BLM protests/ Riots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some outlets (IE Mail and Sun) have posted photos of someone rolling a bike towards a completely different horse and police officer. There is no evidence to show what caused the horse to ride into the traffic light or whether it bolted before or after the rider came off.

I don't agree with this violent protest, but it's important to get the story right when the outlets that openly support racism are trying to do down anti racists by posting fabricated versions of what happened.

Well as the video shows the horse bolting with the rider still on its' back and both horse and rider hitting the lamppost then I'm going to suggest that the horse bolted BEFORE the rider came off.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
What’s the thoughts about the destruction of Coulstons statue in Bristol today? It was ripped down & chucked in the harbour :eek:

I’m conflicted, it’s wanton vandalism but.....

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure where I’m pointing fingers at anyone ?

The subject is about the current protests and to combat the racism and persecution that black people on a daily basis in all walks of life. Hence why I was confused by your post - it wasn’t finger pointing , it was asking for clarification.
You wont takle racism or social depravation unless you look at the causes and understand why they exist, only then can you work on policy to improve things. People looking at the Slave Trade and the American Civil War are solving nothing, pointing a finger and calling someone racist achieves nothing but anger and resentment. Education, equal opportunities, understanding the reasons for deprivation and looking for solutions is what matters.

Of course racism exists and in many forms, it is also very prevalent between Blacks and Asians, between tribes and casts, it's really bad in eastern Europe, its everywhere but I would honestly say this country has one of the most accepting and fair societies. We should always do what we can to improve the lives of the most disadvantaged whatever their ethnicity.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What’s the thoughts about the destruction of Coulstons statue in Bristol today? It was ripped down & chucked in the harbour :eek:

Colston's Statue. He was a merchant that was involved in the slave trade and donated large amounts of money to Bristol. Yes, he was involved in tne slave trade. Yes, destroying his statue is mindless and achieves nothing.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Colston's Statue. He was a merchant that was involved in the slave trade and donated large amounts of money to Bristol. Yes, he was involved in tne slave trade. Yes, destroying his statue is mindless and achieves nothing.

Yet it is this that will be plastered all over the papers tomorrow, leaving the real issues aside, therefore a pointless exercise.

It will alienate many , and these unfortunately are the people that need to change

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

No conflict here. If there's good reason to remove it because of what it represents and how we now view that then do it through the proper channels. The mob taking matters into their own hands is totally out of order. The original protest was about a police officer breaking the law. So to demonstrate their opposition to this police officer, they break the law... :unsure: :rolleyes:

The police officer is being prosecuted, so should they.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Over the past couple of days and have seen the same stats over and over again and looking at pure raw numbers it’s not great at all but it’s misses a couple of things

1. The percentage of the population that are black and indeed killed by the police

2. How many of those that were killed in the act of a serious crime or those that were killed because of the colour of their skin
People committing serious crime then I would expect and hope the reaction is the same

But how many white people are killed just because they are white

Would a white man have been killed in the same situation as George Floyd ?

I know it doesn’t suit your argument but yes.....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/01/police-laughed-joked-he-lost-consciousness-handcuffs-minutes-later-he-died/?outputType=amp

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Justine_Damond

It doesn't help that US police more closely resemble a paramilitary organisation than a police force these days, buy if everyone has a closet full of AR15's it's a tricky line to walk.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first thought was to be surprised a statue to such a man was still in place in 2020. I thought it wasn't great the crowd took the law into their own hands to remove it but can understand the frustration, particularly when attempts to remove it legally had been denied. I was pleased the police took the view it would do more harm than good to intervene. And now I'm wondering how many similar men have statues honouring them around the country and how these can be legally removed.
I
Who makes that judgement any mob that wants to ?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
No conflict here. If there's good reason to remove it because of what it represents and how we now view that then do it through the proper channels. The mob taking matters into their own hands is totally out of order. The original protest was about a police officer breaking the law. So to demonstrate their opposition to this police officer, they break the law... :unsure::rolleyes:

The police officer is being prosecuted, so should they.
I meant conflicted in terms of; yes it’s a criminal act, but I can 100% see how any BLM protester may consider this a legitimate target.

Blue in Munich

Visit site

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I wonder how many people that are happy to see statues of people that did great things in a past where racism was unfortunately somewhat normal would feel to find their grandparents and great grandparents headstones trashed...

Blue in Munich

Visit site
My first thought was to be surprised a statue to such a man was still in place in 2020. I thought it wasn't great the crowd took the law into their own hands to remove it but can understand the frustration, particularly when attempts to remove it legally had been denied. I was pleased the police took the view it would do more harm than good to intervene. And now I'm wondering how many similar men have statues honouring them around the country and how these can be legally removed.

I thought it was the job of the courts to make that judgement, not the police. That's the start of a slippery slope.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I meant conflicted in terms of; yes it’s a criminal act, but I can 100% see how any BLM protester may consider this a legitimate target.
The statue was in Colston Street, just down from the Colston Hall, just short distance away is Colston Girls School one of three schools along with a number of alms houses he had built, the Universary up the road still has bursaries allocated from his funding, how much of that should we destroy. He died 300 years ago. We should learn from history, you cant change it.

Blue in Munich

Visit site

I get that, but in order to show their opposition to being treated like second class citizens, they behave like, well, second class citizens, thus reinforcing the stereotypes of which they complain. You really couldn't make it up.

The attack on Lincoln's statue is so stupid it's mind blowing.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I watched the Frankie Boyle program recently where he toured Scotland and he did a very interesting bit on I think it was Glasgow. Where it was pointed out that some streets were named after essentially slave owners who had then put their money into developing the city.

As a white middle class middle aged male who has suffered absolutely no prejudice in my life, it may come across as wonton vandalism. But I think have a decent amount of empathy and can understand why, in the current climate, people who are understandably very upset and see this statue as a symbol of a lot of what is wrong with the current situation, take matters into their own hands. As they have been waiting long enough for 'the establishment' for want of a better word, to instigate change. Many great things have come out of protests, I expect this is just another one.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I get that, but in order to show their opposition to being treated like second class citizens, they behave like, well, second class citizens, thus reinforcing the stereotypes of which they complain. You really couldn't make it up.

The attack on Lincoln's statue is so stupid it's mind blowing.

Three have been many movements against things like racial segregation and gay rights that have resulted in change where I am sure a lot of people at the time would have claimed the protesters are behaving like 'second class citizens'. But it turned out they were in the right.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watched the Frankie Boyle program recently where he toured Scotland and he did a very interesting bit on I think it was Glasgow. Where it was pointed out that some streets were named after essentially slave owners who had then put their money into developing the city.

As a white middle class middle aged male who has suffered absolutely no prejudice in my life it may come across as wonton vandalism. But I think have a decent amount of empathy and can understand why, in the current climate, people who are understandably very upset and see this statue as a symbol of a lot of what is wrong with the current situation, take matters into their own hands. As they have been waiting long enough for 'the establishment' for want of a better word, to instigate change. Many great things have come out of protests, I expect this is just another one.
Should they burn books?

Status
Not open for further replies.