Who would win a YouTube 18 Hole Challenge ?

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We all have our favourites when it comes to 'YouTube' coaches, and enjoy watching their course vlogs, reviews and tips.

But who would you bet on to win an 18 hole strokeplay challenge ?

To narrow it down, lets stipulate UK based e.g

Rick Shiels
Peter Finch
Mark Crossfield
Steve Buzza
Coach Lockey
James Pickard
Buzza
The Me & my Golf guys

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd be backing Finchy but think either Crossfield or Pickard would win.
If Kevin Harper was in that list, he would have my money all day

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rick or Pete should win given the amount they've been practicing, but I wouldn't look past Steve Buzza. If he can get the putter going he can be deadly. The eagle he made on the last big Crossfield VLog was one of the best performances on a hole by any Youtuber. Spectacular eagle on a ridiculously difficult Par 5. Crossfield and Lockey wouldn't be anywhere near. They've been playing very ordinary golf recently. They used to be actually good, particularly Crossfield, but not any more, they don't play or practice often enough.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
How about add in any decent 1 or 2 handicapper? they'd win hands down.

these guys talk a good game.... not much else

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I reckon meandmygolf Andy is a decent bet. Him or shiels. A while back I would have said Finch, but his quest for 350 seems to have messed him up. He achieved his goal but now seems to be quite crooked on the course and not that much longer in real life than Rick.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
We all have our favourites when it comes to 'YouTube' coaches, and enjoy watching their course vlogs, reviews and tips.

But who would you bet on to win an 18 hole strokeplay challenge ?

To narrow it down, lets stipulate UK based e.g

Rick Shiels
Peter Finch
Mark Crossfield
Steve Buzza
Coach Lockey
James Pickard
Buzza
The Me & my Golf guys

Did you mean to put in Andy Carter instead of the second Buzza? If so then I'll have a pound on him.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we can rule Lockey out of winning.

Piers from Me & My Golf can't putt, looks a bit yippy so I would rule him out.

Andy Carter hasn't played well in any of the tournaments Rick and Pete have played so I wouldn't be sure in him at the moment.

Pickard's a really good player, but will lose a ball or throw his back out.

Crossfield is steady but on a long, wide course where his accuracy wouldn't give him the advantage he would struggle I think.

Buzza is capable of excellence but also can implode quite easily and his putting is still a worry at times.

Rick is player that doesn't have a massively strong point to his game, but does have a weakness, his natural shot shape is a hook and he really has to work hard to combat it.

Pete's long drive quest screwed him over, if/when he gets his accuracy back he is the best player, short game can be a bit iffy at times but he's solid.

Andy from Me & My Golf looks to be a very good player, I don't really watch enough of their videos to pass a fair judgement on him but he looks to have game

It would depend on the course for me as well, a wide linksy/heathland venue and I would back Buzza or Pete

A tight parkland and I would go for Pickard or Finch

So overall, Finch gets my vote

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd go Rick at the moment. He seems to be getting his act together.

I think Finchy seems to be suffering from nerves more than anything. The last few competitive rounds have got off to really bad starts but when he gets his act together he plays really well.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rick is player that doesn't have a massively strong point to his game, but does have a weakness, his natural shot shape is a hook and he really has to work hard to combat it.

Pete's long drive quest screwed him over, if/when he gets his accuracy back he is the best player, short game can be a bit iffy at times but he's solid.

I wouldn't agree with the points about Rick TBH. Maybe 4 months ago, but not anymore. Rick now fades the ball, and fades it very well. His putting is his main issue. Hit a ridiculous 94% GIR at Bolton Old Links and shot +3 with 2.11 putts per hole.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't agree with the points about Rick TBH. Maybe 4 months ago, but not anymore. Rick now fades the ball, and fades it very well. His putting is his main issue. Hit a ridiculous 94% GIR at Bolton Old Links and shot +3 with 2.11 putts per hole.

You make a good point, I made mine poorly, he's in a constant battle with his swing was my point, and that must make it hard to find consistency, also with his poor putting on a bad round he has nothing to save him really

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is Lockey actually any good with his driver?
In the vlogs I've seen he looks to be all over the place.

He seems to have real issues, I remember seeing his distance stats and he used to hit his old 4 wood nearly just as far as the driver, but he can catch one and send it out there, it must be a practice issue

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we can rule Lockey out of winning.

Piers from Me & My Golf can't putt, looks a bit yippy so I would rule him out.

Andy Carter hasn't played well in any of the tournaments Rick and Pete have played so I wouldn't be sure in him at the moment.

Pickard's a really good player, but will lose a ball or throw his back out.

Crossfield is steady but on a long, wide course where his accuracy wouldn't give him the advantage he would struggle I think.

Buzza is capable of excellence but also can implode quite easily and his putting is still a worry at times.

Andy from Me & My Golf looks to be a very good player, I don't really watch enough of their videos to pass a fair judgement on him but he looks to have game

It would depend on the course for me as well, a wide linksy/heathland venue and I would back Buzza or Pete

A tight parkland and I would go for Pickard or Finch

So overall, Finch gets my vote
I'm glad you typed this up as it's saved me from doing as its word for word exactly how I think. Apart from I'm more swayed towards Pickard as the overall winner but not by much.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Well as I witnessed both Rick & Peters game first hand recently I'd say Peter would shade it currently, especially as Peter and I won our matchplay comp against Rick & Paul :D But, some of the comments about Rick's & Peter's game above couldn't be further from the facts.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think many of them are all that great at playing golf, they all have some severe issues and there are better elite amateurs around that can outplay them all.

Kevin Harper would be the one I'd back in that bunch though. He's the only one that looks consistently competitive.