4 club carry only rule for roll ups

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My seniors section have decided to implement a maximum of 4 clubs (+ putter) rule when carry only is in effect, for the roll ups. My course is so boggy in winter, carry only happens very frequently and I had decided to carry anyway until spring. To my mind 4 clubs is at least 2 too few for me to work with and have decided to stop playing until the spring. I suspect I will be viewed by some my senior colleagues as having thrown my toys out of the pram but since I was only marginally enjoying the golf at the moment, this was a step too far for me.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My seniors section have decided to implement a maximum of 4 clubs (+ putter) rule when carry only is in effect, for the roll ups. My course is so boggy in winter, carry only happens very frequently and I had decided to carry anyway until spring. To my mind 4 clubs is at least 2 too few for me to work with and have decided to stop playing until the spring. I suspect I will be viewed by some my senior colleagues as having thrown my toys out of the pram but since I was only marginally enjoying the golf at the moment, this was a step too far for me.

Each to their own and if you're not enjoying it then stop till spring but does it have to be all or nothing. Why not just play occasionally?

Personally sounds quite nice to play a different style over winter when it's a bit wet. I'd go driver, hybrid, 7 iron, 54 and putter although could be tempted to lose the driver and 7 iron for a 6 and 9 iron given you may not be hitting greens in two as often anyway. Reckon it would improve your game more than just continuing with a full set over winter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For what reason have they enforced that? Would be fun to do once maybe but I'd think I'd get bored of it pretty quick. My winter carry set will likely be 8 or 9 clubs personally.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sounds great.

I’ll be going down to 6 or 7 clubs soon myself, so 5 isn’t much of an issue.

Always take driver. Then 5 iron, 8 iron and gap wedge. There is enough spread to cover most shots.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Last few weeks, I have put away my Powakaddy for the winter. We rope off the approaches to some greens and trolleys need a detour, so it is quicker to carry! (and it saves cleaning the trolley.)

The "odd numbered" irons and 5 wood have been removed from my bag to save weight. We still have qualifiers on Saturday mornings, so if I play, I don't enter the comp and plenty of others are doing likewise.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last few weeks, I have put away my Powakaddy for the winter. We rope off the approaches to some greens and trolleys need a detour, so it is quicker to carry! (and it saves cleaning the trolley.)

The "odd numbered" irons and 5 wood have been removed from my bag to save weight. We still have qualifiers on Saturday mornings, so if I play, I don't enter the comp and plenty of others are doing likewise.
Odd numbers!!!! What sort of witchcraft is this? Everyone knows you should remove the evens!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ultimately its up to you, but I couldn't go that long without playing.
4 and a putter isn't that bad, get round quicker I'd imagine and that's what you want in winter.
You might even find you score better. We have a competition that's just 3 clubs including the putter and you'd be surprised how well many score, ive seen guys that can't break 80 or 90 with a full set, shoot pb with only 3 clubs.

NearHull

Visit site
I assume the Roll Ups are non qualifying. I believe that you cannot enforce a local rule limiting the amount of clubs and also designate a competition as Qualifying for Handicap.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I’m not sure why anyone’s really questioning this. It’s the senior section, probably a fair few old boys that can’t carry a full set, having a 4 club limit in the roll up may make it easier for them to carry, and makes it fair for all if everyone does the same.

Certainly wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. Driver, 7, 9 & 56, just have fun playing, it’s a roll up so no qualifiers, you can still stick casual cards in if you want to. As others have said, you may surprise yourself how well you score, not to mention honing the short game.

NearHull

Visit site
I’m not sure why anyone’s really questioning this. It’s the senior section, probably a fair few old boys that can’t carry a full set, having a 4 club limit in the roll up may make it easier for them to carry, and makes it fair for all if everyone does the same.

Certainly wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. Driver, 7, 9 & 56, just have fun playing, it’s a roll up so no qualifiers, you can still stick casual cards in if you want to. As others have said, you may surprise yourself how well you score, not to mention honing the short game.

i think the restrictions of the number of clubs may also stop a player submitting a GP score. There are others on here who will be able to confirm or correct.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
i think the restrictions of the number of clubs may also stop a player submitting a GP score. There are others on here who will be able to confirm or correct.

Really?

I mostly play with a reduced number of clubs (8) because I carry, why can’t I submit a casual play card? Surely it’s the number of shots, not the number of clubs?