clubs I could name you'd be in a spot of bother and it wouldn't be with the committee.

Accept that you were in the wrong and move on. The fourball transgressed on a point of etiquette and SHOULD have let you through. They didn't. You could have asked politely earlier if you could play thorugh. You didn't. You could have explained to the lady and the group why it would be appropriate to let you through. You didn't. You acted irresponsibly and sadly show no remorse.

In your signature you say practice and enjoy and you should follow your won advice. I don't know where you play or whether you are playing on any GM meets this year but I'm afraid I wouldn't want to play with someone who has such a poor attitude

Pro Zach

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Leaney

I'm not old and nor are my regular playing partners but I guarantee if you tried that at my place and indeed any number of other clubs I could name you'd be in a spot of bother and it wouldn't be with the committee.

So what would you do that didn't make you guilty of what the OP is accused of?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
@ Leaney, what's done is done and harping about what should or shouldn't have happened is just scratching an open sore.

Can I suggest that for your own benefit that if the same happens again, and you're not let through, you follow the accepted method of raising your complaint, i.e. you write in to the committee stating what went on. You will find you will have the support of the committee and the vast majority of members. You will be seen as an active member of the club who is keen to see the accepted standards upheld.....

If you follow the course of action you applied yesterday you will come a cropper. You may well find things like month bans and expelled from the club won't be too far away. As many have said on here, if you did it to them you'd find yourself in hot water. Sooner or later you'll do it to someone who'll complain to the committee - it's not a battle you'd win.

This is just a piece of advice from an old (slow?) coffin dodger who's passing on a bit of advice about how it works.......... note; the Sunday fourball I play in get's round in about 3hrs 15mins and has an average age of 66.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Semantics.

Most people on here would have agreed with the OP, however the way he went about it and his subsequent refusal to accept it was wrong is what has annoyed most people (I would guess)

Pedant

We all get held up at times - what I wouldn't do is force my way in front of another group

When and where did I refuse to accept that I was wrong?

I never said that I was right or wrong.

I am my own person, I don't follow others like sheep - like most people on this forum seem to do.

The fact is that the four ball in front of me broke the rules, I then insisted on playing ahead of them.

I never 'barged' through them. And whoever thinks I did 'barge' through - isn't much of man if you think that was confrontational.

I'm guessing that the older people this forum would rather I waited until after the 18th hole, for me then to 'go and tell on them' like a 5 year old child.

I've been called a 'knob' and a 'chav'. But....I can bet my life that I'm doing better for myself that you what you are. And if you spent your life actually sticking up for yourself and not 'telling on people' every time you didn't like something, I think you would have had chance of making something of your life. Instead of all 'ganging up' on someone who had enough of a four ball, taking all day.

I'm guessing you all read the Daily Mail?

So what would you do that didn't make you guilty of what the OP is accused of?

Well we wouldn't resort to violence as assumed but we'd make pretty damn sure they were put straight about the rights and wrongs of playing through. We've a few that will call a spade a spade and would spell out what etiquette means in simple to understand anglo saxon phrases. I'd like to think that our 4 ball wouldn't be in such a position and as we play on a crowded course on a Saturday morning with the best will in the world a two ball isn't going to get through too many three and four balls as there really isn't anywhere for them to go.

If all else failed I'd wait for the OP to catch us up on the next tee and start reading aloud from my latest blog entry or talk him through my latest swing change That should do the trick

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I would do the same thing because they were in the wrong.

Can you not see that although, yes, they were wrong in not letting you through, you are as much, if not more, in the wrong for playing through without being asked..?
Ettiqutte dictates that you don't just tee up and play without the "permission" of the group ahead - regardless of how slow they are. There are protocols inplace to deal with instances like this.
To my mind your actions were far worse a breach of ettiqutte than theirs.