Would you have carried on....

D

Deleted member 23270

You can't pick up, unless you're posting an NR. You can't just go "oh that's a quintuple bogey".
If I was 50 shots over my handicap I wouldn't be at all bothered about posting an NR. For consideration to everyone else behind him he should have picked up.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You can't pick up, unless you're posting an NR. You can't just go "oh that's a quintuple bogey".

You can put a line through one hole and carry on, you're out of the comp, but with the scores mentioned, that's irrelevant. The remaining scores would still all be valid for handicap adjustments, rather than posting a NR and not recording any further scores.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You can put a line through one hole and carry on, you're out of the comp, but with the scores mentioned, that's irrelevant. The remaining scores would still all be valid for handicap adjustments, rather than posting a NR and not recording any further scores.
Who said anything about not recording any further scores? You're supposed to keep scoring, but NRing a hole is an NR for the medal, end of story, rather than what was said above that the guilty party will just put a quintuple bogey on their card.

Visit site
I’d have been long gone ?

I’d have given up the game of golf if I was the poor chap who blew up down the last in our competition yesterday.

2nd biggest member comp of the year behind club champs - 36 hole medal, course setup like fire, greens fastest they have been all year probably 12+ stimp, no one above about an 8 handicap even bothers and a poor lad off 5 has an 11 up the last (par 4) to lose by 1 shot.

He was in the greenside bunker 30ft away in 2 - bladed it into a bush, proceeded to take 3 unplayables (i presume trying as he kept dunking it back into the bush. 9 shots from 30ft, to lose by 1, and if he’d just had another go from the bunker he’d have probably made a 7 and won by 3 shots ?

Needless to say, he didn’t hang around for a drink. He is the nicest bloke ever, and a bit gutted for him tbh… Might take a while to recover from that!
He was +4 through 36 holes gross, and +7 on the final hole… It’s mental ?

oleinone

Visit site
Everybody has to start somewhere but the minimum on the course should be the ability to move the ball forward. Some time ago, a bloke showed up to our regular roll up - he was known to a couple of the group. He literally couldn't hit the ball - multiple air shots on every hole - it was notable that his friends carefully avoided joining him.It was a prize pain in the backside for those playing with him and can't have been much fun for him. It was politely suggested that he should take a series of lessons and spend some time on the range - he hasn't been seen since.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember when I first started playing, before I even had a handicap I shot a, wait for it, 153!!!

But, it was a Saturday afternoon, with a mate, no one else on the course. One hole I took an 18!
That was a 5off the tee, next shot over water with a 5 iron, in water, playing 8, water again, playing 10, in water again, still trying with 5iron, playing 12, 13,14,on the green and 3putting for an 18!
When I got home wife asked how I got on, I told her 153! She paused for a few seconds and said, "Oh well, at least you got your moneys worth". ?

So I didn't hold anyone up but wanted to keep a score to beat it next time out.

Happy to say I've never came close since. ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
No I wouldn’t have carried on.
Always NR the hole and continue scoring for handicap purposes if I’m out the running. No point carrying on being a misery for the group and for everyone behind.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
But he was a 20 handicap.
jesus, it was a hypothetical example, though even off 20 the point still stands. We had a member play Boat of Garten earlier this year in a Scottish Medal qualifier, he was off 21, he had 3 eights on his card, I think one a triple, the other two were quadruples, he ended leading qualifier due to the long succession of pars he nailed early on. Totally possible for a high handicap to have a 9 or 10 and still post a decent score

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
jesus, it was a hypothetical example, though even off 20 the point still stands. We had a member play Boat of Garten earlier this year in a Scottish Medal qualifier, he was off 21, he had 3 eights on his card, I think one a triple, the other two were quadruples, he ended leading qualifier due to the long succession of pars he nailed early on. Totally possible for a high handicap to have a 9 or 10 and still post a decent score
Many years ago when a club member, probably about 16/17 h/cap, I was standing on the 3rd tee in a medal 10 over par having already lost 3 balls so mentally gave up on the medal and just played for fun - and ended up being cut. It's surprising how well you can sometimes play when the pressure is removed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
think i'd have NR'd after the next big number and played the rest of the holes as stableford in my head and picked up when necessary
Yeah, this. I'd carry on in the sense that I don't walk in, but if I've already blown double my handicap in the first five holes, at that point I'm out of the medal and just trying to relax and play for enjoyment. And for handicap, since it would just go down as four blobs essentially.

Springveldt

Visit site
That literally isn't how medals work
....it can work, if that's the way they want it to work, but "it's not no medal!";)
After an 8 and an 18 you are essentially out the competition anyway so you just NR any other bad holes and they go down as net double bogey anyway for handicap purposes. I've NR'd a few medals when I was having a shocker, no point in prolonging things and holding people up.

Springveldt

Visit site
I’d have been long gone ?

I’d have given up the game of golf if I was the poor chap who blew up down the last in our competition yesterday.

2nd biggest member comp of the year behind club champs - 36 hole medal, course setup like fire, greens fastest they have been all year probably 12+ stimp, no one above about an 8 handicap even bothers and a poor lad off 5 has an 11 up the last (par 4) to lose by 1 shot.

He was in the greenside bunker 30ft away in 2 - bladed it into a bush, proceeded to take 3 unplayables (i presume trying as he kept dunking it back into the bush. 9 shots from 30ft, to lose by 1, and if he’d just had another go from the bunker he’d have probably made a 7 and won by 3 shots ?

Needless to say, he didn’t hang around for a drink. He is the nicest bloke ever, and a bit gutted for him tbh… Might take a while to recover from that!
He was +4 through 36 holes gross, and +7 on the final hole… It’s mental ?
I've learned my lesson after something like that this year. Had a 10 on a par 4 when I tried to hack out of bushes rather than taking stroke and distance which would have sent me back to the tee. Ended up shooting 74 with the 10, was -2 for the other 17 holes.

Bet he takes stroke and distance next time.