2019 US PGA

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because he played better than everyone below him......

it's almost an oxymoron, he looked to me to be struggling at best for most of the weekend, out of position numerous times and back to his frustrating self playing from the rough. But, seems like most of the rest of the field also struggled over there, so maybe he wasn't as bad as we give him credit for :)

last time Rory won a major the following major winners had zero

Jason Day
Dustin Johnson
Jimmy walker
Henrik stenson
Sergio Garcia
Danny Willet
Justin Thomas
Patrick Reed
Franceso Mollinari

Brooks and Spieth also had zero majors.. they now have 7 between them

about time Rory pulled his finger out

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I can misquote from a film, Rory is very good, he's just not the Messiah. We wanted him to be the all conquering hero but unfortunately he is not that player. He is an extremely good player but now are a number of others at a similar level and a few who are slightly better when it really matters.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If I can misquote from a film, Rory is very good, he's just not the Messiah. We wanted him to be the all conquering hero but unfortunately he is not that player. He is an extremely good player but now are a number of others at a similar level and a few who are slightly better when it really matters.

I think there's some truth in that, but apparently that's treated as a crime by some! ;)

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Because he played better than everyone below him......

it's almost an oxymoron, he looked to me to be struggling at best for most of the weekend, out of position numerous times and back to his frustrating self playing from the rough. But, seems like most of the rest of the field also struggled over there, so maybe he wasn't as bad as we give him credit for :)

He’s a victim of his early success. It’s the yardstick he will always be measured against.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He’s a victim of his early success. It’s the yardstick he will always be measured against.
I think there is an element of truth in this and because he was successful early in his career in terms of majors there was an assumption by some that he would go on to dominate as Woods had. Clearly this hasn't happened and I simply think the likes of Koepka and Spieth in particular have improved and moved forward quicker than McIlroy and while Rory still could win another major I now think there are players including DJ and the aforementioned Koepka and Spieth who have found a successful formula for majors. I don't think for whatever reasons, Rory is playing consistently enough week in/week out which must make it harder to peak for a major

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I see it as, he's streaky at best and doesn't play enough to give himself a chance to find a hot streak. The more he played, the more chance he would have, but has not chosen to go down that route. I think he would be much more successful (He's clearly successful, so I mean wins) if he played more often and the majors were just another event rather than "The" event. Guessing he is happy with his approach and just being patient, waiting for that day.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why are we still talking about McIlroy?? Jesus Christ. He was completely inconsequential at this event.

I ended up making £13.50 from my £13 worth of bets, so raking in that 50p profit. :LOL: All of that was from Cantlay each way. Had DJ to win and he gave it a damn good go. I also had Schauffele each way which would have got me another tenner but he bottled it big-time and bogeyed all of the last 5 holes! Was obviously desperate not to make me any money. I ever see him we're gonna have words.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The chat on The Cut was that Rory suits the US style of course, long, not much rough etc as it allows him to bomb with freedom. For the Majors, excluding Augusta, the courses are tougher than regular tournaments, narrower fairways, longer rough, and so if he bombs slightly off line then it is tougher for his second shot and that puts him on the back foot more. On regular PGA courses the rough is minimal so he can get away with it. Clearly he is good enough to hit top 10's in Majors still but he is not challenging.

The other comment they made, and this is where Augusta comes into it, is his wedge play is not as good as it should be so that means to win he needs to have a hot putter, something you can't do all of the time. Where other players put there wedges close his leaves him with bigger putts which you simply can not keep making for 72 holes.

It was an interesting chat to listen to. It made a good deal of sense.

Incidentally, we should be giving a big round of applause to Matt Wallace. A cracking 4 days for him, he has properly announce himself on the world scene now.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I do wonder what McIlroy's motivation is like. He's 30, has 4 majors, more money than God.

He's talented enough that he will probably win a few more majors before he retires. He doesn't come across as someone who is determined to graft on his game to dominate. I can't see him spending 12 hours at the range like Vijay did to get his wedge play perfect.

I'm sure he does work hard or course, just not sure he has the drive to make himself the world's best player. It came so easily to him when he was young that he probably has become a victim of his success.

But still when he is in full flow there is nothing better to watching in golf in my opinion

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't say I loved this Major, but it's a course that required full concentration throughout. Koepka won it the first 2 days (12 under), he was 4 over for his last 2 days. Wallace did brilliantly, highest placed European, and despite a major wrecking first 27 holes, McIlroy rounds out European involvement in the top 10 with a tie for 8th with Lowry.

Fleetwoods hosting duties last week surely damaged his chances, and going forward the new Calendar dates will serve those stateside - basically, from Masters week (or arguably from the Matchplay WGC in March) you'd be safer staying in the USA until after the US Open, so end of June at the earliest. That's 3-4 months where the best European Tour eligible players won't be playing European Tour golf - or if they do, it'll (subjectively!) be to their detriment.

