Bandits/Cheats/Good Days and Bad

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same age , same address , maybe providing your actual national insurance number might be the answer instead of a useless CDH number :devilish::D
You are confusing things by jumping from implications that the existing structure can be suitably searched to suggestions on how it could be modified to do so.

Golf is a game that fundamentally depends on the players integrity - handicapping follows.

If it's absent then they are playing the wrong game. It's not about it policing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nothing in this thread says that committees don't ask the relevant questions....or are we looking at different threads?

You can't look further into something unless you know where to look, which requires that information from the new member as they are required to provide - CDH isn't set up for wide random searches; you need a club.
Its my opinion from the comments on here that some clubs are only interested in getting the members to sign up and get the cash and so don't ask too many questions. If the CDH isn't available to check across the board the club is always going to struggle to verify the information. As an aside (and I don't know, hence the question) can you search for a CDH based on name or current club?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its my opinion from the comments on here that some clubs are only interested in getting the members to sign up and get the cash and so don't ask too many questions. If the CDH isn't available to check across the board the club is always going to struggle to verify the information. As an aside (and I don't know, hence the question) can you search for a CDH based on name or current club?

Registered club officials (Secretary/Manager, Handicap Secretary etc) can search using at least 2 of club/name/handicap.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Registered club officials (Secretary/Manager, Handicap Secretary etc) can search using at least 2 of club/name/handicap.
Thanks for clarifying that. If someone has a CDH, then leaves a club and doesn't rejoin another for say five years, does the system still hold the info so you could look at name and club (and would it bring the last registered club?). If so then surely clubs have an obligation to everyone playing competitions to ensure new members back history is checked and taken into account when three cards are put in

Siolag

Visit site
How does a handicap committee catch up with improving players? Im currently on 32, but my Fiancé and I are about to embark on a long series of lessons and put some serious time into improving. Say we spend the winter doing so, and really are much better players coming into spring, will 2-3 much improved scores in medals result in a big cut? Having said that, I have a fair degree of fame (or infamy) as a result of my first medal being a 162, so I am sure I wouldn't be accused of banditry.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How does a handicap committee catch up with improving players? Im currently on 32, but my Fiancé and I are about to embark on a long series of lessons and put some serious time into improving. Say we spend the winter doing so, and really are much better players coming into spring, will 2-3 much improved scores in medals result in a big cut? Having said that, I have a fair degree of fame (or infamy) as a result of my first medal being a 162, so I am sure I wouldn't be accused of banditry.
In my opinion, if you have put your cards in and are regularly playing in competitions your handicap will be representative of where your ability is. However if you are taking lessons and working hard on your game then you would hope to see some improvement to your handicap. I would simply play the competitions, put the scores in and let the system take care of the cuts and improvements. If you hit a real purple patch then the handicap secretary can invoke an ESR which is an additional cut based on play

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying that. If someone has a CDH, then leaves a club and doesn't rejoin another for say five years, does the system still hold the info so you could look at name and club (and would it bring the last registered club?). If so then surely clubs have an obligation to everyone playing competitions to ensure new members back history is checked and taken into account when three cards are put in
You have just been advised that if you don't have the previous club you can't check a back history...which is why clubs ask the questions they ask, but are effectively powerless if the player fails to respond. Every clubs membership application that I've seen asks the questions.
Nothing to do with money grabbing (by the clubs).

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
In my opinion, if you have put your cards in and are regularly playing in competitions your handicap will be representative of where your ability is. However if you are taking lessons and working hard on your game then you would hope to see some improvement to your handicap. I would simply play the competitions, put the scores in and let the system take care of the cuts and improvements. If you hit a real purple patch then the handicap secretary can invoke an ESR which is an additional cut based on play

The ESR would be mandatory as far as I'm aware and triggered automatically following two scores of at least four under handicap within a twelve month period.

I'm in a similar boat, I was playing off 36 and still not winning but had a few lessons and recently won twice (including 25 points in a nine hole comp) and my handicap is coming down fast, unfortunately my game is still a bit hit and miss and I went back up by 0.1 last week (to 30.7).

My advice would be to keep playing comps and then your handicap will be as accurate as it can be and people will see your ability changing lessening the chance of any 'bandit' accusations (in the bar after my 25 points was a guy I had played with a month or two before where I'd shot 14 points in the same 9 hole rollup who was delighted to see I was improving, bowling up and shooting 25 points for nine holes when you don't know anyone is a recipe for nasty comments!).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The ESR would be mandatory as far as I'm aware and triggered automatically following two scores of at least four under handicap within a twelve month period.

I'm in a similar boat, I was playing off 36 and still not winning but had a few lessons and recently won twice (including 25 points in a nine hole comp) and my handicap is coming down fast, unfortunately my game is still a bit hit and miss and I went back up by 0.1 last week (to 30.7).

My advice would be to keep playing comps and then your handicap will be as accurate as it can be and people will see your ability changing lessening the chance of any 'bandit' accusations (in the bar after my 25 points was a guy I had played with a month or two before where I'd shot 14 points in the same 9 hole rollup who was delighted to see I was improving, bowling up and shooting 25 points for nine holes when you don't know anyone is a recipe for nasty comments!).
Op is in Scotland no ESR here.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

You cannot "invoke" ESR. The recorded scores either trigger then complete the process or they don't.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

on the basis that the players club is in the area of their forum 'address' there wont be any ESR applied. The SGU has mandated that the ESR process must not be applied.

this doesn't rule out an adjustment - only the application of that process.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
The whole "I used to play off 6 3 years ago, but haven't played for a bit" is a nonsense. In my eyes, if you were off 6, then you restart at 6. Irrespective of any reason, your handicap will adjust as you play in comps, that's the whole point of getting back .1 when you are outside your buffer. I have played with a guy who was around 4 handicap, he now plays probably once every other year. He still has the ability to absolutely stripe it, and it's a joy to watch and play with him. I don't believe you lose the ability unless you have a physical disability that affects your swing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The whole "I used to play off 6 3 years ago, but haven't played for a bit" is a nonsense. In my eyes, if you were off 6, then you restart at 6. Irrespective of any reason, your handicap will adjust as you play in comps, that's the whole point of getting back .1 when you are outside your buffer. I have played with a guy who was around 4 handicap, he now plays probably once every other year. He still has the ability to absolutely stripe it, and it's a joy to watch and play with him. I don't believe you lose the ability unless you have a physical disability that affects your swing.
I'm not sure about that. I think if you were off 4 or 5 then didn't play for a year, you'd really struggle to play to that. Going up 0.1 at a time can't all that fun when you should really be 3 shots higher.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Completely agree.

It does require the player to be honest about his previous handicap.

It wouldn't take a player long to get his eye in again. When he does, he would hammer the field if given a handful of extra shots.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you played off 6 and didnt play for a year then you dont really deserve to rock up and take a win without any effort put in with extra shots.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
If you played off 6 and didnt play for a year then you dont really deserve to rock up and take a win without any effort put in with extra shots.
That's exactly what I think. I play cricket, if I haven' played for a while when I come in to bat I don't get a few pies thrown down to get my eye in, the bowler steams in and lets rip at full speed, the fact that I haven't played for a while is a matter for me..........