Xmas Golfing Weather

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Every year I plan to play all the way through the festive season and every year it never happens.

Played up to about mid -December then got involved in the usual round of pre-christmas panic. Always planning to get back to the course but never quite making it. Then the ubiquitous cold/man flu, the odd bad session at the range and before you know it the clubs have become a large cupboard ornament and it's mid January!

There's a part of me that refuses to accept that golf - at least in the UK- is a seasonal sport but another part that can't continue to ignore the facts(well ,my own anyway).

I take my hat off to anyone out there who manages to maintain their normal golfing routines from December through to about March. I salute you and aspire to show such resilience.

Im not giving up and turning into a fair weather golfer (frankly that involve about 3 games a year wouldn't it?) but sometimes I wake up with a tee -time booked and think - nah.

On the other side if you can drag yourself out on a clear day chances are you get the course to yourself, some of the most stunning views to be had all year and with the right company a few hours away from the tribulations of a country which seems to be flushing itself down the U bend

This is my first post of the year so a belated happy new year to all of you and looking forward to a second year of being on here, being informed, stunned, amused and occasionally shocked whilst talking my own brand of utter b@llocks with a load of fellow nutters obsessed with hitting a little ball with a stick round a field.

Long may it last (raises glass of Lemsip- cough cough)

BillyG

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm hoping we will be back on proper greens as it is the first competition of the year (monthly stableford) and I'm well up for it. I've also got my witner knockout on Sunday and don't fancy playing a match with the lottery of temporary greens

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was in Reading on Sunday picking up the twins from their Grandparents, and decided to nip around and take a quick peek at Bearwood Lakes GC. I've been invited there for a game and wanted to get an idea of where it was...
Sunday had to be one of the hardest frosts of the year but as I drove up to the clubhouse expecting the place to be deserted there were four guys coming down the fairway smiling and chatting enjoying their round. The place looked like a winter wonderland!!
Either they have wives that look like bulldogs chewing wasps or they'd just escaped from Broadmoor...
I stayed nice and warm in the car
:D :D :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a voucher for a round at Bearwood Lakes for myself and a guest to be used by mid-March. I'm praying for a thaw soon. It is a really great set up although all the women do look like they have just come fromthe beauty salon and my Fiesta looks a touch out of place next to some of the cars. I like the place and what they are doing there so I can't wait to play it. Now all I need to do is find a partner for the day.

kingshankly

Medal Winner
Visit site
was lucky enough to get out 5 times in the last 2 weeks i think the weather has been a bit kinder this side of the pond my own course wasnt alway available so went to the nearest links which had 18 full greens.my home track had plenty of temps on but they spent a lot of money this year improving greens it would be a shame to see them getting abused.

lion

Hacker
Visit site
Only one game in this Christmas - on New Years Eve in Herefordshire, frozen temp greens, temp tees and fog with visibility down to less than 100 feet. Only lost one ball although short game was a lottery

The_Squire

Head Pro
Visit site
Got out three times over the Christmas break and had much the same as most of you, frozen greens. And last friday couldn't get a tee into the ground and the ball was bouncing ten foot into the air when pitching the greens, this was after a hour and three quarter wait for the fog to go. Still it's fresh air and away from the shoppers.