2019 US PGA

D

Deleted member 1147

I was asking a question,which you have answered 👍🏻

Tiger as won by bigger margins in majors,so by your reckoning he beats Rory with his A game?
I still believe Rory can do stuff the others can’t.
But like I said before, when it doesn’t go well he cannot score like others . Molinari, Fowler, Rose, DJ etc score better on bad days than Rory.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think the thing about Rory and his A game is that 5-7 years ago it was way ahead. Now his A game gets him in contention but has to go by someone like Koepka who is imo all around a better player especially mentally.

But then I like Koepka and not Rory so maybe I'm as biased as all the Rory fans are.

Side note though so good to see Spieth up there after 2 rounds, love to see him finish strong and begin contending again in the big events.

I do like Rory,just think other players are at least as good as him.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some performance by BK....great about Beemer....

No Tiger should mean a few sports tourists stay away, so less daft shouting out.. Ryder Cup there will be carnage

Watched the highlights of Koepka's round on You Tube this morning. That was some performance!

Almost put it on mute though as the fans were nauseating and the US commentary is woeful.

Chris1967

Visit site
You wonder why half the crowd bother to turn up to tournaments ,when they spend most of it behind a mobile filming ,or as I have noticed,quite frequently texting someone as a player is taking his shot!
Isn't it a distraction to the players as well?

I think tournaments should follow the masters and ban the use of the wretched things during the event.

Think this isn't done yet regarding the winner,exciting third round coming up...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But like I said before, when it doesn’t go well he cannot score like others . Molinari, Fowler, Rose, DJ etc score better on bad days than Rory.

Id love to know what Rory can do that Koepka is missing out on currently :)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Id love to know what Rory can do that Koepka is missing out on currently :)

So would I!
But the answer is nothing, he can’t do anything better than any other of the top players.
I’m a big fan of Rory but I’m not deluded or believe that if he brings his “A GAME” he is unbeatable as that is just simply not the case.

Chris1967

Visit site
Koepka is unbeatable at the moment,unreal he is 12 under on a course as long as bethpage ,and with rough just off the fairway if he keeps it up it will rank as one of the best performances seen in any major.

I would be pleased to break 100 playing off 10 at that course.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Stunning tee shot on 8 par3 from Rory

Is it just coincidence that every player bar 1 in the feature groups on all three days has worn Nike kit?

D

Deleted member 15344

I think that sums it up - when on form Rory can destroy courses with eases but I still think the competition is so strong right now it’s near on impossible for a player to be at that top form for a consistent period. Rory has been in great form this year but he just needs to get four good rounds going in the majors

It would be outstanding if we could have - Rory , Rose , Koepka , DJ all on form in a major - imagine the ball striking.

Rory is still going to win more majors , I really don’t see Rose winning any more and not sure about DJ , Koepka certainly will imo

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It has little to do with what Rory can do if and when he's ever 'on' again, there's just too many others at the same level

At this stage in his career he is far more dependent on other players being 'off' their game in order for him to win a major

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It has little to do with what Rory can do if and when he's ever 'on' again, there's just too many others at the same level

At this stage in his career he is far more dependent on other players being 'off' their game in order for him to win a major
Agreed

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I know this has been said a billion times.....but the players on the US tour really should be forced to shout fore. It's so damn dangerous.
I think that sums it up - when on form Rory can destroy courses with eases but I still think the competition is so strong right now it’s near on impossible for a player to be at that top form for a consistent period. Rory has been in great form this year but he just needs to get four good rounds going in the majors

It would be outstanding if we could have - Rory , Rose , Koepka , DJ all on form in a major - imagine the ball striking.

Rory is still going to win more majors , I really don’t see Rose winning any more and not sure about DJ , Koepka certainly will imo

I think if he wins anymore it’ll be the open. His record at the us and pga has been poor for a few years now. Augusta although suited to him, is a massive psychological block.

I’d love to see him complete the slam, but tbh atm I don’t see how his A game would have been any better than what Koepka did Thursday. I’d like to see them all at their best too, to see if he really is that much better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I think if he wins anymore it’ll be the open. His record at the us and pga has been poor for a few years now. Augusta although suited to him, is a massive psychological block.

I’d love to see him complete the slam, but tbh atm I don’t see how his A game would have been any better than what Koepka did Thursday. I’d like to see them all at their best too, to see if he really is that much better.

Rory has had those rounds as well and in majors , just like Rose has , DJ , Scott etc etc - they have all had rounds where they have destroyed a course in a major. But it’s all guess work until these players all hit top form at the same time to really see.

It’s a shame that every time a major comes round when Rory isnt contending he is written off , he is only just turned 30.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Rory has had those rounds as well and in majors , just like Rose has , DJ , Scott etc etc - they have all had rounds where they have destroyed a course in a major. But it’s all guess work until these players all hit top form at the same time to really see.

It’s a shame that every time a major comes round when Rory is contending he is written off , he is only just turned 30.
He’s not been written off.
We’re just having a discussion.
Isn’t that why we’re here? 🤷‍♂️

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

It’s a shame that every time a major comes round when Rory is contending he is written off , he is only just turned 30.

Don't think it's his age, probably more to do with the fact that it's 5 years since he was 'on' in a major and now there's at least half a dozen others who are every bit as good as he is when they're 'on'
We still see Rory 'on' for several holes but that just won't cut it at the sharp end of the majors

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Isn't that largely true for any of the top 20 though..?
Tiger played well at Augusta but if others had stepped up he may not have won.
You need more than a decent dose of good fortune to win any Major.
You need the other top players to have off days - that even goes for Brooks this weekend.
Granted, he's been superb but nobody else is going with him.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

It’s a shame that every time a major comes round when Rory isnt contending he is written off , he is only just turned 30.
I can't recall when Rory last had a first round like that. He has hit good scores. But when he last had a round clearly better than the rest of the field?

Also. Why is it wrong for people to question him and yet OK for others to claim he's the best of the best when on it. when in the last 5 years his record in majors and PGA events doesn't show this?

Certainly not writing him off. But I wouldn't say more majors are as likely as they were 5 years ago.