Bandits/Cheats/Good Days and Bad

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trouble is LT, Lincolnshire is the second largest county in the country. ☹️If say he is Newark golf club, he is knocking on the door of Notts ☹️
Fair point Tash. I forget that Northumberland is quite a small county in terms of numbers. If a golfer cheats and gets found out their name is known in no time across the clubs. Certainly the secretaries all talk amongst each other, the jungle drums work well here.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Fair point Tash. I forget that Northumberland is quite a small county in terms of numbers. If a golfer cheats and gets found out their name is known in no time across the clubs. Certainly the secretaries all talk amongst each other, the jungle drums work well here.
Some club will take him regardless.

We had a well publicised cheat Thrown out of the club, he even took the club to High court.... and lost. he is a member of two clubs locally, one of which is a famous course where the Sec was even a member of ours at the time he was chucked out, yet still let him join.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some club will take him regardless.

We had a well publicised cheat Thrown out of the club, he even took the club to High court.... and lost. he is a member of two clubs locally, one of which is a famous course where the Sec was even a member of ours at the time he was chucked out, yet still let him join.
Wow. Amazing that a club would accept that person. They bring with them so much bad publicity, potential for unrest etc.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wow. Amazing that a club would accept that person. They bring with them so much bad publicity, potential for unrest etc.
it was a well publicises case in the Scottish Press as he took the club to the high court for chucking him out, there was even a bit in GM back when it was all kicking off.

the well known club, do have two courses (clue) so he is only a member there, though he has, or at least was making a nuisance of himself asking why he hadn't been accepted onto the "championship course" though i've no idea why they even let him join in the first place.

D

Deleted member 16999

Is every member of your Club (or any Club) vetted and background checked? I’d imagine there are Golf Clubs up and down the Country with members with dubious backgrounds, probably far worse and more threatening to members and those Clubs than someone who was caught cheating on a Golf Course.

I fully understand and accept Golf is built on honesty or integrity, however, the over-reaction on what should be done to this bloke at Wolf’s place is eye opening!

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
Given that he eventually admitted he'd left his previous club under a cloud, then he sounds like some kind of serial offender.
Isn't it therefore appropriate for Wolf's club to get in touch with all the other clubs in the area and warn them about him?

I think unless you know, what kind of cloud overshadowed him leaving his previous club, you need to give him the benefit of the doubt. Seeing his HCP at his old club was correct he probably didn't commit the same kind of cheating he pulled off in the new club.
Then again you'd have to think it was probably still his fault, since he didn't want to talk about it (if he had been wronged by the old club he certainly wouldn't have hesitated to talk about it).
Last but not least we have to consider the possibility that the whole "leaving under a cloud" thing was a made up excuse to explain why he didn't mention his previous membership...

No matter what the actual reasons were, I would be really careful about getting in touch with other clubs to warn them. A lost defamation suit could cost way more than the few quid he got from the swindle.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is every member of your Club (or any Club) vetted and background checked? I’d imagine there are Golf Clubs up and down the Country with members with dubious backgrounds, probably far worse and more threatening to members and those Clubs than someone who was caught cheating on a Golf Course.

I fully understand and accept Golf is built on honesty or integrity, however, the over-reaction on what should be done to this bloke at Wolf’s place is eye opening!
Fully vetted, I very much doubt. Even partially vetted I doubt. I can only go off my couple of years on a committee around 10yrs ago or so. When we had new applicants the names were put before the committee and we were asked if we 'knew anything about them, anything iffy'? There were enough people on there with their ear to the ground at various clubs, the secretary spoke to other secretaries regularly, so that anyone with a question mark over their name would be blocked. It was word of mouth stuff, old school I suppose. You would not put it in writing for legal reasons. Now, if someone moved from the Durham area to Northumberland they would get through but within a 30 mile radius of our club they would be known by all of the clubs in the area. I don't know if it is the same now or whether most clubs would just take the money.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll drop you a PM mate rather than put that on open forum only because never know whose reading and I've purposely not mentioned names as to keep this private for the club to deal with.
Any chance that you can PM me a bit more detail. Being a member at a Lincolnshire club it would be worth keeping an eye out.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m playing a bit of a “bandit” in the clubs pairs KO on Sat. He is an ex 6 HC who stopped playing a few years ago. Started again 2 years ago, put in new cards to get a 16 HC, has only entered 4 qualifying comps in that time. Won a couple non qualifiers with 42/43 points. He is now at 14 and I see him practising a lot, is only a 5 day member, but doesn’t enter any mid week comps. Part of the club B Team which are non qualifying etc.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m playing a bit of a “bandit” in the clubs pairs KO on Sat. He is an ex 6 HC who stopped playing a few years ago. Started again 2 years ago, put in new cards to get a 16 HC, has only entered 4 qualifying comps in that time. Won a couple non qualifiers with 42/43 points. He is now at 14 and I see him practising a lot, is only a 5 day member, but doesn’t enter any mid week comps. Part of the club B Team which are non qualifying etc.
Good luck is all I can say here, matey. ;);)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how easy it is to do without being underhand. But then I'm not overly up on how the workings behind the Central Database is sorted out.

Surely there are criteria that have to be input to create the unique record. But as members we just provide what's asked to those in power and voila out comes a handicap and CDH number. But the interesting part of that is I guess its down to the honesty of the person providing the information.
Yes, completely their responsibility & down to them to divulge their playing history...…. certainly NOT, "Did the Club ask the right questions or make sufficient searches!!" We have something similar going at the moment but without the swindle issues. In my experience Clubs will find reasons to "To let things go" rather than cause a fuss..... rather letting down their established membership.

Wolf

Visit site
Yes, completely their responsibility & down to them to divulge their playing history...…. certainly NOT, "Did the Club ask the right questions or make sufficient searches!!" We have something similar going at the moment but without the swindle issues. In my experience Clubs will find reasons to "To let things go" rather than cause a fuss..... rather letting down their established membership.
I don't know I'm not part of the membership committee or the person that dealsnwith new member sign ups. From my own experience though it was quite informal, asked me if I had a playing history and was I joining alone.

Advised them if my history from 9/10 years ago when I stopped playing so was allocated accordingly after 3 cards and a little of my history taken into account.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Three questions should cover it.
Where and when was your last club?
What was your last playing handicap.?
Do you have a CDH number.?
If he lies he has something to hide, and no defence.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may be appropriate to highlight the fundamentally integrity based nature of golf.....the opportunities to cheat are huge, and cannot realistically be policed. So if someone isn't going to answer a simple question correctly because they believe it may affect their handicap allocation and on going ability to win (whatever) they are simply playing the wrong game - the end.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Could just be an improving player.

On a slightly related note I find qualifiers hard to enter in great volume as I play quite sociable elsewhere. Luckily my performance is relatively consistent but does improve when I actually get to play regularly so could impact handicap. For my last 10 rounds one may be at my club - overseas golf break 4 rounds, course closed so 1 round elsewhere, charity golf day, friend invited me to use a voucher, round at my dads course and a 3 day pairs golf event I entered 9 months ago.

This is way more golf than I normally play and can’t get out more given family and work commitments, but does mean I’ll go 2-3 months with only 1 round at my home course. That’s particularly exceptional but probabky highlights not all can play 10-20 qualifiers in a year.

I want my handicap to get into single figures but I wouldn’t put qualifiers above the range of friends, family and courses I get to play as that’s one of the things I enjoy about golf.

Not related to the op but to some on expectations of qualifiers and what constitutes a bandit.