Best golf snacks

sjw

Visit site
Playing at the weekend I found that yet again my back nine let me down. +9 thru 9 which could have been much lower, but finished +25 with most of them coming on holes 14-17. Noticed around that time that I was really hungry - teed off at 10.30 having only had a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

I know that people take bananas round, and I've heard that jelly babies are really good for energy. Does anyone else have any good recommendations?

babylonsinger

Visit site
I usually carry a banana and a flapjack in the bag. Not always guaranteed to remember to eat them though!

Was once told that it's important to eat before you feel like you need to as that generally means you've left it a little late and energy levels will dip

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I usually carry a banana and a flapjack in the bag. Not always guaranteed to remember to eat them though!

Was once told that it's important to eat before you feel like you need to as that generally means you've left it a little late and energy levels will dip
This is important. Once you feel hungry or thirsty it’s too late.

For energy on the back 9 you need to be eating something on hole 6. Then at the turn.

You ideally want food that is going to release energy quickly. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are great. So are cereal/energy bars/flapjack.

Also stay hydrated, being a bit dehydrated can cause a big dip in concentration.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Drinking before your thirsty is one of the great myths in sport there is no apparent need, just makes you pee more.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Pork pie and rum coming off the 9th green.
If pushed, I'll settle for a scotch egg and a bottle of IPA.

Given a 'thumbs up ' on the basis this isn't a pork & rum pie but is as written, a pie and a rum (y) (reserve the right to remove the like if it isn't ;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The single biggest difference I made to feel stronger in the latter stages of a round (which got pretty bad) was to lose weight and get fitter. Made an unreal difference to playing the final 5/6 holes

I don't typically eat anything on the course and more often than not the drink will be cider

sjw

Visit site
The single biggest difference I made to feel stronger in the latter stages of a round (which got pretty bad) was to lose weight and get fitter. Made an unreal difference to playing the final 5/6 holes

I don't typically eat anything on the course and more often than not the drink will be cider
I'm 28 and about 72kg, it's not a weight issue! Strength though, almost definitely.

Something like the grenade bars would be good - something I can buy once and it last a few rounds/keep without going off. I'll definitely forget if I have to buy it every week!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm 28 and about 72kg, it's not a weight issue! Strength though, almost definitely.

Something like the grenade bars would be good - something I can buy once and it last a few rounds/keep without going off. I'll definitely forget if I have to buy it every week!

Yeah your situation doesn't sound like weight. I had to lose 30kg to get down to 72kg & I wasn't even walking but using a buggy & was still knackered after 14 holes :oops:

Teebs

Visit site
Slow release stuff is better, you don't want anything too sugary that might spike.

Peanut Butter / nuts / low sugar protein bars are ideal. Sensible breakfast (I always have porridge) and water sees me through.
Home made Flapjacks are good as you can control the ingredients. My pro shop sells those huge chocolate covered Flapjacks and they're just full of hydrogenated rubbish.

sjw

Visit site
Slow release stuff is better, you don't want anything too sugary that might spike.

Peanut Butter / nuts / low sugar protein bars are ideal. Sensible breakfast (I always have porridge) and water sees me through.
Home made Flapjacks are good as you can control the ingredients. My pro shop sells those huge chocolate covered Flapjacks and they're just full of hydrogenated rubbish.
Second mention for flapjacks - guess I better learn to bake!

Appreciate everyone's responses, keep them coming!

Albo

Visit site
As an aside, what do you view as the holes you can score on at your course? Is the back 9 more difficult or about the same as the front 9? It may be that you’re playing a tough stretch of holes and scoring badly on those, they just happen to be in the back 9??
As for the answer to the question, something like breakfast bars cereal bars are usually good, when I go away and we are playing 36 in a day I always take a bunch of those

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Starting the day off with a bowl of cereal probably isn’t the best idea.

Omelette in a wrap with some mushrooms, peppers and maybe a slice of bacon would mean the food requirement on course is lessened.
Couple of bananas in the bag to see you through the round. (y)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Starting the day off with a bowl of cereal probably isn’t the best idea.

Omelette in a wrap with some mushrooms, peppers and maybe a slice of bacon would mean the food requirement on course is lessened.
Couple of bananas in the bag to see you through the round. (y)

Ah c’mon now that’s two things that are each meant to have their own fillings, you can’t just shove one inside the other and call it food… that’s like… well I dunno but its weird ……. Wait it’s like putting a pillow-case inside a duvet-cover... just what’s the point!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Ah c’mon now that’s two things that are each meant to have their own fillings, you can’t just shove one inside the other and call it food… that’s like… well I dunno but its weird ……. Wait it’s like putting a pillow-case inside a duvet-cover... just what’s the point!
😂

Omelette in a wrap is not only divine, it’s a superfood. Honestly, give it a go. 👍

RichA

Visit site
Or conversely make a snack out of two fillings. Maybe encase some peanut butter inside chocolate spread, but making that might be a bit of a marathon. 🤭 (snicker emoji).