The all things EV chat thread

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Not sure why we're even comparing an old Ferrari to a Tesla, has anyone ever thought about buying a car and whittled it down to two, a 30 year old 2 seater sports car or a new family EV. The Ferrari was a rare special car in it's day and is now a well sought after classic, it would have cost several times the price or a common run around saloon, which the Tesla is the modern equivalent of now. Think most people would take the Ferrari until the reality of what it would cost to run it as a daily vehicle hits. The Ferrari is to buy, admire and store, used for the odd very special occasion, the Tesla is a good family daily, fast, practical and cheap to run.

There are car users and there are drivers; a driver would never make the comparison, a car user might.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
If BMW don't get their fingers out with my 8er then I am of a mind to cancel and I have been drawn to the new Lotus Emira as my last hurrah to the ICE world. Similar pricing as the 8er but at least 150% less practical :D

2023-lotus-emira_100798564.jpg

Shouldn't this be in the midlife crisis thread?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been vaguely interested in electric cars for a while. Back in 2018 I nearly bought a Renault Zoe, until I discovered that the lease cost of the battery was more than I spend on petrol(!)
Of course things have changed since then, so I've recently revisited the costs. (While it's great that we all want to do our bit to help climate change, the simple fact remains that economic factors are a major part of most people's choice of car).

Let's say petrol is £1.50 a litre. Modern family petrol cars typically do about 45mpg, so we're talking a fuel cost of about 15p a mile.
Electricity costs vary, depending on whether you charge at home or on the road, and if you have a cheap overnight tariff at home.
But let's say that averaged out, electricity is going to cost around 20p per kWh. Electric cars tend to get about 4 miles per kWh, so that's 5p per mile.
In other words, the fuel cost saving of an electric car is about 10p a mile.
Now, given that the electric version of a car tends to be about £10,000 more than its petrol equivalent, you won't break even on the up-front purchase premium for the electric car until you've travelled 100,000 miles.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That may have been the case a few years ago, but things have changed.
I think if you ask some EV owners on here how much they pay for charging it would be a lot less than 20p per kWh and are EVs really still £10,000 more than ICE cars. Not to mention maintenance, road tax etc.
But if you don't want to buy one, dont.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I think if you ask some EV owners on here how much they pay for charging it would be a lot less than 20p per kWh
Perhaps some EV owners here will let us know.
AFAICT, there are no public chargers that are less than 20p/kWh, and the current (soon to be increased) cap for domestic is 21p/kWh.
Only those with Economy 7 or that special Octopus tariff are going to get it for less.
and are EVs really still £10,000 more than ICE cars. Not to mention maintenance, road tax etc.
I tried to compare like-for-like, and the three that I found were Peugeot 2008, VW Up and Mini. All were at least 10 grand more for the electric version.
I accept that maintenance might be a bit less for electric - far fewer moving parts.
Again, perhaps some EV owners here will tell us how much a service costs (and what the service interval is).
I would like to buy one.
Every time I make the 1.5 mile journey to the golf club, or 2 miles to Tesco, or even 55 miles to the mother-in-law, I think how much better it would be to have an electric car.
But I can't justify it from an economic aspect.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That may have been the case a few years ago, but things have changed.
I think if you ask some EV owners on here how much they pay for charging it would be a lot less than 20p per kWh and are EVs really still £10,000 more than ICE cars. Not to mention maintenance, road tax etc.
Presumably that charging rate is going to jump as electricity prices are increasing so sharply. It will be interesting to see the charging rates by the middle of the year.

Clearly, petrol and diesel prices are currently very high so that isn't an 'ice is better' comment.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps some EV owners here will let us know.
AFAICT, there are no public chargers that are less than 20p/kWh, and the current (soon to be increased) cap for domestic is 21p/kWh.
Only those with Economy 7 or that special Octopus tariff are going to get it for less.
Every time I make the 1.5 mile journey to the golf club, or 2 miles to Tesco, or even 55 miles to the mother-in-law, I think how much better it would be to have an electric car.
But I can't justify it from an economic aspect.

I don't know where you live but our local Tesco has 7kwh and 22kwh chargers which are free to use.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know where you live but our local Tesco has 7kwh and 22kwh chargers which are free to use.
Ah right. Sorry, I was forgetting about the supermarket free chargers. How long are you allowed to use them for?

And I suppose some businesses might have free daytime charging for their employees. I wonder how long before HMRC regards that as a BIK?

BTW, which EV do you drive, and how much would you say you pay per kWh on average?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

The free ones at supermarkets aren’t rapid chargers
They are fine if you are going to be there for an hour and want to boost your range by 50 miles or so, but in the real world the only public chargers worth using are Rapid or ultra rapid.

Non rapid chargers are only of real use if you can use for several hours or overnight, same goes for lamp post chargers which are a great idea, just not rapid

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The free ones at supermarkets aren’t rapid chargers
They are fine if you are going to be there for an hour and want to boost your range by 50 miles or so, but in the real world the only public chargers worth using are Rapid or ultra rapid.

Non rapid chargers are only of real use if you can use for several hours or overnight, same goes for lamp post chargers which are a great idea, just not rapid

How many free gallons of petrol/diesel can you get in an hour?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many free gallons of petrol/diesel can you get in an hour?
Nothing is free, so why should everyone else subsidise EV charging?
No one else pays for the leccy to power my washing machine so my clothes are clean and hygenic for when I go into customers houses.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The point is that it's not feasible to rely on the supermarket chargers in the real world.

I totally agree for some, but for many, it's ideal.
The infrastructure isn't there yet, the range isn't there yet for some and they are still expensive, we all know that but things are changing

I've said all along, if you don't want an EV, don't buy one.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry Bob the free supermarket ones are ok but aren't long term solution. They won't be free forever, instavolt moved from 30p to 50p a kw due to the price increases (fine so long as it returns back when it drops which it won't)

You also forget one major bit

People are selfish .. they park normal cars there because it's a space and "ice" it

Easily solved, build them at the BACK of car park not the front..... People are also lazy