Do golf coaches really have revolutionary views on how the swing works?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Care to lay them out bob?

The 5 laws describes the 5 things that directly affect the ball
In no special order...
Speed
Angle of attack
Swing path
Clubface direction at impact
Hitting the sweet spot of the clubface.

So for example, if you have to aim right to get a neutral swingpath, then that's fine.
The swingpath is more important than the aim.

This old boy is aiming at the big tree in the distance.
Are his feet aiming straight? Nope.
If the ball goes straight, should he change the feet? Nope

Which is why sometimes it's not good for a golfer to see his/her swing.
They see the aim is to the right so fix it which throws the swing path off line....bad idea.
Or if your grip is strong but you still hit the ball straight. Don't fix it.
Don't change something because it looks wrong, it could be balancing out something else.

Yes, we'd prefer everything to be perfect, good aim, neutral grip, good ball position etc but they are not laws.
Focus on getting the laws right, that's the important stuff

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Care to lay them out bob?

I do agree a lot with the op’s statement about a single swing, but it does not take into account potential limits of each player. This could be flexibility, previous injuries etc etc. o think what dictates a good pro is understanding your past experience, your current situation, and where you want to be.

The best coach I’ve had understood my 20 years of bad habits, acknowledged I was an over thinker and was aware of my previous injuries. Everything he process with with limited info and was solely in feel. He refused to explain why somethings happened etc and I played my best golf with him.

He relocated and I started having lessons with my club pro, he’s only interest was for me to get into all the perfect positions despite my knee injury, I could play great golf for 7 holes, ok for 2 holes, walk off after 9 holes as I couldn’t walk.

What I'm talking about is more swing ideologies that you see from those that post online for a general and mass audience, rather than a local pro that you and I might have lessons with. I have no clue as to the swing theories of the people that I have lessons from, they are dealing with my actual swing and the flaws that come with it and so the focus is on a specific issue rather than a theory on how the swing works and the necessary feelings.

I'm not saying all good swings look the same, they don't, but there are certain things that seem to be universal among the guys that put their content out online. I'd boil it down to this, obviously very generalised:

Backswing - doesn't matter, but does need a decent turn and a lot like a deep right hip these days (Gankas, Scheinblum in particular). If you have a very wild /unusual backswing, it makes what follows harder
Transition - reconnection of arms and body, shallowing of plane inc strengthening of clubface using left wrist to get into a great delivery position
Turn through driving with left leg (like a pushing up / jumping move)

Gankas, Scheinblum, Ryan, Hutt, all describe the same moves but in different ways (some in very different ways), but there is no fundamental difference in their view on the moves and what powers the swing.

That's what I see when I watch their content anyway, and that means as a consumer of their content and someone that likes to understand my swing, there's no harm in cherry picking bits from all of them that work for me. As opposed to the view I see elsewhere, where some seem to call themselves disciples of a particular approach and go religiously with that, until it doesn't work for them and they switch to something else that they misinterpret as being wildly different - it's not, it's the same thing with the feelings described in a different way.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most of the best golfers I know have never had a lesson and quite a lot of the worst had lots. You can get your head full of too many thoughts if you're not careful, this can also take away your natural instincts as well. Everyone knows the correct sequence to throw a golf ball correctly and those same instincts would help your golf swing if you don't start confusing yourself with swing thoughts.

Get yourself into a good static impact position, keep repeating it and save it into your muscle memory, then work out how to get back to it at impact.