Away day help/recommendations

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, next year for my birthday I fancy a night away for a couple of rounds of golf with some mates and am trying to decide where to go.

My initial thoughts were The Belfry. I'd love to play the PGA and the Braz. The breaks there are understandably more expensive than alot, but I think it would be a good trip - Anyone done this? pros/cons/reviews they can offer?

There are other obvious choices (Celtic Manor, Forest of Arden et al)...

But with alot of course knowledge on this board through away days, I thought I'd get feedback from those who have played different course and see what recommendations I can get.

Criteria (loose) is as follows:

-Not Forest Pines - not because I don't like it, but most of the group are from Lincolnshire, so a 45 minute drive up the road isn't really an "away day"
-With that...Somewhere outside Lincolnshire :D
-I'm not ruling out Scotland completely but it's unlikely. It would have to be an inticing deal to sell us the trip there. As I said, they're in Lincs, but I'm all the way down in the South West - I've driven from here to Scotland before. It's a really long way! But like I said, the right course at the right price could sell me.
-Anywhere else is definitely on the cards
-Doesn't matter whether it's Links or Inland, just as long as it's a good "quality" golf course (i.e. Challenging, well maintained, good facilities)
-It would be nice to play a couple of different courses, so clubs/resorts with more than one course are definitely a plus.
-Ideally less than £200pp for two rounds (at least) of golf and overnight accomm (either B&B or DB&B) - Not sure how realistic this is.

Any help/recommendations are greatly appreciated and complimentary pint (or three) of beer for the winning entry when I finally get myself down to a GM meet!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be honest, I'd passed them over assuming they would be out of reach price/availability-wise. But I'll take a look at the website, looks pretty informative.

Would love to play Lytham and Birkdale if we could.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You will not be able to play Lytham/ Birkdale within your budget I am afraid. There is also Southport and Ainsdale and Ormskirk near Southport which are great tracks.

Have a look at the enclosed web page which has The Belfry within your price range. The way the economy is clubs want your money!

http://www.yourgolftravel.com/

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know it's only down the road but you should consider Woodhall Spa too, have a look at Smiffy's deal that he got there......bargain!!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know it's only down the road but you should consider Woodhall Spa too, have a look at Smiffy's deal that he got there......bargain!!

Thanks for the recommendation but a.) I've been lucky enough to play it many times. b.)This is because I lived in Woodhall Spa until two years ago, and my parents still live there. I can see the 1st hole of the Bracken out of the window of the room that we always stay in at my parent's hotel when we go home :D

A lovely course though. I play it every opportunity I can when I go home. This is usually whenever the guys I know who are members there are home/available to play, as it only costs £25 to play if you're with a member. Bonus!

Thanks for the website above. I think the Belfry will be the one if we can get it.

Question about Handicaps though - Will they expect to see certificates from everyone before we can play? I currently don't have one (but should do by April) and I know a few of my mates no longer play as regularly as they like due to work and other stuff...So are we going to be turned away if we can produce valid certificates? (At the Belfry specifically, but I suppose this is an "open" question that can relate to any course we decide upon).

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
obvious question when is your birthday - could make a big difference to what you can get in your budget.

I saw a 3-day all you can golf in Portugal deal not long ago and at less than £200 - but I didn't get to the fine print

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's in April, but dates are fairly flexible (dependant on whether I play American Football next season as it's pretty much a weekend commitment from Feb to Sept - I can't do that AND play as much golf as I'd like though, so I'm thinking about taking a year away from Football).

I think I'm going to start looking now and if I see something at a good price, just get it booked.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Get yourself down to Saunton and play 36 there, I am sure they do a 2 round deal on the east and west...2 superb links courses for about £80 ish the last time I looked.

Not far for you to travel and only what 3hrs or so for the lads! ;)

You could double it up with a round at Burnham & Berrow on your way home and again a superb track for £65.

Where you stay I can't help but plenty choices,Tiverton,Taunton?? No idea if they are decent places?! But I reckon the costs would be circa £230 but your getting 3 wonderful courses.

It is a trip I intend to try and organise at some point but is a bastard to get to for us up here....fly to Bristol then hire car would be the best way for us I think!