2019 US PGA

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The so called “weakest” major of the year.

Really really like Bethpage Black though. Tough as old boots.

I hope that Rory has a stormer. Tiger again? Rose needs to step up and show his #1 credentials. DJ is probably my pick though.

Looking forward to it

D

Deleted member 1147

Looks like it's going to be wet and play very long - so it could well be right up Rory's alley (a bit like Valhalla).

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I know the PGA is the less fancied major, but it probably has the deepest field with guaranteed entry for the top 100.

the Open and US Open have the top 50 with the other 100 spots given out to a host of other categories, with the qualifiers, amateurs, past winners and various others.

Not getting too excited for Rory, will just see what transpires. Hoping it's a tough challenge and obviously you'd imagine one of the longer hitters will be favoured. I'd reckon winner has a good chance to come from Rory, Brooks, JT and maybe Rahm.

Wolf

Visit site
Not overly fancying Rory for this, I think someone like Koepka, JT or Jason Day will come through the pack for this one.

But again you can't count out Woods, this is going to need some exceptional Iron play this week. I like the PGA and the field always tends to give a good account of themselves really looking forward to it.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I know the PGA is the less fancied major, but it probably has the deepest field with guaranteed entry for the top 100.

the Open and US Open have the top 50 with the other 100 spots given out to a host of other categories, with the qualifiers, amateurs, past winners and various others.

Not getting too excited for Rory, will just see what transpires. Hoping it's a tough challenge and obviously you'd imagine one of the longer hitters will be favoured. I'd reckon winner has a good chance to come from Rory, Brooks, JT and maybe Rahm.

Just to back up your probably...
"It has the strongest field in golf

Unlike the other three majors, which feature some amateur qualifiers/invitees, the PGA Championship is reserved for professionals. It always features more players in the top 100 of the Official World Golf Ranking than any of the other majors, making it the deepest field. "

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree that the USPGA is always seen as the weakest of the four majors but I think the venue this year really adds something to the event. It'll be a really hard test for everyone and so the winner will have to work really hard especially with all of the best there. I heard somewhere (may have been SSN) that for the first time ever all of the top 100 in the rankings will be in the field (subject to anyone pulling out at this late stage). I can't see Tiger winning nor can I see Rory doing well. Would love to see Rose find some form again

D

Deleted member 16999

Rose and Molinari to be in the mix again with Spieth as an outsider.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's considered the weakest not because of the difficulty to win it, but because there's no relay history or anything that makes it special compared to the other majors.

The Open is the oldest open in the world, played on the traditional links courses that are some of the oldest courses in the world and the only one not played in the USA

The Masters is the only major to be played on the same course every year, lots of quirky traditions like the green jacket, birds nest etc

The US Open is a very old tournament with a lot of history and is usually the one that is the toughest test as they set the course up ridiculously hard.

What does the PGA bring that is different, what's the real difference between the PGA and the Players for example. That's why I think it's the weakest it doesn't have any prestige to it, no one as a youngster dreams of winning the PGA.

I'd also question whether having the top 100 makes it a tougher field, by my calculations you have to go back to 2011 to have any winner of any major outside the top 50.

If I was running the world I would have this major rotated around the tours, one years in the USA one year on the European Tour etc.

Anyway, I think Rory will be in the mix, hope he can close it out

D

Deleted member 1147

If I was running the world I would have this major rotated around the tours, one years in the USA one year on the European Tour etc.
It's the USPGA, run by the PGA of America for it's Pro's. That's why there are always a load of club Pro's playing (like our PGA championship @ Wentworth).
I don't see why they would ever let it be played anywhere other than the USA.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
It's the USPGA, run by the PGA of America for it's Pro's. That's why there are always a load of club Pro's playing (like our PGA championship @ Wentworth).
I don't see why they would ever let it be played anywhere other than the USA.

Yeah I get that.

What I meant to say was the in my world this major, so the one that it isn't the Open; US Open; and Masters would be rotated. A completely different major. Not rotate the USPGA around different tours.

