Bandits/Cheats/Good Days and Bad

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Siolag

Visit site
I am indeed in Scotland. I will be playing in as many competitions as I can, as I really enjoy getting out and playing with different people.

I would agree that anyone playing off of 6 should not really get too many extra shots even after a break. A 6 handicap implies significant time spent playing the game and therefore only needing some sharpening up.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's exactly what I think. I play cricket, if I haven' played for a while when I come in to bat I don't get a few pies thrown down to get my eye in, the bowler steams in and lets rip at full speed, the fact that I haven't played for a while is a matter for me..........

Not really the right analogy as cricket isn't a game with handicaps to try to create a level playing field.
Surely a closer analogy would be that you used to be firsts/professional, and hadn't played for a couple of years, then you wouldn't expect to walk into that team but instead start in seconds or thirds i.e. taken into account it will take time to get your eye in.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the point I was trying to make, was that I don't expect any special treatment or "Assistance" because I haven't played for a while. I think the same should apply to golf, you left at 6, you restart at 6 irrespective and just get on with it. Your handicap will find it's own level in time. A good handicap committee should be able to address any shot requirements during the review if the handicap is not deemed sufficient to be competitive.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m playing a bit of a “bandit” in the clubs pairs KO on Sat. He is an ex 6 HC who stopped playing a few years ago. Started again 2 years ago, put in new cards to get a 16 HC, has only entered 4 qualifying comps in that time. Won a couple non qualifiers with 42/43 points. He is now at 14 and I see him practising a lot, is only a 5 day member, but doesn’t enter any mid week comps. Part of the club B Team which are non qualifying etc.

Well, I ended up playing out of my skin and we thrashed them... seems I’m the bandit! :oops:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am indeed in Scotland. I will be playing in as many competitions as I can, as I really enjoy getting out and playing with different people.

I would agree that anyone playing off of 6 should not really get too many extra shots even after a break. A 6 handicap implies significant time spent playing the game and therefore only needing some sharpening up.
Anyone playing off 6 would also have a very good reason to stop playing though.
Serious I’ll health being one , knee replacement,Cancer etc.
so 6 is just a figure they may never reach again.
The onus is very much on the player to inform the committee as much as possible so they can make a proper decision based on the facts.