Your best golfing experience ?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following on from TonyN's thread re personal best, what is your best golfing experience?

Mine has to be the day I won at Wentworth on the West Course

I used to play with a chap called Jim who belonged to a society who play there every year in late Feb and last year 2007 Jim invited me and 2 others to make up a 4 ball , didn't need a second to think about it :).

The forecast was horrendous and we arrived at 7.30 for breakfast in a tremendous thunderstorm including hail so the prognosis was not looking good.

We had a superb breakfast in the Ryder Cup/Curtis Cup room and were able to explore the clubhouse and the golfing memorabilia before heading to the range to warm up as the clouds rolled away to reveal a watery sun, looking good.

Our 4 ball teed off and it was soon apparent that the sun was not going to last and we were going to suffer the heavy showers that had been forecast but thankfully the thunder had rolled away.

The conditions underfoot were soggy to say the least and after the last 4 ball teed off the course was closed so we had it to ourselves.

The showers duly came and yes we got drenched and the greens got wetter and wetter and casual water was everywhere but it didn't matter as we were playing one of the most famous courses in golf.

Highlights for me were apart from the first parring every par 5 and winning the longest drive on the 12th oh and yes being top guest with..............26 stableford points........think the weather played a small part in that ;) ;)

Hot showers soon put us right and then a sumptuous 3 course meal with fine wine, alas just the one glass as driving back to Shropshire.

It was a fantastic day even the weather couldn't spoil it for me or my friends and a big big thank you to Jim for inviting me.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a nice day. Not sure what mine would be, but I do like winning things. And holes in one. And sun, definately sun.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sun makes a huge difference. Winning is great but you can have a fantastic day on the course playing like a twit when the sun is shining and there's a great course in front of you.

A couple of my most memorable golfing experiences have been wins in big comps but the best have been;-

1. 2 rounds at the Gary Player Country Club, Sun City. 100 degree heat, no wind, lush fairways, a superb course and fantastic playing parters. I got no less enjoyment out of the round of 87 than I did out of the previous round of 75.

2. 80 degrees (and an 87) at the Ailsa Course, Turnberry playing on my own. Wow, the views. Scored a 76 at the Kintyre Course the next day but because of the weather the previous day won hands down.

3. Sunny summer evening games at Nairn Golf Club. Coming down the last just as the sun sets over the Moray Firth. Simply breathtaking.

Aw now I'm getting all sentimental. I'm off before I start to bubble!

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
One of the most memorable golf days was in 1996, playing 36 holes at Willingdon GC, Eastbourne on a Society day. I'd only been playing for about 6 months and this was the first time out on a 'proper' course.

The day started with bacon sandwiches followed by golf, lunch, more golf, dinner and prize-giving. Naturally enough the weather was great, shorts and polos all round; plenty of banter, too, as you'd expect. I don't remember scoring particularly well but somehow it didn't matter.

Most of the Society lived locally so we were all able to enjoy a few drinks. I was at the course for 7.30am and didn't leave until 1am the next day.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been so fortunate I have loads of great memories of rounds and trips etc.

That is the legacy of this fantastic game I will always have these memories of shared times.

My fondest is my first visit to one of the great heathland courses,Hankley Common.

I had just joined my first club (Gatton Manor) and got my first handicap, my teacher who had become a pal took me to Hankley.

What a place,the feel of the heathland under your feet,trying to hack it out of the heather,the sun coming down as we were finishing,what a day.

He still doesnt understand what a profound effect it had on me as he grew up on Worplesdon and was assistant at West Hill but it still stirs me.

Happy_Gilmore

Club Champion
Visit site
A few that stick in my mind would be....

My first trip round Carnoustie...

Playing the European Club in Wicklow in Summer 2002 the day after Tiger hit the course record 66......I was 66 for 9 holes!

Spending the best golfing weekend of my life at the K Club in Sepetember 2006, DC's put on 17 in the rain still gives me shivers...roll on Valhalla!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
My fondest is my first visit to one of the great heathland courses,Hankley Common.

I had just joined my first club (Gatton Manor) and got my first handicap, my teacher who had become a pal took me to Hankley.

Hankley.....pretty impressive compared to Gatton Manor (or most actually, thinking about it :) ).

I pretty much learned to play around Gatton.....made my first birdie there. There's a really distinctive hole there (could it be the 5th?) with the green set to the left and low down with ditches?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would probably be the first time I drove a par 4. Not sure which one it was after all this time, but it would have been either the 3rd, 5th or 9th at Wimbledon Common (probably the 5th). Thought I was a proper golfer especially as I'm sure I made the birdie

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
quite a few but in terms of courses played it would either have to be the nicklaus course at carden park, cheshire or the belfry, was lucky that sun was shining both times.
in terms of playing, would have to be the first time i shot under par gross.