Xmas Golfing Weather

Visit site
Having finished work on the 23rd Of December (and not going back until tomorrow) me and my mates were filled with anticpation and planned many games of golf with plenty of different competitions etc.

Well we've managed to play once! All of the tee's from October to March ish are temps, which is fine, but the greens have been on temps except for once. Again this wouldnt have been so bad but a) there are three holes (big) due to rabbits and b) the ground was so frozen that the ball hits the green and bounce 10 feet in the air due to being as hard as concrete.

Sorry about the moan, it's just that I work hard all year doing loads of hours and 40,000miles a year and this was my time to get some course time in.

Anybody else been able to get much golf in over the festive period?

B

birdieman

Sorry it hasn't worked out but I think planning golf around Christmas is optimistic to say the least.
We've had loads of mild winters in recent years but this winter so far it's been how winter is supposed to be, hasn't it?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I have forgotten what a golf course looks like.

Havent played for a month, went for a game the otehr day and teh course was on temps so walked away.

I dont pay nearly £1000 to play on 5yd circles, roughly cut, in the middle of the fairway, particualrly when on the day in question the greens were perfectly playable.

markwarne

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry your golfing plans did not work out Peter.

Like you, I finished on 23rd with loads of plans to play whilst HID went shopping / out with friends and the thing that stopped me was just the plain coldness of the days. I'm not a fair weather golfer by any stretch, but having played yesterday (our course keeps the greens open and non temp tees), I think that I took the right choice. Even bump and runs onto the greens was like bouncing a golf ball down the road.

It has really miffed me off the weather thing over the break - I was really looking forward to some golf, but the best laid plans etc etc. I hear this weather is going to continue for a bit too - does this mean we will get a decent summer

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
I too had loads of plans only played once round here i did play twice in Southwest Scotland one course was good the other was frozen dissapointing but its winter.

i have not even been the range which was the plan also,i dont get this much time off ever if only we lived in hotter climbs

Teeshot

Club Champion
combestone.com
I had the alarm clock set for 7am this morning, thinking I could get a lightening round in around 8am... Then I put a foot out from beneath the duvet and thought- Nah!

I have played a couple of rounds over Xmas to be fair though- Ilfracombe has been pretty playable but over the last couple of days the ground has been frozen solid- I liked the analogy on this thread that said "It was like hitting it down the road", that made me chuckle.
I have enough trouble trying to play in perfect conditions and didn't want my first round of 2009 to be a baddy...

DCB

Visit site
At least you've been able to contemplate a round if conditions allow. I slipped on frozen snow on the 7th Dec and damaged my neck. Four weeks down the line I've still not been able to lift a club. It's getting very frustrating. Even had to givea WO to opponents in a winter tie 'cause I couldn't play!

Bummer !

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been extreamly lucky. Broke up on Friday 19th. Played in the monthly stableford on Sat and won my division with 38 pts. Played 11 holes (11th is closest to clubhouse to finish) Sun afternoon, misses took kids to pics. Played Tuesday morning 18 holes. Played 11 holes with misses on boxing day. Played Tuesday morning again. Played Wednesday with misses and friends (on temps). Played 11 holes Friday with misses. Then to finish off played 18 holes Sat on temps.

So 8 games over xmas, 3 times 11 holes 5 times 18 and twice on temp greens. Back to work tomorrow :(

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I tried to play 18th Dec but due to the flu only got to 13 then had to call it a day. Havn't even picked up a club since let alone swung it! Getting very very itchy feet!! Going tomorrow no matter what, I just can't wait anymore.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only managed to complete 27 holes in total over 2 weeks. I got to the range twice though so am not too despondent.

I would have liked to play a lot more however.

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
I too finished on the 23rd and I have managed 2 rounds of 18 and 3 rounds of nine on three courses.

Greens are very very hard. Just have to avoid having to get over bunkers, hills etc with only the green to land on, thats when you get the 10ft bounce off the green.

Temp greens have given me chance to improve my short game especially from short distances. Many occasion trying to chip in instead of putt.

Think that playing in these conditions and wheather would have improved my game and is keeping me supple.

I know its not the most enjoyable but it's golf, fresh air, and beautiful surroundings! We always have the breakfast in the club house to look forward to after aswell.

redmike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
MAnaged to get 3 rounds in - course hasnt been in great nick - especially the frozen greens,but its better than the alternative of not playing!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I broke up Christmas Eve and back tomorrow and I think I have only had three rounds of golf (one with my regular group and yesterday with Hywel - HTL at Ascot and an awayday at Temple last Tuesday). To be fair I have been the range pretty hard instead and have got my swing working well and my pitching (50 yards and less) is coming on. I need to work on my chipping but little point as the ball doesn't stop so there is noreal feedback on execution.

I have only got three days leave until the new leave year starts in April so it is going to be tough at work with no chance for a cheeky midweek round.

geejayboy28

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been off since 19th December and have not managed to swing a club.........(course or range). The closest I got was charging my battery for my Powacaddy on several occasions to findout when I woke up the next day it was about -3C.

The infuriating thing is that my course tends to suffer from standing water and is often closed because of that, but it hasnt rained here for most of the holidays.

I dont start back until Thursday so hopefully ONE day it will be playable and I'll get a few holes in

Here's to 2009 good golfing to you all

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have managed to get out two or three times over the festive break but have also been suffering the lingering effects of flu/bad cold so although I've been looking forward to playing, after a few holes I begin to feel shite.
Was really looking forward to a game last Sunday but course was frozen so walked off after 7 or 8 holes.
I haven't even looked at my clubs since then, and have no intention of doing so until the milder weather kicks in.
I would just like to wake up one morning without this bunged up groggy feeling that I've had for what seems an age.
Rob

terryb

Medal Winner
Visit site
Having worked last week I have only managed one round plus one range session. The round on Saturday was enjoyable, if surprising as, despite the zero temperatures, the fairways were muddy but the greens did at least compensate by holding the ball.

Nearly gave up after a 10 at the first! but the round got better and played some of my best for several months with the 17th producing my best drive / iron combination. Then the 18th bombed with a 9.

Better luck next time hopefully. But will need an improved base layer as I felt the cold by the end.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played one round over Christmas in pleasant, if slightly chilly, conditions. The next, the January medal, is/was due on Wednesday.

Even if this snow thaws, the promise of more overnight Tuesday could put the kibosh on it.