Being Paired up at a Visiting course

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think lace of play will be a major factor. Not the money. A few course I’ve been too state they pair up. On a few occasions it’s happened and never had a bad time.

The restaurant analogy imo doesn’t really work. A restaurant has a capacity limit and will move tables etc when taking original bookings until full. Then everyone going pays accordingly. For that to work on the course or at least be compariable, you’d need to accept maybe that ideal bookings are 6 four balls every hour, or in theory four 2 balls, two 3 balls, a 4 ball and a 6 ball.

D

Deleted member 25172

I don’t have the slightest of issue being paired up with strangers. That’s one of the things I love about golf, meeting complete strangers who shares the same passion. Comes to show how different people are.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We don't at ours, but we're not a top 100 course.

We had a two ball paired with one of our groups when we first played Celtic Manor a few years back. We had a single player added to one of our 3 balls when we stayed at Amendoeira. It's obvious at St Andrews that players queuing overnight get slotted in to spare slots during the day. I think it is fairly common practice and doesn't really bother me that much.

mister v

Visit site
I've had good experiences and bad being paired up at courses. Celtic manor we got paired up with a couple of lads that were sharing clubs and had 3 golf balls between them, i asked the one how's your game and he replied he was hoping to go round in under 200 and we all laughed.........it turned out he wasn't joking and we left them looking for there golf ball after 3 holes.
Next week were off to play in tenerife and i have no doubts that we'll end up against another pair.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Even among resort courses it varies from one to another here

Some will pair you up (they're looking to accommodate near 220 players each and every day in peak season) Others will let you out in pairs for the first half hour at opening then fourballs and others will let you book a pair through the day (but it wont be a quick dash round)

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite used to this from playing abroad with the better half.

99% of the time the people you are paired up with are great company, and can add to the experience

As most of the courses that pair you up are pretty busy I'd rather be in a 4 ball than sat as a 2 amongst them

D

Deleted member 21258

I don’t have the slightest of issue being paired up with strangers. That’s one of the things I love about golf, meeting complete strangers who shares the same passion. Comes to show how different people are.

Yeah certainly does, life would be boring if we were all the same.

Hats off to you for your outlook and anyone that has that outlook (y)

I thought long and hard about 'my' golf about 9 months ago and the two things that generally ruin a game of golf for me is slower play to what I was expecting or being pairing up with people I do not know at all before playing. Just find I cant relax or I end up getting angry and not being the most social person in the world, the golf is then well and truly toast which is why I am there, at love the golf! Decided I would learn from my experiences and not make the same mistakes over and over. Even ended up paying for my mum to come and play at TOC to fill the fourth place and done similar whilst playing at Loch Lomond, Royal Lytham, Wisley, Hoylake were I purchased a 3 or 4 balls and ended up paying for the other people, mad that its sounds. :)

That's the reasons why I tend to play late or in quiet times. I'm not embarrassed by it and quite open about it, sometimes in life it is just to short to be fighting with myself and wasting anything from £320 to £2000 for a round of golf for the group. I would rather just go and play on a quiet rubbish course for £50(for the group), not get paired up and enjoy the game of golf/relax :ROFLMAO:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Without diverting the thread off course, have you been the one that has had visitors paired with you and do you reckon you added to their experience?

As the local I've had strangers paired with me and I hope I made their day a bit better and as Richart says above its nice to be able to assist with lines/layouts etc and I dont recall any nightmare situations

D

Deleted member 25172

I thought long and hard about 'my' golf about 9 months ago and the two things that generally ruin a game of golf for me is slower play to what I was expecting or being pairing up with people I do not know at all before playing. Just find I cant relax or I end up getting angry and not being the most social person in the world, the golf is then well and truly toast which is why I am there, at love the golf! Decided I would learn from my experiences and not make the same mistakes over and over. Even ended up paying for my mum to come and play at TOC to fill the fourth place and done similar whilst playing at Loch Lomond, Royal Lytham, Wisley, Hoylake were I purchased a 3 or 4 balls and ended up paying for the other people, mad that its sounds. :)

That's the reasons why I tend to play late or in quiet times. I'm not embarrassed by it and quite open about it, sometimes in life it is just to short to be fighting with myself and wasting anything from £320 to £2000 for a round of golf for the group. I would rather just go and play on a quiet rubbish course for £50(for the group), not get paired up and enjoy the game of golf/relax :ROFLMAO:

