2022 Professional golf thread

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it me, or are the fairways at the Sentry Tournament of Champions stupidly wide? The fairways at my course are tiny in comparison. I know these guys are good but 17 under after 36 holes is a joke

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
JT ripped it to bits today as well
I suppose for most of the year its a resort course with its fair share of windy days, no point peeing of the tourists with balls lost off the tee

This always kinda feels like a post new year, blow the cobwebs off, showcase the players, tour event and probably in conjunction with the tourism industry to attract holidaymakers from the US.... And after all the players are all recent winners to boot so can make it look benign

I'd like to give it a go though

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s a resort course and has always resulted in low scores. It’s more like an exhibition event than a regular tour event.

Those fairways aren’t as wide when it gets really windy.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It’s a resort course and has always resulted in low scores. It’s more like an exhibition event than a regular tour event.

Very much like Victoria, the home of the Portuguese Masters. A resort course I’ve played many times, long but not desperately difficult, and the pros eat it for breakfast.

In years past scores in the -20’s were needed to be in with a sniff.

sunshine

Visit site
It’s not like any other course. The changes in elevation are massive, the slopes carry the ball away so need to be really wide. It can be pretty breezy too.

But when the course is soft the pros can destroy it. Like throwing darts. I heard the commentator say they have had 28 wet days since the start of December.

Firm and fast is how it’s designed to play, which makes it much more challenging, especially approaches to the greens.

D

Deleted member 1147

Apparently it was very wet, and as such target golf.
They were placing on days 1 & 2.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Interesting bit on Tv just now with Matt Jones getting a rules official to check that he wouldn't be penalised for anchoring while chipping with a 3 wood - he had an awkward stance with one foot in a bunker and had to grip so far down on the shaft that the 3 wood handle was up his arm and under his armpit.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting bit on Tv just now with Matt Jones getting a rules official to check that he wouldn't be penalised for anchoring while chipping with a 3 wood - he had an awkward stance with one foot in a bunker and had to grip so far down on the shaft that the 3 wood handle was up his arm and under his armpit.
I saw that too. I wonder how many other players would have called for a ruling.

evemccc

Visit site
I think the exemption should be something like 20 years after the win.

I think it’s cool in theory that they’re given that lifetime option, but it’s a bit cringey for Lyle to be doing it now

Although for some Faldo is seen as a bit odd, at least he was self-aware enough to call it a day a number of years back

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the exemption should be something like 20 years after the win.
The current exemption is vanity golf, both for the tournament and the players concerned. Your suggestion is a good compromise, still generous but not open ended as now. Not likely to happen sadly, ego's all round won't let it.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the past winners that are over 55 years old and cannot compete over 72 holes, just let them have their own 9 hole comp on the back 9. From the forward tees obviously. ?