Youtube Golf

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Hi all,

Bored in lockdown - classic.

Any channels, ideally where you can watch actual golf matches etc, that you recommend? In the last lockdown I abused golf videos on youtube.. I have no more Rick Sheils or Peter Finch to watch! Ive also listened to the podcast in full and honestly, just bored of watching the same people now.

Im not after a golf coach and coaching tips, just some fun golf to watch!

Other channels I sub to:
GM Golf
Good Good
Tubes and Ange Golf Life
Matt Fryer
Andy Carter
Bad golf

Suggestions below if you have any!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Tough time for UK golf channels ahead I think. A combination of the winter and lockdown means many who publish course vlogs will soon run out of material. It will be a challenge for them to keep publishing content that appeals in my opinion.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Dan Hendriksen's have been pretty good lately, he has a good group of guys regularly playing with him.
Dan Hendriksen's have been pretty good lately, he has a good group of guys regularly playing with him.

(But he does have an annoying habit where he repeats himself, usually when about to play a shot so I assume it's a nervous tic of some sort.)

I also like some of Alex Etches stuff, although his cheesy sense of humour can be overdone some times.
This was a good one.

Reactions: Doh
D

Deleted member 25172

Alex Evans - Chronicles of a not yet champion golfer. He should have many many more subscribers. That he's best mates with Paul Waring and having him on the channel frequently makes it even better as Paul seem to be a really nice guy as well.

Oh, the R&A have published loads of The Open summary videos for each year. Easy watch.

I used to watch Erik Anders Lang before, but he just seem like pompous twit to me now for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
One of my personal favourites is James Whiltshire. Doesn't tend to get mentioned much on here, if at all. I personally love his content but depends what you want to watch. He's up to over 50k subs now.

For those who haven't seen his channel before he's basically a young lad, mid to late 20s I think, who's trying to make it as a Pro. Now I know that sounds cringe and has been done to death but his videos are genuinely very funny. Some of them can be a tad serious but if you're a young person yourself hoping to go as far as you can in the game then it shows what sort of things you should be doing. He does lot of course vlogs that are always fun to watch - lots of Micky taking etc but also some very very good golf to learn from.

His content is getting better and better too. Last year he started to include a chap called Steve Surry who is a proper Tour Pro, plays on ET events in South Africa. Steve is a great bloke and shares so much good advice with James. Beginning of this year James actually went to South Africa with him to caddy for him on the South African swing and he documented all of it including playing practice rounds with other ET Pros etc. Highly highly recommended if you haven't seen him before.

D

Deleted member 25172

One of my personal favourites is James Whiltshire. Doesn't tend to get mentioned much on here, if at all. I personally love his content but depends what you want to watch. He's up to over 50k subs now.

For those who haven't seen his channel before he's basically a young lad, mid to late 20s I think, who's trying to make it as a Pro. Now I know that sounds cringe and has been done to death but his videos are genuinely very funny. Some of them can be a tad serious but if you're a young person yourself hoping to go as far as you can in the game then it shows what sort of things you should be doing. He does lot of course vlogs that are always fun to watch - lots of Micky taking etc but also some very very good golf to learn from.

His content is getting better and better too. Last year he started to include a chap called Steve Surry who is a proper Tour Pro, plays on ET events in South Africa. Steve is a great bloke and shares so much good advice with James. Beginning of this year James actually went to South Africa with him to caddy for him on the South African swing and he documented all of it including playing practice rounds with other ET Pros etc. Highly highly recommended if you haven't seen him before.

I watch a fair few of his as well from time to time. Have to say that his productions are getting really good and it's an easy watch. He will however never become a pro. Has he ever even shot under par?

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I watch a fair few of his as well from time to time. Have to say that his productions are getting really good and it's an easy watch. He will however never become a pro. Has he ever even shot under par?

Agreed. It's very simply put together a lot of the time but very cool. He knows the angles to capture some great ball flights. And his ball striking is very very good. The videos he does at the range, although boring after a while, show how good of a ball striker he is.

