2022 Professional golf thread

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting that in 2021 Morikawa was 178th in that list :oops:. The stats don't always tell everything.
I knew his putting was streaky but didn't think it was quite that bad. Shows you just how good his ball-striking is that he still got to number 2 in the world.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I knew his putting was streaky but didn't think it was quite that bad. Shows you just how good his ball-striking is that he still got to number 2 in the world.

I’ve just looked, there’s a thousand different putting stats you can choose from so I’m not sure which is the best overall picture of someone’s ability. Saying that though Morikawa is well down the list on them all ?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Gutsy putt by McIlroy to birdie the last to make the projected cut at +3. Worked hard to grind a score out. Can't win it but hopefully he can have a good weekend and find a bit of form
I watched it too, but I saw it as he frittered away shots on the back 9 or 10 holes, not sure I would call it grinding out a score, although I give it to you it was a great birdie on the last, the wind was very strong that his 2nd shot to the green from the middle of the fairway, with a fairway wood out of the screws went just 220 yards, leaving him still nearly 50 yards to get up and down to give him a good chance of still making the cut

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It also shows how much potential he has - if he can fix his putting, he will be the best in the world by a length.

Saying that, Westwood has been at that stage several times previously and could never sort it out. Rory would be the best in the world if he was a better wedge player, Luke Donald would have dominated the game for a decade had he hit the ball 20 yards longer, etc.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It also shows how much potential he has - if he can fix his putting, he will be the best in the world by a length.

Saying that, Westwood has been at that stage several times previously and could never sort it out. Rory would be the best in the world if he was a better wedge player, Luke Donald would have dominated the game for a decade had he hit the ball 20 yards longer, etc.

He doesn’t really need to fix his putting. He, like Rahm, Rory, DJ, Westwood are soo good tee to Green that they just need to be half decent at putting one week and they win. If they have a really good week with the putter they win by a lot.

Unfortunately for Westwood. His good putting week never happened at a major.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
He doesn’t really need to fix his putting. He, like Rahm, Rory, DJ, Westwood are soo good tee to Green that they just need to be half decent at putting one week and they win. If they have a really good week with the putter they win by a lot.

Unfortunately for Westwood. His good putting week never happened at a major.
To become number 1 by some distance, he does need to improve his putting. As I said, if he becomes a good putter then he will be the best in the world by a fair margin.

To remain as he is - one of the best of about 10 or so - then no, he doesn't need to fix anything. I imagine that is where he'll probably stay.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
From the BBC website (my bold):
Tyrrell Hatton said he would like to "blow up" the 18th after it ruined his chance of defending the title.
The Englishman did birdie the par-five hole - measured at 634 yards - in Sunday's final round as he closed with a five-under 67 to finish on seven under, but called it a "terrible finishing hole".
Hatton, who won this title when it was played at the Abu Dhabi Golf Club in 2021, had a double-bogey seven in Friday's blustery conditions and then signed for a ruinous quadruple-bogey nine on Saturday.
"I would love for a bomb to drop on it and blow it to oblivion," he told BBC Sport.
"The fact they've moved the tee back is ridiculous. I hit a really good tee shot and I've still got 290 yards to the front [of the green].
"I could peg driver up again and still not get there. It'd be a much better finishing hole if you were rewarded for hitting the fairway, which as it stands, you're not.
"If we're coming back here next year, it'd be nice if they redesigned it. It's a bit of an ask so we may not be back."

Errr......it's a par 5 Tyrrell, basically you ruined your chance of winning by not accepting that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tyrrell Hatton said he would like to "blow up" the 18th after it ruined his chance of defending the title.
The Englishman did birdie the par-five hole - measured at 634 yards - in Sunday's final round as he closed with a five-under 67 to finish on seven under, but called it a "terrible finishing hole".
Hatton, who won this title when it was played at the Abu Dhabi Golf Club in 2021, had a double-bogey seven in Friday's blustery conditions and then signed for a ruinous quadruple-bogey nine on Saturday.
"I would love for a bomb to drop on it and blow it to oblivion," he told BBC Sport.
"The fact they've moved the tee back is ridiculous. I hit a really good tee shot and I've still got 290 yards to the front [of the green].
"I could peg driver up again and still not get there. It'd be a much better finishing hole if you were rewarded for hitting the fairway, which as it stands, you're not.
"If we're coming back here next year, it'd be nice if they redesigned it. It's a bit of an ask so we may not be back."

Errr......it's a par 5 Tyrrell, basically you ruined your chance of winning by not accepting that.
I watched a good chunk of this yesterday, great days golf, and I could not work out what his beef was. Was it basically that he could not reach the green in 2 and so that made him grumpy? If so, I think it is, that is pretty childish and embarrassing. Not all par 5's are there to be eagled or birdied at will. Players did still birdie the hole but they had to work hard to do it, they even had to play it like a par 5 was meant to be played :eek:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Yeah when i read his comments I did wonder if other elite tour pros think like that and how many more don't accept that just occasionally there will be a par 5 that cant be reached in 2
(although as a closing hole to a televised tour event on a Sunday its probably not good for entertainment to have a 3-shotter. Doesn't easily allow for folks getting birdies/eagles to shake up the leaderboard and might have made for a long playoff)