Obviously, there has been occasions where the one's I've been paired up with hasn't really added any fun, and I'm sure others who've been paired up with me would say the same about me, but overall I think it's good fun! When playing with mates, I tend to get some tantrums after missed shots, but playing with strangers, I brace myself (well, somewhat anyway) and I can usually be fairly calm. One thing that helps out in my case is the fact that I'm Swedish, which tends to ease up the small talk for some reason. Especially when I get my Swedish tobacco "snus" up which usually can open up a discussion for at least 15 minutes. :D

That does indeed sound mad! But perhaps that's just a question of how big one's wallet is. :D

D

Deleted member 15344

That does all seem very strange , Golf is one of the sports that thrives on the social interaction between people when playing - do you play Opens when you are paired with strangers ? Or even H4H when you might get someone you don’t know ?

I can understand nerves and being a bit anxious but getting angry and ruining your golf playing with someone you don’t know ? Do you not play drawn comps etc ? Remember a stranger is just someone you haven’t met yet. It’s a shame you don’t enjoy one of the best parts of the sport

D

Deleted member 21258

That does all seem very strange , Golf is one of the sports that thrives on the social interaction between people when playing - do you play Opens when you are paired with strangers ? Or even H4H when you might get someone you don’t know ?

I can understand nerves and being a bit anxious but getting angry and ruining your golf playing with someone you don’t know ? Do you not play drawn comps etc ? Remember a stranger is just someone you haven’t met yet. It’s a shame you don’t enjoy one of the best parts of the sport

I like playing golf for sure and do agree that for a lot of people the social interaction is an important part of the word 'golf'. For me it is the playing and relaxing and normally spending time with the family. Anger is something that is part of your makeup or not, sadly cant change that as much I have tried and now just live with what I am. Wife doesn't understand either and I have got better at hiding it over time :devilish::D;):oops::eek::eek:

No never entered a drawn comp for the same reasons. Only time I walked off a course was when things were going on and a one ball got paired up with me/friend and just well lets say I had enough by the 4th but still embarrassed by that.
Have entered opens almost all are 4 ball teams, doing a pairs one next year at Woodhall to see how it goes but the price is much cheaper, so if its a bad day, then at least I haven't written off a lot of money and heard the course is pants(joke) :p.
Generally other times I have been on say GM organised days I have bought someone along with me :oops: I quickly add, had some great games with people on here but kind of knew the people from the online postings.;)

H4H and all the above examples(apart from TOC) when I have paid for other people, were all fundraising for charitable causes and I believe in supporting charity and the people who put a lot of effort into them.

Back to topic, LP does your course pair up visitors to your course, you forgot to say ?:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played at lots of places where they've said you may be joined up with another golfer - usually when using the discount times on TeeOffTimes - but it's never actually happened yet. I figured they just put that in the small print in case worst came to absolute worst and they were jam packed for bookings and had to group people up.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had booked a course up as a two ball on a top 100 course and just found out that we may be paired up and have been taken a little aback with it, as wouldn't wish to certainly not when paying the kind of money they ask for.

Surprised as never come across as being paired up on a visiting course(seen it at the weekend at home courses as a member, which I am fine with as it is peak time). And I do appreciate that a 2 ball gets in less money than a 4 ball .;)

So thought I would ask does your course pair up visiting golfers if they book up a tee time at your club ?

Why not become a member, that way you could play as a pair next time? (y)

D

Deleted member 21258

Why not become a member, that way you could play as a pair next time? (y)

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure why I would want to become a member there or why that would be a great idea.:unsure: We are playing as a pair this time, as mentioned in another post have change to a 2 ball time. thanks(y)

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't think we do it, but as I've never paid a green fee at my place I cannot be sure. They will sometimes pair singleton visitors with members if both parties agree and I've done that a few times - once even with 'Bones' while he was still Phil's caddy and Rickie's caddy Joe Skovron - that was fun.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Timely... Xmas card arrived this morning from the Canadian couple we were paired with at Moon Palace in Mexico... nice folk... played several other games with them during the fortnight... they are London next summer, I am sorting them out a few games while there are over.... looking forward to a catch up.... being paired is mostly a good thing!