Being Paired up at a Visiting course

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

I have to say, anyone that doesn't want to be paired up with someone else is really limiting themselves to some good opportunities such as quality individual/pairs opens etc which are often a fraction of the price of a normal green fee.

Agreed.

I would imagine, for people that do not wish to join up with strangers that is not a major concern. As no point in getting something cheaper if potentially you may not enjoy it. I would rather go play another course that is quiet or cheaper and it doesn't happen on.

A lot of clubs now offer mixed/pairs/4 ball opens, as an example me/wife have entered one pairs open next year but with friends, online booking makes this easier, as you can book both times at once. Happy days:)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Agreed.

I would imagine, for people that do not wish to join up with strangers that is not a major concern. As no point in getting something cheaper if potentially you may not enjoy it. I would rather go play another course that is quiet or cheaper and it doesn't happen on.

A lot of clubs now offer mixed/pairs/4 ball opens, as an example me/wife have entered one pairs open next year but with friends, online booking makes this easier, as you can book both times at once. Happy days:)
Yep, I guess there is always the option to pay extra and book out the entire tee time if you are fortunate to be wealthy enough to do that (y)

As a matter of interest, how many times in your golfing life have you been paired up with someone that has ruined your round?

D

Deleted member 21258

Yep, I guess there is always the option to pay extra and book out the entire tee time if you are fortunate to be wealthy enough to do that (y)

As a matter of interest, how many times in your golfing life have you been paired up with someone that has ruined your round?

Oh sorry I meant that both tee times can be booked at once, so you know who you are playing with. I have not paid for the other couple, so the cost was under £100 for a pair at a top 100 course. If I could not do that, then as I say I would rather play a cheap course and be happy than a good course and not be. That's my choice and how I wish to spend my time.

In respect of the last comment, I would say is that I have toasted many a golf round by not wanting to be there, and now I am not working my arse off, decided I will not keep making the same mistakes. Most people I have played golf with, I have known before to some extent or not.

Had some great rounds with people I have not known before, ones that sticks in the mind from the forum was the two day in Kent, one playing with ChrisD/Radbourne/wife at Princes, and then RCP with Mikechapman/jobr1850/Dando was a couple of cracking days, even though the weather was pants. There a more than a number of times, when I have played with people I don't really know and had a great time, Little Aston would be one such example with someone from the forum. As always life is not black and white but I do know a mixture of playing with people who I don't know and a round taking a long time is not a cocktail I enjoy:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It maybe not be what you are like but there are plenty of people who think both ways. Blimely didn't really expect the thread to unfold along these lines o_O

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yep, each to their own. Me, I'm more than happy to risk being paired up with strangers. Got an invite to Shinnecock Hills from a total stranger I was paired up with on holiday in the Bahamas! Played with one weirdo in Myrtle Beach, didn't spoil the round in any way but actually found his antics quite amusing.

Been paired up with LiverpoolPhil a few times, don't tell anyone on here but I actually enjoyed his company :eek:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We got paired up at Carnoustie last time I played it (couple of years ago) - to be honest I was expecting it and the people we paired with were nice folks - it's normal

That's where I was paired up, played with two Japanese who couldn't speak a word of English apart from saying "yes".

Was a pain in the backside.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only once have I been paired up with people who melted my head the whole round.

It was in villamoura. 3 Irish boys so I thought I would he alright. 2 of them worked for this other guy and they spent the whole round licking his behind and laughing at all his unfunny jokes. Thankfully the rain started on the last 5 holes and they decided to walk in. Played the last few holes in peace.

I appreciate people like to stay with their friends when they go to an away day. They don't want to run the risk of being paired with a weirdo or psychopath. For the most part it's nice to meet other folks and hear their stories as it can be a nice change once in a while if you predominantly play with the same fellas week in week out.

For example this year I played county Sligo as a single. Joined two old members on the first. Played 12 or so with them and they headed in. Played the next 3 on my own and then joined up with a Scottish golf club manager, an american overseas member for the remaining holes. Finally we were joined by a single from Liverpool for the last hole. A thoroughly enjoyable experience and heard some great yarns.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only happened to me in the US. It’s done quite cleverly. The starter says ”these two gentlemen would love to play with you. Do you think I could introduce you?” Makes it hard to say no. I have had some good experiences and only one not so good where the people they paired us with were so slow we didn’t get to play the last two holes.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think the references and comparisons to playing in Opens is at odds with the opening post.
Playing in Opens is a different situation to the OP which is about booking a tee time as a visitor and is most likely to be a casual, social round.
When you enter an Open, you know what to expect - a drawn competition with, hopefully, like minded competitive golfers. Having said that, and from experience, it doesn’t mean you won’t come across someone who gets on your nerves, has irritating habits, bad etiquette or is generally a pain.
And I suspect you won’t have paid an outrageous sum to play in said Open competition, unlike the green fees at some of the Top 100 courses - if they accept visitors, that is.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When a friend and I played the Millennium Course at Vilamoura this year, we were paired up with a singleton. He was a French guy of our sort of age and we got on so well that we invited him to join us when we played there again a couple of days later, which he did. My friend plays there regularly as he has a holiday home alongside the course, so he had already told me that we were likely to get paired up, but it worked out really well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we are a top 100 course but i don't think we ever pair anyone up unless they ask or want to play at a specific time etc.

Personally it doesn't bother me , you meet some interesting people.

I think the only time i have been, was at the TOC the 2nd time i played, was put with 2 American St Andrews Uni Students.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting topic this and something I have always tried to avoid when booking a golf course . I have just booked Celtic manor for me and the wife and was told we will be paired up unless it’s quiet.

Nothing I can do about it and have to suck it up I guess. The reason I rather stay as a two ball is mostly down to my own nerves and worry I will play bad and embarrass myself ( silly I know but that’s how I am)

However when we have been paired up we have really enjoyed it , 3 times in America with coupes from 3 different countries and also a couple of mixed opens in the UK.

We have been lucky though playing a few of the top 50 courses we have been kept as a two ball which in my opinion has made the experience of them courses a lot more enjoyable