I think he's broke par a few times actually, one was in a Jemega Tour event I think, I'm sure he shot 2 under in one of the rounds. But no I agree with you, I don't think he'll make it as a proper Tour Pro. I think he probably could carry on playing on the small feeder Tours like he has been doing and maybe even get onto the EuroPro (which is what his goal is) but I couldn't see him going any higher than that. Who am I to judge though. Can't fault his dedication and the videos he's making along the way for YouTube are class in my opinion.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Coaching wise, I like Alex Elliott and Matt Fryer. Alex Elliott's videos with Natalie doing the golf stretching exercises have been good too. Course vlog wise NLU have got it nailed down. Finch just talks weirdly now, like he's presenting an American TV show.

Whilst working at home I've also listened to a few podcasts. This Rick Shiels podcast is alright, but he's becoming more and more up himself. I just find his attempt at humour quite arrogant. The Open podcasts were really good and the podcast that Kit Alexander and John Morgan (can't remember the name) were also.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find the average golfer very good, some great on course stuff and did a great series on Scotland's lesser known courses, he's brutally honest too. Peter Finch is virtually unwatchable, he's like a bad parody of a YouTube golfer. Rick Shiels is going the same way I think. Eric Anders Lang does some great content but do think he has become a little up himself, his production values are great though and shows a very different side to golf all around the world.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I follow a few, some are better than others, some are already on your list as well.

Bad Golf - love these two but they don't post very often.
Golf Mates - decent if you want to see little matches played as you mentioned in the OP.
Golf Sidekick - he is brilliant, mainly posts vlogs of his rounds while talking you through his thought process for course management.
James Robinson Golf - mainly flicks between course vlogs and indoor testing of new clubs that have come out - he can be quite funny, maybe the voice grates after a while. He posts every day though so plenty of content.
Tubes & Ange Golf Life - you already listed them but I love his rounds with some of the current and ex footballers. Some are hilarious.
Rick Shiels you already know about obviously.
I follow the Average Golfer but I actually find him quite boring and don't watch him often. Might unsubscribe.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I find the average golfer very samey.
His production quality is excellent but I believe that's done by his partner.
Often he seems more interested in the arty pictures rather than the content.

And I can't bear anyone who starts their vlog making or drinking coffee, I'm not interested in your coffee!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find the average golfer very samey.
His production quality is excellent but I believe that's done by his partner.
Often he seems more interested in the arty pictures rather than the content.

And I can't bear anyone who starts their vlog making or drinking coffee, I'm not interested in your coffee!
I think he's just a bit dull. He could try and make the vids a bit more lively. Might be just his monotonous voice, I don't know.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For some good retro golf I've been watching stuff on 'Back n the day' and 'Conrad Nagel' channels. Plus the USGA channel has some good US Open stuff.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Another one who enjoys the James Wiltshire channel although I don't watch a lot of his technical content as its a bit too in depth for me. I do enjoy his course vlogs and the production has got far better over time thanks to Flowers.

I do watch all the Rick Shiels vids out of habit mainly but I'm getting a bit bored of his content, still enjoy the club reviews though. I also listen to his podcast but find that Guy really grates on me for some reason. Having said that, I accidentally slowed the podcast down to 0.5x speed the other day and it for some reason Guy, with that accent and that voice sounds absolute hilarious.

I enjoy Peter Finch's videos but mainly his QFTO series where you get to see more of the real person and see some of the mental side a bit more. I've found that his on course vlogs have got more and more cringeworthy recently. As others have said, he's become a bit of a parody. Even Rick Shiels has started calling him out on it for going all Jeremy Clarkson-esque.

Also enjoy the Average Golfer content as, well, an average golfer I find his reviews a bit more relatable.

Golf mates can be cringe but there is some gold in there occasionally.

James Robinson is becoming pretty annoying as well, just seems pretty up himself.

I think a lot of them that I like ultimately seem like nice lads and who I could enjoy a round and, crucially, a pint with after.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Padraig Harrington has just started a channel with 5 or 6 very good videos, I look forward to more