YouTubers.

RichA

Visit site
His long interviews with the likes of Faldo or BdC are excellent.
But too many are increasingly waffle about their weekend pints, a takeaway with the wife, taking the kids somewhere, or driving around Manchester for a charge point. I have my own trivial life for that sort of thing. They also have too much chat about upcoming 'content' and what they might do for another show. Its a bit too navel gazing, and 'making of' a golf podcast.
He has become too dilute of proper golf talk. And does seem to think people are interested in the mundanities of his life.
It seems to be a natural law of TV and film that even the best comedies, dramas and documentaries eventually become soap. I guess it's the same with YouTube - once you've covered all the facts and all the jokes you're just talking about life.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It seems to be a natural law of TV and film that even the best comedies, dramas and documentaries eventually become soap. I guess it's the same with YouTube - once you've covered all the facts and all the jokes you're just talking about life.
Maybe thats it. You get the overriding feeling that you clicked the wrong link and are listening to a behind-the-scenes making-of a podcast about golf, rather than an actual golf podcast.

4LEX

Visit site
Rick Shiels is a sneaky git.

Played all the top Good Good guys the first or second day full day after they arrived, on a course they hardly knew, whilst jet lagged and still got destroyed over 9 holes. A few of them even played with new clubs as theirs went missing on the flight over.

I actually think Gaz from Geordie Shore would beat Rick these days :unsure:

A YouTube Major would be a decent idea, played in Dubai after the Desert Classic?

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Played all the top Good Good guys the first or second day full day after they arrived, on a course they hardly knew, whilst jet lagged and still got destroyed over 9 holes. A few of them even played with new clubs as theirs went missing on the flight over.

A YouTube Major would be a decent idea, played in Dubai after the Desert Classic?
Rick really doesn’t look very good at golf.
Obviously better than me,but he hits some REALLY bad shots.
Done well for himself tho ?‍♂️

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Gaz did a vlog fom our course, break 80, not the bank. He did comment how tough it was - but he played some sensible shots and scored fairly well - Shiels would definitely struggle round there, the way he sprays it about and he seems a bit obsessed with hitting 'driver' everywhere.

Actually think Gaz has turned himself into a decent golfer.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Gaz did a vlog fom our course, break 80, not the bank. He did comment how tough it was - but he played some sensible shots and scored fairly well - Shiels would definitely struggle round there, the way he sprays it about and he seems a bit obsessed with hitting 'driver' everywhere.

How come when Shiels (and other YouTubers) test new drivers on the simulator they hardly miss a fairway.
Put them on the course & they’re spraying it all over?

4LEX

Visit site
Rick really doesn’t look very good at golf.
Obviously better than me,but he hits some REALLY bad shots.
Done well for himself tho ?‍♂️

Yep in a weird way I think he realises he gets more respect and hits for playing bad and being more relatable. Huge respect for him starting from nothing and using YouTube to build his coaching up and evolving from there. I remember watching his club reviews back in the day before he had a beard! He needs to focus on his golf for a year as he's got in the locker, just needs to work on his wedges and stop trying to hit everything at 110%.

4LEX

Visit site

Gaz is actually good value, although can get a bit carried away as he's so passionate about it. I've met him a few times from when I was at Durham during the peak of Geordie Shore. Nice guy and would love to appear on his channel when my game is in better shape :ROFLMAO: I'd get done by Rick Shiels at the moment.

The +6 player on his current video is some player. Love the videos with Dan Gavins too. It shows how good he is but also the difference between him and the real elite.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
How come when Shiels (and other YouTubers) test new drivers on the simulator they hardly miss a fairway.

Partly editing and partly due to the fact they'll have hit 20plus drives before the cameras are turned on so they're in the groove with it.

I've watched most of Rick's good good matches and he is constantly pulling and hooking his irons. With the facilities at jcb, the fact he's a teaching professional, and all the camera equipment he must own you'd think he could have just spent half an hour at the range breaking down his swing and correcting it?

Yours truly,

Man who has been pulling and hooking his irons all year ?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Partly editing and partly due to the fact they'll have hit 20plus drives before the cameras are turned on so they're in the groove with it.

I've watched most of Rick's good good matches and he is constantly pulling and hooking his irons. With the facilities at jcb, the fact he's a teaching professional, and all the camera equipment he must own you'd think he could have just spent half an hour at the range breaking down his swing and correcting it?

Yours truly,

Man who has been pulling and hooking his irons all year ?
Yeah I noticed he hooked a lot of his irons.
Maybe it was a macho thing try to hit the same club as some of the Good God guys.
He also turned a bit American when playing wit them ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed! He even had borderline yips with chipping on some of the break 75 vids. Would estimate him at about 5 handicap if I didn't know he was a pro.

Yeah I noticed he hooked a lot of his irons.
Maybe it was a macho thing try to hit the same club as some of the Good God guys.
He also turned a bit American when playing wit them ?
He has been hooking it, but I remember him mentioning that Faldo told him his grip was too weak and he worked on strengthening it, so maybe that's the cause, who knows.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I find myself watching more You Tube golf in the winter months, was watching a lot of Dan Hendrikesn but have zoned out a little - not sure why - maybe the format is a bit repetetive, but I think as a group they have the most endearing qualities, plus they have some great golfers on the channel.
The match between Lester and Jordan is well worth watching. They all seem good guys on the channel, and the golf is of a decent quality. Must admit watching chompers play is not my thing.:eek:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The match between Lester and Jordan is well worth watching. They all seem good guys on the channel, and the golf is of a decent quality. Must admit watching chompers play is not my thing.:eek:

Jordan played some quality golf in those vids, in tough conditions as well. Apart from being a Leeds fan, he’s a sound lad - and personally feel he should be in front of the camera more often.

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Shiels (and others) are not successful on YouTube because they're good at golf, they're successful because they're good at YouTube. If you want great golf, watch Rory or DJ. Shiels' strength is he's personable and makes interesting content. It really doesn't matter if he's better or worse than another YT golfer; they're not competing to be the best golfer, they're competing to have the most subscribers.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shiels (and others) are not successful on YouTube because they're good at golf, they're successful because they're good at YouTube. If you want great golf, watch Rory or DJ. Shiels' strength is he's personable and makes interesting content. It really doesn't matter if he's better or worse than another YT golfer; they're not competing to be the best golfer, they're competing to have the most subscribers.
You're right, but he's also meant to be a teaching pro and does a lot of videos still giving lessons effectively - so you'd want him to be pretty good to give them credibility.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
You're right, but he's also meant to be a teaching pro and does a lot of videos still giving lessons effectively - so you'd want him to be pretty good to give them credibility.
I just watched a bit of a video where he gives Erik Anders Lang a lesson (video was published in August) and the blurb for the video says Rick doesn't give private lessons anymore and hasn't done for a fair while.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just watched a bit of a video where he gives Erik Anders Lang a lesson (video was published in August) and the blurb for the video says Rick doesn't give private lessons anymore and hasn't done for a fair while.
He talked about it on his podcast, he very Buisness with videos and new content all time it's hard to keep up the diary

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
He isn't a teaching pro any more but, even if he was, he is "pretty good"! Certainly better than most players.
A swing coach is good at analysing and communicating. The pros all have coaches but they're not looking for someone who is a better player than they are. They're looking for someone that understands the mechanics of a golf swing and can identify and fix weaknesses.