Re: Majors won by others since Rorys last win, there's been 24 winnners since Rose won a Major; between Tigers 14th & 15th, there were 42, so it's not really a good yardstick to measure McIlroys ability or potential to win another. I think he will. Lot's think he won't. I mean Tiger was finished and wasn't going to win a Major again. And then he did. But I do agree, he needs to get the finger out. Playing more would help. I really really hope he decides to play the Irish Open - going Scottish, Irish, Open will surely be more beneficial than Scottish, week off, Open?

D

Deleted member 18588

Aside from the winner I have to say I was very impressed by Wallace.

After his small implosion at Hillside he revealed a more mature side to his character in dealing with the tribulations of Bethpage.

Sadly, however, I fear that he will be the next to realise that the PGA Tour is the place to be or, at least, it can seem to be and he will be largely lost to the European Tour.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Can't say I loved this Major, but it's a course that required full concentration throughout. Koepka won it the first 2 days (12 under), he was 4 over for his last 2 days. Wallace did brilliantly, highest placed European, and despite a major wrecking first 27 holes, McIlroy rounds out European involvement in the top 10 with a tie for 8th with Lowry.

Fleetwoods hosting duties last week surely damaged his chances, and going forward the new Calendar dates will serve those stateside - basically, from Masters week (or arguably from the Matchplay WGC in March) you'd be safer staying in the USA until after the US Open, so end of June at the earliest. That's 3-4 months where the best European Tour eligible players won't be playing European Tour golf - or if they do, it'll (subjectively!) be to their detriment.

Re: Majors won by others since Rorys last win, there's been 24 winnners since Rose won a Major; between Tigers 14th & 15th, there were 42, so it's not really a good yardstick to measure McIlroys ability or potential to win another. I think he will. Lot's think he won't. I mean Tiger was finished and wasn't going to win a Major again. And then he did. But I do agree, he needs to get the finger out. Playing more would help. I really really hope he decides to play the Irish Open - going Scottish, Irish, Open will surely be more beneficial than Scottish, week off, Open?

The order is Irish - Scottish - Open
(last I heard he was skipping the Irish to play in Scotland the week before The Open)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I liked the set up of the course and how brutal it became on Sunday but for me the crowd made me turn over a few times. Having been at the Masters the week before the difference between the 2 crowds was massive (not numbers wise). I get the hostility and excitement but some of the shouting was ridiculous. Every tee shot or shot from the rough there was a mash potato or some other stupid comment, even before they knew where the ball was heading!! Support, banter and cheering a good shot - brilliant but shouting ridiculous stuff is beyond annoying.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
The order is Irish - Scottish - Open
(last I heard he was skipping the Irish to play in Scotland the week before The Open)

Yes, that's right! Got confused, still, don't think it would be that bad an idea to play both as part of his build up.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally like the fact that the pros are challenged and this certainly had a major feel about it, especially with such tough conditions yesterday afternoon.

A few issues... it's a fairly blunt instrument to just reduce a long course to par 70 and have a load of thick rough around the greens to force guys to hit long carries onto the putting surface (and basically giving guys no shot from the rough).
The set up overwhelmingly favoured a bomber and it's no surprise Koepka / DJ were the only two guys realistically in contention, and that other bombers such as Wallace and Rory placed highly. Spieth perhaps the big surprise who had a good finish despite not being massively long (basically holed a LOT of putts).

Ok - so you put a premium on length and accuracy. Basically the guys who can hit long drives on the fairway have a big advantage. So that's not a huge issue in itself and it's obviously a legitimate skill to bomb it, but what you then do is you take a load of good players out of the mix and massively reduce the chances of an exciting event with multiple players in contention.

I think if the weather had been much drier we'd have seen less in the way of rough - both by design and by agronomy and things could have been firm and fast. We would then have seen a much bigger premium on ball striking and in recovery play around the greens. That would have given the likes of Koepka less of an advantage as the fairways would basically have been slivers at 330 and meant a few other players with different types of games might have been in the mix.

I'd say you could run that event another 5 times in the same conditions and the only guys in with a chance would have been Koepka, DJ, Rory, Thomas (if fit), Scott or Day.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whilst I don't doubt that Bethpage is a tough course and a real test of golf, it was pretty boring to watch on tv. Not many holes seemed to have much in the way of obvious character.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad to see Brooks get over the line, he did have a bit of a wobble but so did Dustin on 16 and 17. Back-to-back US Opens and US PGA's is mighty impressive, he's seriously, seriously good, be amazed if he doesn't win more majors.

The crowd were dreadful, the Ryder Cup at Bethpage is going to be horrendous.