Just in my opinion this major adds nothing, it doesn't stand out in anyway, has no prestige, so in my world I would scrap it as a major and do something new that is played in different countries

D

Deleted member 1147

Yeah I get that.

What I meant to say was the in my world this major, so the one that it isn't the Open; US Open; and Masters would be rotated. A completely different major. Not rotate the USPGA around different tours.

Just in my opinion this major adds nothing, it doesn't stand out in anyway, has no prestige, so in my world I would scrap it as a major and do something new that is played in different countries
I get you (y)

I feel the same way about the WGC's - they are supposed to be World Golf Championships and are only played in the America's & China at the moment.

D

Deleted member 18588

But in the USA the PGA Tournament is considered to have " a real history, ".

First played in 1916 it pre dates The Masters by 18 years and is, itself, only a similar term younger than the US Open.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
But in the USA the PGA Tournament is considered to have " a real history, ".

First played in 1916 it pre dates The Masters by 18 years and is, itself, only a similar term younger than the US Open.

Having history and having prestige are different things.

The Masters isn't a major because of it's history but rather the prestige of the event. To the outside world the PGA is no different from the Players and a lesser tournament to the US Open. There have been movies about the US Open I can never see a movie being made about the PGA championship.

Most golf fans can name the last few winners of each major, but maybe not the PGA and can most people remember the PGA venues compared to The Open and US Open venues?

D

Deleted member 18588

Having history and having prestige are different things.

The Masters isn't a major because of it's history but rather the prestige of the event. To the outside world the PGA is no different from the Players and a lesser tournament to the US Open. There have been movies about the US Open I can never see a movie being made about the PGA championship.

Most golf fans can name the last few winners of each major, but maybe not the PGA and can most people remember the PGA venues compared to The Open and US Open venues?

The "outside world" is, I am afraid, irrelevant.

In the eyes of the players, TV companies, equipment manufacturers etc; the US PGA is one of the four Majors.

As for venues again I am afraid I fail to see the significance. Both the US Open and the PGA have made some strange choices of host courses and many question the Old Course' s suitability to hold a modern Open.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The "outside world" is, I am afraid, irrelevant.

In the eyes of the players, TV companies, equipment manufacturers etc; the US PGA is one of the four Majors.

As for venues again I am afraid I fail to see the significance. Both the US Open and the PGA have made some strange choices of host courses and many question the Old Course' s suitability to hold a modern Open.

I know it's a major and that is never going to change. I was just trying to explain why it's the weak major history aside.

My point about venues is that most golf fans can name where the last 3 Opens or US Opens were held, but probably not the PGA.

It doesn't mean it isn't a major, but it's the major everyone cares the least about. The players may want to win it, but if you offered any tour player the choice of winning any major of their choice I'd bet none would choose the PGA

D

Deleted member 18588

I know it's a major and that is never going to change. I was just trying to explain why it's the weak major history aside.

My point about venues is that most golf fans can name where the last 3 Opens or US Opens were held, but probably not the PGA.

It doesn't mean it isn't a major, but it's the major everyone cares the least about. The players may want to win it, but if you offered any tour player the choice of winning any major of their choice I'd bet none would choose the PGA

I am clearly one of the exceptions to most golf fans as, despite watching all of the Majors on television, I couldn't tell you where (Masters aside) any of them had been played. It's just not a factor in my enjoyment, or otherwise, of the event.

I do, however, know that the Open is held at St Andrews every fifth year.

D

Deleted member 15344

The PGA plays at some of the most iconic venues in the US

Quail Hollow , Whistling Straits , Kiawah Island , Oakland Hill’s , Medinah , Hazeltine , Valhalla as well as places like Pebble Beach and Oakmont

It’s prob not got as much “prestige” because it wasn’t well known beyond the US and the format was more Matchplay early. Most pros will have it forth on the list but it’s still a major with a lot of history and it’s good imo that it does throw up different winners

I personally would prefer to see it not as a major and have the fourth outside the US