2019 US PGA

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must confess to getting bored watching it. I quite like it when they set up a cousre to penalise the wayward shots of the pros, but it seemed to me that those just off the fairways were punished way more than those spraying it way wide.
There also seemed to be no atmosphere, other than that of a friday night at the pub, all chatter and beer bores mouthing off.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know this has been covered loads before but I thought the coverage for this event was really poor. I know you show the leader and challengers but apart from Brooks, DJ, Wallace and Rory you very rarely saw many of the rest of the field. It's the first time in ages I've been bored just watching a select few rather than showing more of the play.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I don't doubt that Bethpage is a tough course and a real test of golf, it was pretty boring to watch on tv. Not many holes seemed to have much in the way of obvious character.

For me this is why I think they need to change the PGA to the same course all time

I love the masters because of the history with each hole

I prefer the players to the pga and think it would make a much better 4th major

Keep the us open and open as touring events so it’s “an open” but keep the pga and the masters to a single course to build some love for the holes

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me this is why I think they need to change the PGA to the same course all time

Keep the us open and open as touring events so it’s “an open” but keep the pga and the masters to a single course to build some love for the holes
I see where you're coming from. Speaking as someone who's only been watching golf majors for the last 3 or 4 years, the PGA does have a bit of poor man's US Open feel about it really. As in there's not very much difference between the two, but the US Open feels the more prestigious one.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Whilst I have sympathy with that view, how many clubs could afford to lose the best part of 6 months each year to prep for the next major?...and would the members really want it?

D

Deleted member 15344

The PGA has been to some stunning courses and will go to some great ones in the future - Bethpage is a great course but the production of the coverage did the course no favours at all - it was really poor and I didn’t even bother watching last night.

The issues this year wasn’t down to the course or the set up - CBS didn’t do the event or the course any justice at all , the shot tracking was appalling and they only showed a few golfers and some not even in contention. It’s prob the worst TV coverage of a major I have seen.

You can’t have the USPGA at just one course - what’s the point in that ? And which course would they pick - for me all the majors should move around multiple courses in a rota

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I have sympathy with that view, how many clubs could afford to lose the best part of 6 months each year to prep for the next major?...and would the members really want it?

The players has it every year anyways same time etc so that for me is the ideal pick , really love watching them round sawgrass aswell

Enjoy the players much more than the pga

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The PGA has been to some stunning courses and will go to some great ones in the future - Bethpage is a great course but the production of the coverage did the course no favours at all - it was really poor and I didn’t even bother watching last night.

The issues this year wasn’t down to the course or the set up - CBS didn’t do the event or the course any justice at all , the shot tracking was appalling and they only showed a few golfers and some not even in contention. It’s prob the worst TV coverage of a major I have seen.

You can’t have the USPGA at just one course - what’s the point in that ? And which course would they pick - for me all the majors should move around multiple courses in a rota
While the coverage may have been poor, the sky team did the best with the pictures they were given although even they were commenting that shot tracer was picking up divots and not the ball at time. I thought Bethpage was a decent course and the greens in particular showed there were putts to be made. I wonder how differently they'll set it up when the RC goes to Bethpage

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I don't see how this would change it or improve it dramatically. They always seem to favour a course & set up that favours the bigger hitters. Hence why Rory, Brooks, Day, JT have all won recent events. And possibly why Spieth has a seriously hard job winning a career grand slam.

If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could build a purpose built course and maybe people would have more of an affinity with it, but it's still not going to be Augusta or St. Andrews or even Sawgrass.

I personally don't believe any Major should be at the same course every year. Clearly that's how the Masters has developed, and it is not going to change - but gives certain players a built in advantage to their golfing season / career to play a course that suits them in a major tournaments. Mixing it up and taking it to different courses / conditions is a better way of finding the best players. Bubba Watson has 2 Masters and has barely even contended in any other majors. Clearly he has a built in advantage being a lefty and the way the course sets up for lefties. The fact that they can fade it round the corners and that their 'miss' tends to be short left, rather than short right.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wonder how differently they'll set it up when the RC goes to Bethpage

Considering how poorly the Europeans competed I suspect the Amercian team may want it to be fairly similar. Maybe they will reduce the rough past 330yds for the benefit of their own team but our poor boys can't hit it that far so it wont matter to them. Big bullies.................:D

The only issue for the US team is that they tend to like a birdie fest and Bethpage set up hard is anything but that. Something for their captain to ponder

D

Deleted member 16999

Considering how poorly the Europeans competed I suspect the Amercian team may want it to be fairly similar. Maybe they will reduce the rough past 330yds for the benefit of their own team but our poor boys can't hit it that far so it wont matter to them. Big bullies.................:D

The only issue for the US team is that they tend to like a birdie fest and Bethpage set up hard is anything but that. Something for their captain to ponder
Or just remove all the rough and let them hit it anywhere, anyhow.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or just remove all the rough and let them hit it anywhere, anyhow.
I guess that is something to ask the American bombers. Do you want rough or not, do you want it up to 310yds etc? Interesting to hear what the likes of Koepka, Johnson etc have to say as well as the shorter hitters who would also make the team. Their past route is remove the rough so I suspect you are correct.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Bethpage is a fantastic course but one of it's best features is the use of the changes of elevation, something that television completely flattens out. Television simply doesn't do it justice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess that is something to ask the American bombers. Do you want rough or not, do you want it up to 310yds etc? Interesting to hear what the likes of Koepka, Johnson etc have to say as well as the shorter hitters who would also make the team. Their past route is remove the rough so I suspect you are correct.
I think you're right especially given the issues their big hitters had in Paris. Sadly though I think this will really lose a lot the Bethpage character and protection and ruin the course. Money talks though and so I'm sure they'll go ahead regardless.