Alterations to WHS?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought the entire point of moving to WHS was to be able to easily use handicaps all over the world?

Sure, each authority implements certain things differently, but we all have an Index. One Index. And so all you do is use that as a starting point, and whatever authority you are in, they can tell you what your Course or playing handicap is.
A lot of golfers thought that!
But when you can pick and choose what parts of WHS you use and bits you don’t I think it leads to confusion.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought the entire point of moving to WHS was to be able to easily use handicaps all over the world?

Sure, each authority implements certain things differently, but we all have an Index. One Index. And so all you do is use that as a starting point, and whatever authority you are in, they can tell you what your Course or playing handicap is.
It was only last summer that the English and Scottish systems started talking to each other...so what hope is there that English systems will talk to Australian ones...hell, we cant even decide the basis for calculating 4BBB matchplay allowances!!

Swango1980

Visit site
It was only last summer that the English and Scottish systems started talking to each other...so what hope is there that English systems will talk to Australian ones...hell, we cant even decide the basis for calculating 4BBB matchplay allowances!!
Yeah. I was talking more about theoretically. An Australian has an Index (think they call it GA Handicap) of 9.2, then they can just tell us over here and we can give them a course handicap. And that course handicap would be completely consistent to the ones we use. And vice versa if we were to go over there.

Sure, the actual technology doesn't talk to each other, so from a tech point of view we wouldn't have their scoring record. So it's back to doing things manually for handicap secs if players want their scores recorded in foreign lands.

Genu9

Visit site
It might just be me, but shouldn't this table have a 'Par Adjustment' Included?

Liam's CH is reduced by 2 and Luke by 3, but it isn't mentioned any where in the text.

Page 47 of document (Foursomes)
1705749071991.png

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Yeah. I was talking more about theoretically. An Australian has an Index (think they call it GA Handicap) of 9.2, then they can just tell us over here and we can give them a course handicap. And that course handicap would be completely consistent to the ones we use. And vice versa if we were to go over there.

Sure, the actual technology doesn't talk to each other, so from a tech point of view we wouldn't have their scoring record. So it's back to doing things manually for handicap secs if players want their scores recorded in foreign lands.
The South African app / website accepts foreign scores so it can be done with involving other people.

Genu9

Visit site
Full mock-up of tables. Had a local Printer do it on paper for me while we played around with readability vs size. Final version measures 447mm wide by 454mm high.

To cover ALL allowances 75% & 70% would need to be added but as they are so rarely used it doesn't seem justified.

There are obvioulsy going to be clubs with more than three tees which will require a larger board.
Done a bit more 'cosmetic' work on the tables to make them easier to read. If anyone would like a PDF version for their own use I can make you one up. Send me your course data via DM.

The cost, a donation to Prostrate Cancer UK.

1705844249715.png

Attachments

• Handicap Tables (Shared) - Google Sheets.pdf
    52.1 KB · Views: 18

D-S

Visit site
The South African app / website accepts foreign scores so it can be done with involving other people.
Does the App/website basically allow the player to act as a handicap committee member does now in the UK i.e. input the scores from a list of worldwide courses? Is there any oversight to this?

D-S

Visit site
Done a bit more 'cosmetic' work on the tables to make them easier to read. If anyone would like a PDF version for their own use I can make you one up. Send me your course data via DM.

View attachment 51537
Given that the 4BB is now 90% of the difference between 100% CH rounded to become a PH, is 90% still needed or will it just add to the confusion?

Oldbutwise

Visit site

View attachment 51537
Excellent work. I'll probably get in touch at some stage to discuss figures for my club. I see from the Guidance Document that all calculations are done to 3 decimal places - not sure what difference that makes but are yours to the same accuracy?
Thanks again for sharing this.

Genu9

Visit site
Given that the 4BB is now 90% of the difference between 100% CH rounded to become a PH, is 90% still needed or will it just add to the confusion?
We use 90% in our Swindle so I include it. Maybe others do too. I can just hide the column if not wanted.
Excellent work. I'll probably get in touch at some stage to discuss figures for my club. I see from the Guidance Document that all calculations are done to 3 decimal places - not sure what difference that makes but are yours to the same accuracy?
Thanks again for sharing this

Thanks again for sharing this.
I noticed that. The briefing note that came out from England Golf originally had two decimal places in their examples, now gone to three, Nevertheless mine actually isn't rounded at all it just displays two decimal places, so you could argue it is more accurate. 🤷‍♂️
Quick change to make. I just wonder if they will use three on whatever boards they decide to adopt?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m pretty good at WHS handicap stuff, but now pretty much lost and confused, and this thread has actually made me quite concerned that most golfers won’t have a clue what to do.

Couple of questions. From 1st April will my HI change to accommodate CR-par?

