You are too slow!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The strange thing about slow play is that some of it's biggest supporters are also the worst offenders.
Years ago my club had a tightening up of slow play medal rules. A group of three including the Secretary and Captain were given two slow play warnings.
They did not like it and claimed they were set up as an example [they were not].

Golfnut1957

Visit site
So, if you have the right to potter round at whatever snails pace you wish. Would you have a problem with people who want to play faster doing just that, and leaving you behind?
You have asked him that twice in this thread and while he has replied to plenty of other posts he has ignored yours, presumably because he doesn't have the answer, who knows?

If our fourball starts to lose ground on the group in front I will inform the two concerned (always the same two) but before now I have done exactly what you suggest and played on ahead, worked each time.

RichA

Visit site
You have asked him that twice in this thread and while he has replied to plenty of other posts he has ignored yours, presumably because he doesn't have the answer, who knows?
Pejorative language ("potter round at whatever snails pace you wish") to describe people who maybe take 20 minutes longer than you to play a round of golf doesn't exactly invite reasonable conversation. Maybe he just can't be bothered to get dragged into the argument.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Can’t say I’m surprised. I didn’t expect an answer because it will contradict his point that people should be allowed to play at whatever pace they choose.

D

Deleted member 15344

If our fourball starts to lose ground on the group in front I will inform the two concerned (always the same two) but before now I have done exactly what you suggest and played on ahead, worked each time.
He has ignored a few things. He tried to dismiss a “myth” which turned out to be factually correct

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
This for one thing, and set your audible timer on your phone, make sure he hear's the beeping when time is up, and get him to move on.

The thing with the glove does my tits in, we have a player at ours who does the same, put your bloody glove on when you've finished putting (indeed why even take it off you posing twonk)
It's not posing it's habit. I do this....I didn't realise it's a problem, but I do now. I'll try to stop doing this.?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
As with other things, it's all about the course. Three of us playing a social round and not hanging around at ours will struggle to do so in less than 3:30.
My mate often plays a "fitness round" on his own early in the morning and can get around in just under 2 hours. He's speed-walking or jogging between shots.

Personally, I find the people who expect everyone else to accommodate their rapid, joyless slog around the course because they've got somewhere else to be 3 hours after their tee time at least as irritating as the slow players.
There is a happy medium. It's supposed to be recreation.

I though you were going to say fun at the end there. Now that would have opened a gate....lol

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Pejorative language ("potter round at whatever snails pace you wish") to describe people who maybe take 20 minutes longer than you to play a round of golf doesn't exactly invite reasonable conversation. Maybe he just can't be bothered to get dragged into the argument.

Do you live in a parallel universe?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Here we go, there’s always one in every thread. 85 minutes ?

Bet you hit all your drives over 350 yards too eh?

Either that or you are playing pitch and putt or a mickey mouse course

He forgot to say it was 85 minutes for 9 holes ?

Springveldt

Visit site
If I was playing a round and it's was going to take 4hrs I'd be walking off at 13. A 3 ball should get round in 3.15-3.20. I've been round in 85 mins by myself and 2 hrs as a 2 ball.
Is that 9 holes?

My course isn't long (6300 yards), tee boxes are next to most greens and is fairly flat. My Garmin would say I was walking 6.3 miles on an average round. If you are doing that in 85 minutes then you are either foot to floor in a buggy, galloping between every shot or your watch stopped during that round. Even 2 hours means a walking pace of just over 3mph (which is around average for a man) without stopping, never mind hitting shots, looking for balls, getting ready at the next tee etc.

Setting a time on how long it takes is very course dependent. At ours when it was 3 balls we'd average around 3:25 in a Saturday morning comp and now it's 4 balls it's around 3:45. My mate plays at a course nearby and his 3 balls regularly takes 4 hours and it seems like that's the accepted pace there.

On topic, just mention to the lad that it's ready golf and if you start to fall behind that you need to speed up to make sure you don't lose a hole.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
As with other things, it's all about the course. Three of us playing a social round and not hanging around at ours will struggle to do so in less than 3:30.
My mate often plays a "fitness round" on his own early in the morning and can get around in just under 2 hours. He's speed-walking or jogging between shots.

Personally, I find the people who expect everyone else to accommodate their rapid, joyless slog around the course because they've got somewhere else to be 3 hours after their tee time at least as irritating as the slow players.
There is a happy medium. It's supposed to be recreation.

I agree with your comments about not everyone wanting to play at warp speed but it’s much harder to justify not being ready. If you’re playing partners have just driven, what do you think comes next? Monty talks a lot of sense on this. Have your driver, ball and tee in hand, and glove in situ. I played recently with a couple of fifteen year olds and they drove me nuts.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with your comments about not everyone wanting to play at warp speed but it’s much harder to justify not being ready. If you’re playing partners have just driven, what do you think comes next? Monty talks a lot of sense on this. Have your driver, ball and tee in hand, and glove in situ. I played recently with a couple of fifteen year olds and they drove me nuts.
Same premise when you get to the tube station gates and the person in front of you props their bag up on the barrier to look for their card. What are you doing!? Why wasn't it in your hand already?? :LOL:

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
This^^^

I hate to rush and take all the time a shot needs, especially putting and short game, but there shouldn’t be any need. I’m always ready to play. I begin weighing up my putts whilst others are playing, a 3 ball medal in a like minded group is about 3.30 on our course.

The idea that being ‘fast’ is some kind of virtue is a bit grating. It’s just about not being slow. The aim of the game is get around the course in the fewest strokes not the shortest time.

Last edited:

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
This^^^

I hate to rush and take all the time a shot needs, especially putting and short game, but there shouldn’t be any need. I’m always ready to play. I begin weighing up my putts whilst others are playing, a 3 ball medal in a like minded group is about 3.30 on our course.

The idea that being ‘fast’ is some kind of virtue is a bit grating. It’s just about not being slow. The aim of the game is get around the course in the fewest strokes not the shortest time.

Exactly this ?….the people who don’t get their ball out, or take the head cover off their driver until it’s their turn, also park in the disabled bay in Tesco and leave their dog poo bag hanging from trees. I have zero evidence for this, whilst also knowing that I’m 100% correct in my assumption.

RichA

Visit site
Yep. That's the happy medium that I'm talking about. If you're ready to play then you don't have to rush.