Being Paired up at a Visiting course

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

I had booked a course up as a two ball on a top 100 course and just found out that we may be paired up and have been taken a little aback with it, as wouldn't wish to certainly not when paying the kind of money they ask for.

Surprised as never come across as being paired up on a visiting course(seen it at the weekend at home courses as a member, which I am fine with as it is peak time). And I do appreciate that a 2 ball gets in less money than a 4 ball .;)

So thought I would ask does your course pair up visiting golfers if they book up a tee time at your club ?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I had booked a course up as a two ball on a top 100 course and just found out that we may be paired up and have been taken a little aback with it, as wouldn't wish to certainly not when paying the kind of money they ask for.

Surprised as never come across as being paired up on a visiting course(seen it at the weekend at home courses as a member, which I am fine with as it is peak time). And I do appreciate that a 2 ball gets in less money than a 4 ball .;)

So thought I would ask does your course pair up visiting golfers if they book up a tee time at your club ?
We got paired up at Carnoustie last time I played it (couple of years ago) - to be honest I was expecting it and the people we paired with were nice folks - it's normal

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine doesn't but we are not a top 100 course. Two green fees at one of those places is a lot of money so I understand why they want to maximise their income.

I played a top 100 course early this year and was told the same but thankfully the course was near empty and so we just played, the two of us. I am due to play one next April and have been told the same. Ideally we will be just the two of us again but if not we will get on with it, we have been forewarned after all. Hopefully the pair playing with us would be nice but if not we will just play our own game and blank them out. I will not allow them to disrupt our enjoyment, playing these courses is an occasion, and quite an outlay.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have had a single player added to our group twice when visiting Turnberry (both pre. Trump before anyone attempts to go off at a tangent...).

Wasn't a surprise as it's clear they do this in the T&C's when booking...

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get this a lot when I play in the US as a single. First time I was a bit worried about it as you never know who you'll be paired with but it's always been fine. I think the folks I get paired with end up being more surprised when they hear my accent. (actually I don't have an accent, i'm English ;))

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hopefully the pair playing with us would be nice but if not we will just play our own game and blank them out. I will not allow them to disrupt our enjoyment, playing these courses is an occasion, and quite an outlay.

But you can’t really blank people out though can you? Roughly 4 hours of ignoring or just being polite to other people is hard going. You wouldn’t pay top rate to eat at an exclusive restaurant only to be told other folk will be dining at your table, so why put up with strangers on the golf course ?
As you say, it’s an occasion and at a substantial cost, just how greedy do some of courses need to be - £250 for a round of golf at Troon, that’s ridiculous in my opinion. I’m sure they can afford to “lose” the odd £500 now and then.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But you can’t really blank people out though can you? Roughly 4 hours of ignoring or just being polite to other people is hard going. You wouldn’t pay top rate to eat at an exclusive restaurant only to be told other folk will be dining at your table, so why put up with strangers on the golf course ?
As you say, it’s an occasion and at a substantial cost, just how greedy do some of courses need to be - £250 for a round of golf at Troon, that’s ridiculous in my opinion. I’m sure they can afford to “lose” the odd £500 now and then.

Ideally you are right and I would hope that situation never occurs. I suppose I was trying to put a bright spin on it in case it came up.

I guess the argument from the course would be that if you want the tee time to yourselves then pay for all 4 slots. If you only pay for 2 then accept you may get paired up. If the course is full of 4 balls anyway then you may be better off getting paired up as at least you will be going at the right pace.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I go overseas with my wife both playing and we virtually alway get someone added. Can greatly add (or detract) from the experience, virtually always it has added to it. Played with folk from all over the world as a result...and made contacts for when I visit there!

Celtic Manor are specific about aking up 4 balls on their booking form. But parties of 6 , expecting to play as two-threes, often find they go as a 4 and a 2 plus 2 and complain as a result.... that's worse than being paired up, it splitting up your party.

Equally, do you really want to play as a 2 ball on a course full of 4 balls???

D

Deleted member 17920

We don't pair people up as we understand they might be coming here for a special occasion and they want to play just as a 2 or 3 ball.

We do however get a lot of singles who book and ask to be paired up, we normally find a member for them to play with if we can.

D

Deleted member 21258

Out of interest, which course and what time of year?

Wasn't judging the course or really moaning about the course, its their rules and respect that. And certainly not into naming on a public forum. Was only interested if other clubs do it (I had come across the old course and Muirfield that kind of do that, but their systems are different to any others I have booked/seen online, never came across it when the system allowing you to book a 2 ball and the tee time still remains open to be booked. That is how I picked up the issue, as always check the tee time has gone to ensure the booking is complete)

The course is on Scotlands west coast, in October so not high season at about midday. The problem is now all being sorted thanks to the club sorting it out for me that I am grateful for, as have changed the time we are playing to only a 2 ball timing, so I am happy, just now means a really early morning:D Something I will pay more attention to in future, to ensure the problem doesn't arise again.(y)

Was just interested about if other courses do it, does yours D4S ?:)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not all about money. There's also the matter of having similar paced group's out in the field.
If everyone's a 4 ball I would rather be paired up than play as a 2, and if inward a 4 behind a 4 behind a 4 I would hate to have a 2 ball behind us constantly waiting!

D

Deleted member 17920

Wasn't judging the course or really moaning about the course, its their rules and respect that. And certainly not into naming on a public forum. Was only interested if other clubs do it (I had come across the old course and Muirfield that kind of do that, but their systems are different to any others I have booked/seen online, never came across it when the system allowing you to book a 2 ball and the tee time still remains open to be booked. That is how I picked up the issue, as always check the tee time has gone to ensure the booking is complete)

The course is on Scotlands west coast, in October so not high season at about midday. The problem is now all being sorted thanks to the club sorting it out for me that I am grateful for, as have changed the time we are playing to only a 2 ball timing, so I am happy, just now means a really early morning:D Something I will pay more attention to in future, to ensure the problem doesn't arise again.(y)

Was just interested about if other courses do it, does yours D4S ?:)
I think most top 100 clubs do it, I know when we went to Royal County Down and Royal Portrush both said they will pair up incomplete 4 balls on the website before booking.

D

Deleted member 17920

It's not all about money. There's also the matter of having similar paced group's out in the field.
If everyone's a 4 ball I would rather be paired up than play as a 2, and if inward a 4 behind a 4 behind a 4 I would hate to have a 2 ball behind us constantly waiting!
Agree with this, we do tell 2 balls that it is 4 ball pace of play as some think they can start at 1pm and be done for 3.30 as they are a 2 ball, we have to remind them that there are several 4 balls in front and not to rush round but enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 21258

Completely agreed and understand that.

We do not try to play when the course is rammed. I know on a number of times when we have just hung back on the group in front, wife likes a nice sandwich, coffee, sit down and cake. When the course is busy we do not want to catch the group up in front, as we don't want to pressurize the group in front or even us with rushing though people. We did it at RSD a few weekends ago, took as such ages to go round for a 2 ball but was totally chilled about it and happy as we were expected it but just wouldn't wish to be pair up, I am fairly anti-social on a personal level tbh which is the direction I am coming from .:coffee:

D

Deleted Member 1156

No we don't pair up. I've seen single visitors on the course. Just wondered where as someone stated, the resort type courses will often try to pack as many as possible onto the tee sheet to maximise revenue. But midweek in Scotland in October I wouldn't really expect it.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pretty simple for me. You can't book anything less than a 4 ball and then be surprised that they are adding numbers to your 1/2/3 ball. If you don't like it, don't book it. I hope those of you who describe themselves as anti-social would not ruin a round of those that the course chooses to put with you.