4 club carry only rule for roll ups

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
As it says in Rule 1.3.
A player is expected to:
- Attempt to make the best score possible at each hole.

If he isn't using his sand wedge or driver when he normally would given a choice, how can he make his best possible score?

In general, for a 100 yard shot, depending on conditions, I can play a hard full SW, or a punch shot with any of 9 iron, PW or 52 (if it's in the bag). That's 4 clubs that I can use for the same shot and I can choose any of those clubs if they're in the bag, but I could be accused of not making my best score if I'm only carrying three of them.... how ridiculous.

Last edited:

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite right to stop playing, what a farcical decision.
With members like that and it being a bog, it might be worth looking elsewhere.
Don't know if this is a wind up post but "members like that"; all I can see from the information on the members is that they are older being seniors, some don't have full physical ability to carry, they are keen to keep playing and like to compete in a "fair manner" (their perception of it) in a roll up they may be putting money into. You could perhaps take that they prefer the social side with the group to serious competition as they aren't worried about handicap scores. They don't sound that bad to have "members like that" tag.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This sounds like a good idea for a seniors roll up to me. Our winter conditions are pretty poor (London Clay does that to a course), and unfortunately it's not really viable to just "get another course" as most local courses are in a similar predicament.

As for the ins-and-outs of playing with less clubs than normal - I've found that the idea of Golf being a 'game of perfect' is not helpful. The predisposition that everything needs to be "just so" in order to play good golf or have a good time is pretty limiting imho. There's always something that makes golf a bit more difficult than just hitting standard shots in perfect conditions, so playing with a limited number of club teaches good mental and physical skills which can be applied every time one goes out.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In general, for a 100 yard shot, depending on conditions, I can play a hard full SW, or a punch shot with any of 9 iron, PW or 52 (if it's in the bag). That's 4 clubs that I can use for the same shot and I can choose any of those clubs if they're in the bag, but I could be accused of not making my best score if I'm only carrying three of them.... how ridiculous.
You may be able to use a variety of clubs in a particular situation but if the terms of the competition restrict the number you can carry the comp itself cannot conform. I don't see any restriction on submitting a GP scores if you are able to play just as well with whatever clubs you have available. But if you can straight drive a 250 yard par 3 with a driver but can only hit a 3 wood 200 yards and choose not to carry the driver, I'm not so sure.

Incidentally, I'm in favour of limited club competitions. We have a number during the winter and occasionally in summer socials.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I enjoy limited clubs comps and in winter months especially I will take out a half set in a pencil bag. But I‘d not be that happy being asked to play a WHS qualifying round with a half set, never mind four clubs, as much as I can easy do it. More than happy to play a non-qualifying comp such as the OP’s roll up, but not if it’s a qualifying round.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Just playing devil’s advocate, there’s a difference between trying your best, and giving yourself the best chance to score well.

Imagine you win a competition where your prize is to play a round of golf and you win £10,000 for every shot you break 80 by.
Would you leave any clubs out?

For what it’s worth I agree it’s silly to cry “manipulation” if you submit a hc card with less than your normal set.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the idea of taking less clubs to force the player to hit differnt shots but it's kinda pointless in winter when nearly every shot must carry in the air.

The wet soggy ground takes much of using the ground out of play.

Taking a soft 8 instead of a 9 isnt my idea of much fun.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just playing devil’s advocate, there’s a difference between trying your best, and giving yourself the best chance to score well.

Imagine you win a competition where your prize is to play a round of golf and you win £10,000 for every shot you break 80 by.
Would you leave any clubs out?

For what it’s worth I agree it’s silly to cry “manipulation” if you submit a hc card with less than your normal set.

In comps I do usually take a full set (although not always) but the scenario here was specific about it being roll ups, and then took a left turn on handicap manipulation.

I still don’t really get the argument against in a roll up. It seems to me that they are just trying to keep a level field for all the oldies. It wouldn’t stop me playing in the roll up.

sunshine

Visit site
This is classic selfish golf club mentality. Couple of the seniors who organise the roll up decide they only want to carry 5 clubs, so impose a rule limiting clubs for everyone else because they don’t want anyone else to have an advantage. What about the seniors who are happy to carry a full set?

What happens next week? Maybe they can only hit it 200 yards so they will set a distance limit? Mandatory 3 putts on at least 2 holes?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
This is classic selfish golf club mentality. Couple of the seniors who organise the roll up decide they only want to carry 5 clubs, so impose a rule limiting clubs for everyone else because they don’t want anyone else to have an advantage. What about the seniors who are happy to carry a full set?