With my HI in hand I go to a course. A table or an App will tell me my CH for the course and tee set I’m playing from. This will NOT be an integer. However for all forms of play for starters I then simply round my CH to the nearest integer to get my PH for the course and tee set.

If I am playing a singles match, me and my opponent difference our PHs and take full (100%) of that to give the shots the player with the higher PH gets.

If I am playing a 4BBB match each player gets shots off the lowest PH according to 90% of PH differences.

If I am playing singles strokeplay the ‘shots I get against the course’ is 95% of my PH rounded to nearest integer.

And I haven‘t got a clue what Par Adjustment is all about.

Genu9

Visit site
I’m pretty good at WHS handicap stuff, but now pretty much lost and confused, and this thread has actually made me quite concerned that most golfers won’t have a clue what to do.

Couple of questions. From 1st April will my HI change to accommodate CR-par?

With my HI in hand I go to a course. A table or an App will tell me my CH for the course and tee set I’m playing from. This will NOT be an integer. However for all forms of play for starters I then simply round my CH to the nearest integer to get my PH for the course and tee set.

If I am playing a singles match, me and my opponent difference our PHs and take full (100%) of that to give the shots the player with the higher PH gets.

If I am playing a 4BBB match each player gets shots off the lowest PH according to 90% of PH differences.

If I am playing singles strokeplay I get 95% of my PH rounded to nearest integer.

And I haven‘t got a clue what Par Adjustment is all about.
No your HI will not change. The equation that calculates your CH will.

Your 100% CH will still be an Integer. However, in order to calcualte PH on anything less than 100%, your 'unrounded CH' will be used, but only as long as you have the capability to do it to 'machine precision'. (some form of calculator or table that has done it for you). Your PH will be a whole figure.

I think the confusion arises from the fact that the document goes into great detail to explain how to handle 'mixed' & 'multiple tee' situations which is where the 'Par Adjustment' comes in.

If you don't play in 'Mixed' events, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Swango1980

Visit site
No your HI will not change. The equation that calculates your CH will.

Your 100% CH will still be an Integer. However, in order to calcualte PH on anything less than 100%, your 'unrounded CH' will be used, but only as long as you have the capability to do it to 'machine precision'. (some form of calculator or table that has done it for you). Your PH will be a whole figure.

I think the confusion arises from the fact that the document goes into great detail to explain how to handle 'mixed' & 'multiple tee' situations which is where the 'Par Adjustment' comes in.

If you don't play in 'Mixed' events, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
So, let us say I've a 4BBB match in a club tournament. I've a quick check on handicap allowances a few days before. I do so by firstly checking what they'd be if I started with CH as a whole number. I then do the same assuming CH is a decimal. I find that, when CH is treated as a whole number I either get an extra shot / my opponents get a shot less, compared to treating CH as a decimal.

In the above scenario, it would be in my best interest to NOT bring a calculator when going to play the match, and hope the opponents do not do so either?

And, if the opposite is true, then it WOULD be in my interest to ensure I've a calculator. So, my opponents may have worked it all out when they arrived at the club, based on the CH whole numbers. Explained the shot situation, and then I can get my Casio out and show them that I actually get an extra shot / they get a shot less, based on the more detailed calculation.

Genu9

Visit site
So, let us say I've a 4BBB match in a club tournament. I've a quick check on handicap allowances a few days before. I do so by firstly checking what they'd be if I started with CH as a whole number. I then do the same assuming CH is a decimal. I find that, when CH is treated as a whole number I either get an extra shot / my opponents get a shot less, compared to treating CH as a decimal.

In the above scenario, it would be in my best interest to NOT bring a calculator when going to play the match, and hope the opponents do not do so either?

And, if the opposite is true, then it WOULD be in my interest to ensure I've a calculator. So, my opponents may have worked it all out when they arrived at the club, based on the CH whole numbers. Explained the shot situation, and then I can get my Casio out and show them that I actually get an extra shot / they get a shot less, based on the more detailed calculation.
Club Tournaments have to use mechanical precision.

D-S

Visit site

If the club has any sense it would run the match via their ISV and this would give the players the correct (machine precision ) amount of shots when they checked via their apps or the website. I would also advise the Club not to have the same boards as they have now giving rounded CH, as this is exactly how the confusion you predict can arise. They should have QR codes to a handicap calculator on the board, access to a handicap calculator on the touch screen and tables of allowances available in the Pro Shop or Club House.

Swango1980

Visit site
Club Tournaments have to use mechanical precision.
In 100% of cases (in my experience), when groups have arranged matches, every single person looks at the board near the 1st tee, and takes it from there. Working out the 90% bit in their head.

I'm not sure it is viable to have club golfers able to use Apps for machine precision in such cases. They could go to the pro shop and ask, but they'll often get there when the shop is closed, either because they are teeing off early or the pro is off giving a lesson.