Worm Casts

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last year our greens were covered in worm Casts. This, I can only assume is because our GK are using the stuff they have been told to use by the EA. Problem is that it doesn't work. I never saw this as a problem anywhere else I played last year, and I'm sure everywhere else will be confirming to the new rules, so why does it seem to be just our place. They've just treated the greens to their first, of two, doses of the stuff they can use for this year, and they look a right mess. Are we alone in having this problem!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems to be quite a problem with one or two of our greens.

It is probably something to do with the continuous damp conditions. There have been quite a few days when the greens have been to wet to mow, mowing is done first thing in the morning so casts would be gone by the time players are on the green.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Worms 'cast' in wet soil - the wetter it is, the more likely you are to get worm casts. The fact you're getting a lot of casts on the greens suggests the greens aren't draining properly. And yes, I know it's been seriously wet this year, but the greens should have the most free-draining soil on the course - and even in the current conditions the greens shouldn't (generally) be holding water for long. Sounds to me like your greens are retaining too much water for too long.

(As an aside, our course is a worms' paradise - the subsoil is just perfect for worms. Every autumn/winter the fairways are covered in casts. It's our bug-bear. But we don't get them on the greens)..

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s course sand that is the solution and good for greens as well .. makes them hold the ball and stops the game from becoming ping pong

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Worms 'cast' in wet soil - the wetter it is, the more likely you are to get worm casts. The fact you're getting a lot of casts on the greens suggests the greens aren't draining properly. And yes, I know it's been seriously wet this year, but the greens should have the most free-draining soil on the course - and even in the current conditions the greens shouldn't (generally) be holding water for long. Sounds to me like your greens are retaining too much water for too long.

(As an aside, our course is a worms' paradise - the subsoil is just perfect for worms. Every autumn/winter the fairways are covered in casts. It's our bug-bear. But we don't get them on the greens)..
Years ago though greens were designed to hold water.
They were built like bowls to retain water as most clubs didn’t have irrigation systems.
We have a few and they are like rice puddings atm.
But our USGA spec greens are dry as a bone.

Think clubs will need big investment if this rain keeps coming.🙈

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Years ago though greens were designed to hold water.
They were built like bowls to retain water as most clubs didn’t have irrigation systems.
We have a few and they are like rice puddings atm.
But our USGA spec greens are dry as a bone.

Think clubs will need big investment if this rain keeps coming.🙈
Clay bowls. Many clubs have injected high pressure air 'explosions' to break the seal in pre USGA spec greens and allow the water to drain which can be considerably cheaper than installing a full drain network.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clay bowls. Many clubs have injected high pressure air 'explosions' to break the seal in pre USGA spec greens and allow the water to drain which can be considerably cheaper than installing a full drain network.
We have an air2g2 fracking machine ,is this what you mean .?
or something different?

ntommo

Visit site
We have worm cast issues but the chemical they used to use is now banned apparently so our only option is the greenkeepers (or volunteers) swishing them first thing in the morning