What happens next week? Maybe they can only hit it 200 yards so they will set a distance limit? Mandatory 3 putts on at least 2 holes?

Maybe I made some assumptions previously. Is the roll up organized by the club specifically, or just a group of seniors? Was there a vote amongst the group to apply this change? I made the assumption that it was discussed and agreed by the majority of the roll up. If it was just one or two imposing the rule without general agreement, then I agree it is wrong to enforce, but I would have expected there to be a majority agreement before accepting it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve got to be a careful when I use any club for a shot that requires me to manipulate my swing, other than very minimally, as manipulation of my swing according to the shot I wished to play was what I did for 35yrs and what eventually caused my game to fall apart. So when I play with only a few clubs I do not try and do anything with a club that requires me to try anything that varies very far from my standard strike with that club.

At the moment I know that my standard strike with a 7i will see a reasonably high fade-straight shot of about 145 yds. I cannot try to hit it 155yds either through hitting it ‘harder’ or hitting a draw. The latter especially is a big Noooo as that was my ‘old’ way. Likewise to cut distance down to 135yds will see me manipulating/controlling my swing in my ‘old’ way - and that way lies the same old problems.

Bit boring I know, but it is what I have to do at the moment as I learn how to strike a golf ball to achieve a ‘standard’ outcome with each club. It’s a long haul…already spent over a year working on the change. But no significant change in golf comes easy, and as soon I think it’s easy that’s when I have to consider that I’ve not completed work on the change ?

Doesn’t stop me enjoying limited club golf, just have to accept the limitations I am imposing on myself.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I’ve got to be a careful when I use any club for a shot that requires me to manipulate my swing, other than very minimally, as manipulation of my swing according to the shot I wished to play was what I did for 35yrs and what eventually caused my game to fall apart. So when I play with only a few clubs I do not try and do anything with a club that requires me to try anything that varies very far from my standard strike with that club.

At the moment I know that my standard strike with a 7i will see a reasonably high fade-straight shot of about 145 yds. I cannot try to hit it 155yds either through hitting it ‘harder’ or hitting a draw. The latter especially is a big Noooo as that was my ‘old’ way. Likewise to cut distance down to 135yds will see me manipulating/controlling my swing in my ‘old’ way - and that way lies the same old problems.

Bit boring I know, but it is what I have to do at the moment as I learn how to strike a golf ball to achieve a ‘standard’ outcome with each club. It’s a long haul…already spent over a year working on the change. But no significant change in golf comes easy, and as soon I think it’s easy that’s when I have to consider that I’ve not completed work on the change ?

Doesn’t stop me enjoying limited club golf, just have to accept the limitations I am imposing on myself.

Out of interest, what club do you get to before you can play a feel shot if the yardage is between clubs? Wedges? I struggle with anything more than a 9 iron.

From memory your handicap isn't high so you obviously manage pretty well!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't know if this is a wind up post but "members like that"; all I can see from the information on the members is that they are older being seniors, some don't have full physical ability to carry, they are keen to keep playing and like to compete in a "fair manner" (their perception of it) in a roll up they may be putting money into. You could perhaps take that they prefer the social side with the group to serious competition as they aren't worried about handicap scores. They don't sound that bad to have "members like that" tag.

nothing stopping those players from doing it, but why force it onto everyone else?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I find it impossible to do 'knock-down' shots as well, but for other reasons. As my swing is already short I guess, I can't really use 'clock method' or whatever other people call it. If I try and swing slower I just don't hit it properly. The only thing I can do is grip down an inch or two to take maybe 5 yards off a shot. As long as I don't thin it. :LOL: I can go half swings with my wedges and 9 iron but those are all shots for under 100 yards.

Out of interest, what club do you get to before you can play a feel shot if the yardage is between clubs? Wedges? I struggle with anything more than a 9 iron.

Yeah, 'feel' is an alien concept for me. Even from 50 yards I'm checking the yardage so I know that 50 yards = half swing 50° etc. I have to know the number to know the club or I feel clueless.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
4+1 seems a bit extreme, but I’d agree with 6+1 as that’s half a set.

Sounds like someone is only capable of carrying 5 clubs so has set the rule based on their own restrictions.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Gap/Utility, maybe standard wedge depending on what I need to do. With all the rest at the moment I’d rather accept being short and rely on my short game as that is generally good. And yes…HI 8.3 at the moment but looking to get down to 6ish next year.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about the seniors who are happy to carry a full set?
They simply don't enter that comp on that day. They could of course organise their own rollup.

Just about 40% of our seniors have opted to play 9 hole rollups during the winter. Providing at least 2 in a group want to play 18 they all mix and match and have 2 'prizes'

Last edited: