Bandits/Cheats/Good Days and Bad

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not diplomatic corps more like Ex Royal Marine. But that being said I'm just not arrogant enough to think it's OK to act like a big man and accuse people of cheating without proof. Especially when that accusation could have knock on effects for the rest of the society causing unnecessary issues.

Get the proof first, then be as direct as you want. Going into battle without true facts and armed only with arrogance is a sure way to lose.

Who knew Sun Tzu played golf! :sneaky:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Few years ago I lost on countback in a society to a young lad playing off 28 who had 2 five pointers in his round,never saw him again, personally I wouldn't like to play any higher than my club handicap in a society, I understand not everyone is a member of a club but when you lose as I have ,to a player 4 shots more than his official h/c it doesn't seem right.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Luckily we don;t have society's as such up here, have played in some charity/work days which have been won by out and out cheats.

One guy won one of them with 40 something points, which was a works do i was a guest at, said he wasn't a member of a club any longer and hadn't played for a couple of years so they let him play off 28. won a load of prizes. turned out he was a member of the club in the village and was off 18, disturbing thing was he worked with all these guys and was still happy to cheat them out of the prizes.

The Other was a charity game at Fortrose, again a guy said he didn't have a handicap or played in years, so they let him play off 28, shot something in the low 70 Gross, cleaned up. turned out he was off 10 the year before.... get invited to this one every year never been back since

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
One for you all - the guy that runs a work golf society I'm in plays off of 9, but in reality he's probably a 12-14 handicap. He always comes in with 30+ points but he never puts himself in the groups with people that are either going to keep an eye on his scoring or are capable to, he's always out with the guys that are either new to the game, the society or are high handicaps.

My dad came along once and was in the group with said guy - who once again came in with over 30 points (I think it was 37 that day) but we all saw blob the first. My dad said that this guy had blobbed at least 2 other holes and was all over the place.

This is our 3rd year of running the comp and the 4 best scores from 8 or so comps are what are used to determine the standings, and this guy has won 2 years in a row and is already top of this years standings - we all kind of make a joke about it now but it's really starting to grate me now - how would you handle the situation?
Am I missing something here? The post suggests he "plays off of 9, but in reality he's probably a 12-14 handicap". So hes playing off less than he'd be entitled to. And is then accused of cheating? The other way round (ie plays off 12-14 but is really a 9) then I'd see the point?

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Am I missing something here? The post suggests he "plays off of 9, but in reality he's probably a 12-14 handicap". So hes playing off less than he'd be entitled to. And is then accused of cheating? The other way round (ie plays off 12-14 but is really a 9) then I'd see the point?

Yup, you've got it spot on - and it would be slightly easier to take the other way around but it's a bravado/ego thing, that 9 makes him the lowest handicap in the group and then he just embellishes his scores. I guess if it was the other way around, it would be easier to call him out on it and that maybe is another reason why he claims he's a 9.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think he meant that he's not even good enough to play off 9, yet he 'miraculously' still scores 37 points off it. So he must be using some creative accounting so to speak.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Our place has 0-12 for cat 1 prizes and an open field for stablefords. makes it hard work to pick up and with css -2 on the card also get cut for a good solid round. same old faces winnng most weeks do everything well yetplay off 14!

Dannyc

Visit site
I played a lad in the week off 13 I had to give 7 shots 9/10s of the difference
He beat me on the 14th at that point he was 1 over gross with some lovely golf shots and a great swing
I asked him in the bar why are u playing off that handicap he said I was off 6 and stopped playing while I went university for 3 years I’ve just come back playing again
Surely old handicaps have to be looked at when they are putting fresh cards in

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played a lad in the week off 13 I had to give 7 shots 9/10s of the difference
He beat me on the 14th at that point he was 1 over gross with some lovely golf shots and a great swing
I asked him in the bar why are u playing off that handicap he said I was off 6 and stopped playing while I went university for 3 years I’ve just come back playing again
Yes they do - which was the whole starting point to this thread.

Exactly how is down to committee- your case is pretty common.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

They do but as this thread has highlighted many committees simply don;t seem to either ask the relevant questions, seem overly bothered or even try to look into the matter further. I don't know a simple answer and sadly its going to keep happening

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
They do but as this thread has highlighted many committees simply don;t seem to either ask the relevant questions, seem overly bothered or even try to look into the matter further. I don't know a simple answer and sadly its going to keep happening

Nothing in this thread says that committees don't ask the relevant questions....or are we looking at different threads?

You can't look further into something unless you know where to look, which requires that information from the new member as they are required to provide - CDH isn't set up for wide random searches; you need a club.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing in this thread says that committees don't ask the relevant questions....or are we looking at different threads?

You can't look further into something unless you know where to look, which requires that information from the new member as they are required to provide - CDH isn't set up for wide random searches; you need a club.
Surely !!!, the governing body ?? , should be able to recognise/ identify/ highlight any name that has been previously registered :confused: