You are too slow!

Swango1980

Visit site
A younger member has taken to rocking up and turning our regular weekly two ball into a three. Usually no problem but his lack of pace adds nearly an hour to the round. He's never ready to play, hits the ball a long way but often into the cabbage.Persists in searching when no prospect of success. Some daft habits like waiting until it's his turn to drive before putting on his glove, scrutinising every shot/putt as though the green jacket is at stake. The regular 1330 roll up which he joins is also grumbling. How do you break the news that he needs to speed up?
Tell him

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If subtle fails, get the following group to offer their condolences to you in the clubhouse. One of you will ask why and the response will be “Well you were that bloody slow we thought someone had died”.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not the most outspoken person in the world and I’ve had this a couple of times. The way I’ve broached it is to look at my watch and say something like ‘jeez, took us 2 hours for the front 9, we need to get a wriggle on’. Probably the wimp’s way of doing it but it made the point. I’ve also said it post round as well ‘4 hours for a social round is a bit mad’.

Finally, another tactic I’ve adopted recently is to just carry on without them. Chap that’s joined us a couple of times keeps talking even when we’ve reached my ball, to the point that I’ve had to just get on with it! I also just try to walk ahead/away from him to avoid getting into a deep conversation. He seems to have got the message now.

That might work, but I think the risk is that if he doesn't realise he's slow, he won't really change his behaviour.

I'm the same as you, I don't like to speak up on these things, but sometimes you have to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This for one thing, and set your audible timer on your phone, make sure he here's the beeping when time is up, and get him to move on.

The thing with the glove does my tits in, we have a player at ours who does the same, put your bloody glove on when you've finished putting (indeed why even take it off you posing twonk)
The glove thing is a bit like the person in front of you in the shop waiting to be told the cost before starting to take out their money or card.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No not to each his own. You have a responsibility to keep up with the group in front
...or let the group waiting behind through. But when there is no-one in front and no-one behind...IMO a 3 ball should be looking at about 3hr 20min for a casual round - 4hrs for a medal/comp round. A two ball should simply accept that they should probably not expect to get round in under 3 hours if a 3rd player joins them. But an hour longer is extreme unless the two ball plays Speed Golf.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
This for one thing, and set your audible timer on your phone, make sure he here's the beeping when time is up, and get him to move on.

The thing with the glove does my tits in, we have a player at ours who does the same, put your bloody glove on when you've finished putting (indeed why even take it off you posing twonk)
I take my glove off for any shot with 8 iron down to putter. It's a completely psychological thing to help me get a better "feel" on the shorter shots. Nothing to do with me posing.
However, I also make sure that the glove is on as I'm walking on to the tee, or I'm taking it off as I'm approaching my ball for the 8 iron shot.
Issue with wearing a glove for all the shots is that after a while in the sun, I end up looking like I've still got a glove on, which I hate.
Back to OP, a quiet, friendly word should suffice. Too often we shy away from those conversations... and then come on here and go for it!.?

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really, I didn't realise a 4 ball had a responsibility to keep up with the 1 ball in front, who is whizzing round in under 2 hours. Learn something new every day ;)
It doesnt. That 'responsibility' line is one pushed by the faster play agitators, and not the universal law they would like to present it.

greenone

Visit site
...or let the group waiting behind through. But when there is no-one in front and no-one behind...IMO a 3 ball should be looking at about 3hr 20min for a casual round - 4hrs for a medal/comp round. A two ball should simply accept that they should probably not expect to get round in under 3 hours if a 3rd player joins them. But an hour longer is extreme unless the two ball plays Speed Golf.
If I was playing a round and it's was going to take 4hrs I'd be walking off at 13. A 3 ball should get round in 3.15-3.20. I've been round in 85 mins by myself and 2 hrs as a 2 ball.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If subtle fails, get the following group to offer their condolences to you in the clubhouse. One of you will ask why and the response will be “Well you were that bloody slow we thought someone had died”.
These sort of hints and tangential comments have no effect. People do not change their pace. Nor is there any strong reason they should I think.
The issue is possession being 9/10s of the law - slow play has the power to dictate the pace of play. It may not be fair, but its the reality. Fast play makes all the noise, Wasp, notices, guidlines, snide comments about those they regard as slow, etc. But the reality is that they cannot really affect change.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had a young guy join us 3 oldies regularly, a new member but he was slow at everything.
We sorted him out by leaning against each other pretending we had fallen asleep, making snoring/whistling noises.
He asked am I really that slow, YES was the triple reply.
That broke the ice on the subject, after that we gave him some handy tips.

RichA

Visit site
As with other things, it's all about the course. Three of us playing a social round and not hanging around at ours will struggle to do so in less than 3:30.
My mate often plays a "fitness round" on his own early in the morning and can get around in just under 2 hours. He's speed-walking or jogging between shots.

Personally, I find the people who expect everyone else to accommodate their rapid, joyless slog around the course because they've got somewhere else to be 3 hours after their tee time at least as irritating as the slow players.
There is a happy medium. It's supposed to be recreation.

D

Deleted member 15344

Many clubs will have their own pace of play policy that members are required to adhere to and it will include the R&A Ready Golf

https://www.randa.org/pace-of-play-manual/rules/2-management-practices/subrules/5-ready-golf

and of course this

https://www.randa.org/en/rulesequipment/pace-of-play/overview

Player responsibilities
Very few golfers would admit to being slow players but we can all do our bit to play a little bit faster.

Be ready to play
  • While you are waiting to play, use your time wisely so when it is your turn you are ready to play.
  • When it is your turn to play, play promptly.
  • Consider your pre-shot routine - saving even a few seconds will help.
  • When play of a hole has been completed, leave the putting green quickly.
Play at a good pace
  • Always play at a good pace.
  • Keep up with the group in front.
  • Invite the group behind to play through if appropriate.
  • Play a provisional ball to save time if you think your ball may be lost.”

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly. No mention of a responsibility to keep up with the group ahead. One myth busted.
https://www.randa.org/en/rulesequipment/pace-of-play/overview

Player responsibilities
Very few golfers would admit to being slow players but we can all do our bit to play a little bit faster.

Be ready to play
  • While you are waiting to play, use your time wisely so when it is your turn you are ready to play.
  • When it is your turn to play, play promptly.
  • Consider your pre-shot routine - saving even a few seconds will help.
  • When play of a hole has been completed, leave the putting green quickly.
Play at a good pace
  • Always play at a good pace.
  • Keep up with the group in front.
  • Invite the group behind to play through if appropriate.
  • Play a provisional ball to save time if you think your ball may be lost.”