2022 Professional golf thread

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would also mean that we'd never see another run at a major like Tom Watson made when he was 59 at the Open in 2009.
Maybe the exemption should stand until you miss the cut 10 years in a row. That way Woosnam would have been finished in 2018, and Lyle's exemption expires in 2024.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfair on Langer though who still makes the cut half the time. :D
I suspect he would still qualify at most majors anyway due to the number of tournaments he still wins on the seniors tour. Winning some of them qualifies you into them. He is still competitive, too many other past winners at Augusta are anything but.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well yeah, they probably will keep it as it is. We were just having some fun, apologies, I know you don't like that happening on your watch.

Fun ? Oh sorry I missed the part where someone said it was just fun , my apologies for mistaking it for a debate where people can post their opinion on that debate. Next time I’ll bring my party hat ? to enjoy the fun ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Although it is an honour, the sight of Mize shooting 84 in round Lyle at +12, Couples at +13 and Singh at +15 isn't really what it should be about and in my opinion these spaces should go to current players. Of course they should partake in the celebrations for past champions until the day they pass but watching them struggle does nothing to keep the memory of their achievements intact

D

Deleted member 15344

Anyone else get annoyed watching them play in lovely sunshine as the European Tour starts ?

Great start for some of them
Poulter doing very well

Great round from Jamieson and Hatton

Not so from McIlroy and Morikawa

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I quite like watching the old lads knocking it around Augusta.

Especially when one of them puts a score in or hits a worldy shot.

Yes it might keep a few of the lean, mean young thrusters out of the event. Honestly though. Who cares?

They can earn their chance like anyone else can.

Besides. Apart from Angel Cabrerra, you rarely see a golfer puffing on a tab these days. ?

D

Deleted member 3432

Although it is an honour, the sight of Mize shooting 84 in round Lyle at +12, Couples at +13 and Singh at +15 isn't really what it should be about and in my opinion these spaces should go to current players. Of course they should partake in the celebrations for past champions until the day they pass but watching them struggle does nothing to keep the memory of their achievements intact

Fred Couple's has had some tremendous tournaments over the years and you can't bracket him with the other names. He's finished high enough many times to earn a play in the following years event without needing ex champions exception.

I'd stop inviting the amateurs, ok for the 2 National championships but not in a small field event like this.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Would also mean that we'd never see another run at a major like Tom Watson made when he was 59 at the Open in 2009.
In fairness, The Open do allow past champions but they have an age limit - 60. This means that Tom Watson qualified in 2009 aged 59, but after that he was relying on other qualifying criteria and some exemptions. I imagine that 2nd place finish in 2009 must have accounted for a few Opens afterwards.

It also means that Lyle (aged 63) would now have to qualify for The Open via other means than the fact he won it in 1985.

Personally, I think this is better than just hoping the old guys eventually decide it isn't worth the trip to Augusta each year. Some exceptions of course - Langer and Couples both seem to be able to compete with the rest of the field.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
In fairness, The Open do allow past champions but they have an age limit - 60. This means that Tom Watson qualified in 2009 aged 59, but after that he was relying on other qualifying criteria and some exemptions. I imagine that 2nd place finish in 2009 must have accounted for a few Opens afterwards.

It also means that Lyle (aged 63) would now have to qualify for The Open via other means than the fact he won it in 1985.

Personally, I think this is better than just hoping the old guys eventually decide it isn't worth the trip to Augusta each year. Some exceptions of course - Langer and Couples both seem to be able to compete with the rest of the field.
Sandy won in 1988 not 85 - I quite like the exempt until 60 mark - maybe with a proviso that when you get to that mark if you make the cut you get a couple of extra years exemption - pretty sure that Freddie and Bernhard would make a cut given two starts.

D

Deleted member 1147

Sandy won in 1988 not 85 - I quite like the exempt until 60 mark - maybe with a proviso that when you get to that mark if you make the cut you get a couple of extra years exemption - pretty sure that Freddie and Bernhard would make a cut given two starts.
I thought he won the Open in 85 & Masters in 88

sunshine

Visit site
I think the exemption should be something like 20 years after the win.

It's an invitational tournament, so the organisers are able to select who they think the fans want to see. I think spectators and TV viewers still have more interest in former winners like Woosnam compared to some of the current crop of top 30 players. Anyone want to follow Hughes, Kokrak or Gooch?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Would I rather watch young talented players chasing birdies, or blokes struggling to break 80? Me personally, I'll go with the better quality.

It is really cool to see Langer and Couples compete, but not so much Lyle miss the cut.

AliMc

Visit site
Anyone else get annoyed watching them play in lovely sunshine as the European Tour starts ?

Great start for some of them
Poulter doing very well

Great round from Jamieson and Hatton

Not so from McIlroy and Morikawa
Seen on Twitter that it looks lovely and windy today, more like the conditions that I would like to see them playing in

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just seen Adam Scott’s new putter for the first time. It looks more like something that Tracey Emin would knock up for some modern art exhibition ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just seen Adam Scott’s new putter for the first time. It looks more like something that Tracey Emin would knock up for some modern art exhibition ?
Had to Google it and found this - it appears to be the LAB thing that @Bdill93 was raving about? I've seen it on Rick Shiels' channel. I believe he said it was really good if you can bring yourself to look at it. :LOL: