2022 Professional golf thread

Swango1980

Visit site
I used to watch golf most weekends, but pretty much don't bother. I'll watch the Majors, maybe the off World Golf Championship and the Ryder Cup. Anything else is just if I happen to be doing nothing else on a Sunday night, I might stick on a bit of the final round of the PGA Tour. This weekend probably demonstrated why I lost interested in the regular events.

I watched my first golf for a long time on Saturday, the final round of the Farmers Insurance. The coverage is horrific. Americans have an ad break every few minutes. Thankfully the British coverage fills a few of these breaks by talking over the coverage whilst the Americans are off getting another beer from the fridge. However, it makes the coverage feel so disjointed, with the US Commentary team and then the back up British team (who are not really grade A commentators, but jack of all trade pundits / commentators). But the US commentary team (that includes Faldo) are so so so bad. I got so fed up, especially when I had to hear for the 37th time in the hour that Zalatoris hits it far for a skinny kid, and he got his driver shaft lengthened. When I had to continually hear that Day is swinging differently now to protect his back. It is like they have one or 2 facts for each player, and they just continually spew this every time we see the player hit a shot.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Would’ve been happy to see either Hovland or Bland winning the play-off, both very likeable players, well done Vik

Never been a Rory fan but I think it was the right shot to go for it on 18. Even if he screwed it up he just needed to short wedge on and one-putt for the play off.

By going for it he actually had to make 2 ‘errors’ to lose out on a play-off spot, the long ball in the water and then two-putting from a short pitch
He might plan for making one of those mistakes into his shot choice but I don’t think there’s any way he (or any other top pro) would be where he is if he fancied his chances of making both screw ups

(I'd have lay'd up then chunked in in the water anyway :p)

sunshine

Visit site
Well done Hovland. And Bland too. And that Meronk fella who I'd never heard of before but seems to have discovered something.

But let's be clear: Rory blew it. You would expect him to play 17 and 18 under par. Two of the easiest holes all day, 84% of the field managed par or better on 18. He has to take the right side out of play for his 2nd shot on 18. Left was the safe miss.

Can we call it a choke?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
You obviously haven’t seen all of the other Tiger references. It was a mere jest with the OP.

Didn’t realise I was being monitored for what I post. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I mentioned Tiger ??‍♂️

Either way. It would be strange not to mention the GOAT of the sport the forum is based on from time to time.

Boomy

Visit site
Didn’t realise I was being monitored for what I post. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I mentioned Tiger ??‍♂️

Either way. It would be strange not to mention the GOAT of the sport the forum is based on from time to time.

You’re not old chap, but you’re obviously on a forum so your posts do get read, and I generally have a good memory (unless it’s something the Mrs asks me to do ?) But alas it was just a bit of jest. Either way, Richard Bland did rather good in Dubai.

Yes indeed, Jack Nicklaus is mentioned quite a bit ??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Apparently Ian Poulter has been offered £22m to join the Super Golf League
He's 46 and has winnings of about 28m....
If he goes for it there will be no more DPWT or PGA or Ryder Cup
Would you take the money and run?
It would be hard to turn down........

D

Deleted member 15344

Apparently Ian Poulter has been offered £22m to join the Super Golf League
He's 46 and has winnings of about 28m....
If he goes for it there will be no more DPWT or PGA or Ryder Cup
Would you take the money and run?
It would be hard to turn down........

The players that they may get are the likes of Poulter - players at the end of their careers

But I’ll be amazed if Poulter or Stenson will go near it

Yes it’s a lot of money but these guys don’t need that money - as well as winnings they have made millions in sponserships etc

They will no doubt grab a lot of the US players as Kokrak recently highlighted plus any Asian , Australian etc - Leishman , Scott etc

It’s disappointing to see Norman heading it - thought he had better morals

I see they are also planning to play at Centurion

evemccc

Visit site
I am in no way making excuses for Saudi Arabia, but Dubai / Qatar and plenty of other places have rotten human-rights records

Hell, rewind 20 years and the music world was full of Free Tibet concerts and yet now it’s rare to impossible to find any industry / organisation or any chorus of disapproval against China —- I realise of course that ‘normalisation’ will ensure the same will happen with Saudi Arabia

I have little interest in pro golf but I think that blowing up the PGA Tour wouldn’t be a bad thing….the PIP sort of sealed it for me

As in any threat to the status quo, vested interests and those who do well out of the current situation (NLU) are resistant to a challenge to current circumstances —- Just as Norman’s ‘growing the game’ is BS (IMO), almost equally so is the reasons put forward for the angst against Norman’s new league

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The players that they may get are the likes of Poulter - players at the end of their careers

But I’ll be amazed if Poulter or Stenson will go near it

Yes it’s a lot of money but these guys don’t need that money - as well as winnings they have made millions in sponserships etc

They will no doubt grab a lot of the US players as Kokrak recently highlighted plus any Asian , Australian etc - Leishman , Scott etc

It’s disappointing to see Norman heading it - thought he had better morals

I see they are also planning to play at Centurion
Saw that....
As he's Mr Ryder Cup that might sway him to dodge it.
I wonder what will happen to those that take the money..will they be ostracised by the rest of golf forever?

D

Deleted member 15344

What do morals have to do with it? The tours go to questionable places now, is this really different? Norman is a hard nosed businessman who will follow the money, end of.

So picking money over morals then ?‍♂️

And it’s the same sports washing seen in many other sports

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
so business and money over morals (even when youve got more money than you could ever need)?
So picking money over morals then ?‍♂️

And it’s the same sports washing seen in many other sports
I'm not the one making the decisions, I'm not the one touring the world, taking money from various questionable regimes. The ship sailed a while ago. Believing that only this move is morally questionable is kidding yourself.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm not the one making the decisions, I'm not the one touring the world, taking money from various questionable regimes. The ship sailed a while ago. Believing that only this move is morally questionable is kidding yourself.

Who said it was only this move that was morally questionable?

I believe the same conversation has come up a number of times in regards events that some believe are used for sport washing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who said it was only this move that was morally questionable?

I believe the same conversation has come up a number of times in regards events that some believe are used for sport washing.
You said you thought norman had better morals. That suggests this is the first time he has linked or played in a questionable country. Do you really think he wont have done anything in China or some of the other iffy countries around the world? Come on.

I don't condone this tournament but I stopped wringing my hands over sport selling out some time ago.

D

Deleted member 15344

You said you thought norman had better morals. That suggests this is the first time he has linked or played in a questionable country. Do you really think he wont have done anything in China or some of the other iffy countries around the world? Come on.

I don't condone this tournament but I stopped wringing my hands over sport selling out some time ago.

i have no idea what Norman has done previously- I was judging him on the fact he is headlining this whole thing , he is the face of it - he is smack bang front and centre of the whole thing. That’s what my judgement is about - the Golf Premier league