YouTubers.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Proper character

My cousin fit a door at his sons house - to his surprise Neil was there to let him in "You must be Dave.."

He came out after an hour or so "Do you want a coffee Dave", my cousin replied "oh aye, that would be lovely"
Warnock responded with "Well if you're making one, make me on an' all will you Dave" 😂

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Both R Shiels and P Finch have done 'unboxing' vids recently... Opening boxes of clubs they'd been sent free to test/review, lots of them

Not only had they not tested them in the weeks/months since they got them, they hadn't even opened the box! How much stuff must be flung at guys like them?

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Both R Shiels and P Finch have done 'unboxing' vids recently... Opening boxes of clubs they'd been sent free to test/review, lots of them

Not only had they not tested them in the weeks/months since they got them, they hadn't even opened the box! How much stuff must be flung at guys like them?

Yes, it shows how the big channels get all the freebies, I've diddly squat from Slazenger, Petron, Dunlop, Gradidge, Ben Sayers, John Letters, J.B. Halley, George Nicoll, the list goes on...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes, it shows how the big channels get all the freebies, I've diddly squat from Slazenger, Petron, Dunlop, Gradidge, Ben Sayers, John Letters, J.B. Halley, George Nicoll, the list goes on...

the pick of the bunch was the wilson 8802 putter (this may even get a thumbs up from you guys playing traditional clubs!)

1706691676052.png

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They probably don't still have the boxes from 1960-something for you to do the unboxing, so no point. 😛

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Appalling waste of time and money.....and this, amongst other things, is one the reason clubs cost so much....
How many thousands worth was in those boxes........and a dozen or more other reviewers have been sent similar..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Appalling waste of time and money.....and this, amongst other things, is one the reason clubs cost so much....
How many thousands worth was in those boxes........and a dozen or more other reviewers have been sent similar..
But it is very cheap method of the manufacturers getting free and widespread publicity so they are being cute. It isn't costing them any money to send this stuff out (other than postage)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But it is very cheap method of the manufacturers getting free and widespread publicity so they are being cute. It isn't costing them any money to send this stuff out (other than postage)
They've got to make the stuff in the first place, package it up - when Stealth was introduced the media pack included a laser, balls, etc etc etc in a nicely presented box.
It all costs a certain amount and it all adds to the cost of the clubs we buy.
It may be cheaper than proper advertising - which, of course, they still do - but its still a cost.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They've got to make the stuff in the first place, package it up - when Stealth was introduced the media pack included a laser, balls, etc etc etc in a nicely presented box.
It all costs a certain amount and it all adds to the cost of the clubs we buy.
It may be cheaper than proper advertising - which, of course, they still do - but its still a cost.
Up to a point I agree but look how many clubs are around in the shops post launch and they are massed produced so these would simply be part of a massive batch made. Of course it adds to our end RRP but for them handing out a few freebies is of no financial consequence

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Little bit off topic but i wonder just how much 'stuff' is handed out by the equipment and apparel manufactures each season

I mean even a lot of club pros are likely to receive clothing+ and its a helluva lot easier for that same pro to flog the members a stealth (or other) if they've actually got one in their own bag they didn't need to pay for

I'd imagine the 'few freebies' per mnfctr is actually many thousands worldwide

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched a 'break 95' vid today (& he didn't) the bloke's got great enthusiasm & passion, just makes the same mistakes most of us went through at that level

Thought it would be good content for someone like Rick Shiels to team up for a Before/After vid to see what improvement they could get playing the same course say 4 weeks apart (with tuition etc in-between obviously)

Not sure many of these golf pros do lesson videos anymore as the money is in big name rounds (courses or company) or promoting (sorry, reviewing) new release clubs.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Watching rick shiels latest 10 under challenge against garcia

No spoilers they're only at the turn, just bumping this thread back to page 1 for later....

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Rick is caught in a twilight zone of neither being an amateur, and so any standard of golf for youtube bants golf goes if the entertainment element is good enough, yet while being a pro, not really being able to play golf to a level audiences associate and expect with even a non elite pro.

Last edited: