The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have been in a Ferrari and a Porsche , Lamborghini as well as. i8 and a Tesla

Being in a Ferrari and hearing the roar of the engine the shift when you drop it down a gear , going through a tunnel and hearing the noise - you know you’re in a sports car and it’s a thrill - the noise of a Vantage is superb

Never got any of that from an i8 - it’s mute , you can hear the odd whir of a battery , you can have some pretend noise if you want and the Tesla is no different - it’s souless and flat , it’s just about getting you somewhere

You don’t get a Ferrari or sports car to go from a to b

Really? sports cars are noisey? I never knew that.
Noise isn't everything, I know it is to some but not everyone.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha ha. A few years ago a mate of mine down in London had a lotus Elise. After staying with him he gave me a lift to a tube station. I tried, unsuccessfully to get out normally. After 2 failed attempts I decided to take a different approach and effectively crawled out on my hands and knees. Not the most dignified approach, thankfully it was a dry day and the pavement wasn't wet. I look at cars like the one in the post and wince now ?

I just hope you weren't wearing a skirt on that day! :eek: ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ha ha. A few years ago a mate of mine down in London had a lotus Elise. After staying with him he gave me a lift to a tube station. I tried, unsuccessfully to get out normally. After 2 failed attempts I decided to take a different approach and effectively crawled out on my hands and knees. Not the most dignified approach, thankfully it was a dry day and the pavement wasn't wet. I look at cars like the one in the post and wince now ?

Mrs d had a Lotus Elise some years ago, I had the same problem in getting in and out. She once parked on a steep hill and I absolutely could not get out!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
When the Elise first came out I wanted one more than I've ever wanted any car. Sex on wheels. Unfortunately with 2 young kids it was completely impractical.
Now I could just go out and get one, it's obvious that I'd put my back out trying to get in the damn thing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
When the Elise first came out I wanted one more than I've ever wanted any car. Sex on wheels. Unfortunately with 2 young kids it was completely impractical.
Now I could just go out and get one, it's obvious that I'd put my back out trying to get in the damn thing.

Mrs d's main claim was that she could get a weeks shop in it !!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The point is you can have the character and style of a 308 AND the performance, handling and power of an electric motor.
It's a bit like buying a grade 2 Georgian house and installing central heating. Same house, just better.

But for those who like the original, there is a 1982 RHD 308 for sale on Autotrader and if you get bored of the noise, you can always turn up the infotainment centre. Ahhhh Medium wave.
A snip at only £84,995

425169f2a45046a2a7784d862e69c012 (1).jpg

D

Deleted member 23270

The point is you can have the character and style of a 308 AND the performance, handling and power of an electric motor.
It's a bit like buying a grade 2 Georgian house and installing central heating. Same house, just better.

But for those who like the original, there is a 1982 RHD 308 for sale on Autotrader and if you get bored of the noise, you can always turn up the infotainment centre. Ahhhh Medium wave.
A snip at only £84,995

View attachment 41164
I can't imagine anyone wanting a 40 year old Tesla enough to fork out 85 grand.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't imagine anyone wanting a 40 year old Tesla enough to fork out 85 grand.

Especially not with a LW/MW cassette player and 100 miles of range on a full tank (9.1 gallons)
No wonder it's only done 12,050 miles in 40 years. £6 for 10 miles.
Nice noise though. :whistle:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I remember doing the same thing when shopping for a car with my missus. There was a Vauxhall VXR in the showroom and I thought I would have a sit in it. Getting in, not too bad. Getting out? I finished up exactly the same, had to turn around and get out on my hands and knees. Quite embarrassing. :oops:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yeah I almost bought one as well back in the early 2000s. There was a Mini Cooper and an Elise at the same price, I went for the Mini ?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I used to own a 2.8l BMW Z3, took my dad for a drive one day and whilst getting in (or falling in) was okay getting out was a challenge even for myself. In the end we had to take the roof off so he could get leverage and then two of us pulled from the outside.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So they look good on posters on your bedroom wall and they make a great noise, but they are relatively slow, no sat nav, no usb sockets, no air bags, no power steering, rubbish handling, no back seats, £250+ road tax and you can't get out of them. 10mpg :whistle:

Or you could buy a Tesla and put a V8 in it :LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

So they look good on posters on your bedroom wall and they make a great noise, but they are relatively slow, no sat nav, no usb sockets, no air bags, no power steering, rubbish handling, no back seats, £250+ road tax and you can't get out of them. 10mpg :whistle:

Or you could buy a Tesla and put a V8 in it :LOL:

So what’s your point ?

Yes we know you are a fan of electric cars. The point is clear , you make it on a regular basis

There is also fans of a good old engine in a sports car to give them what they want from a sports car

It’s been explained by a number of people to you on a number of occasions why some just don’t like or want an electric car

Why keep going on about ? People aren’t on a daily basis posting all about how great their ICE car is , there is no need to emphasis the point on a daily basis for them

A Ferrari or a Porsche or a Lamborghini or Aston or Bugatti etc is about a driving expirence and that experience doesn’t include a radio or sat Nav or a battery - it includes a bug throaty engine that can roar through a tunnel or you can feel the revs go up to feel the pull - it’s the full experience and that doesn’t include driving a car that’s quiet as a mouse or has USB points or sat Nav or even a radio and electric windows

You either understand or ignore it

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For those that buy them, most of the 'criticism' is part of why they buy them! And many of the ones purchased don't need road tax either!
I know which one has the better 0-60 spec though!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what’s your point ?

Yes we know you are a fan of electric cars. The point is clear , you make it on a regular basis

There is also fans of a good old engine in a sports car to give them what they want from a sports car

It’s been explained by a number of people to you on a number of occasions why some just don’t like or want an electric car

Why keep going on about ? People aren’t on a daily basis posting all about how great their ICE car is , there is no need to emphasis the point on a daily basis for them

A Ferrari or a Porsche or a Lamborghini or Aston or Bugatti etc is about a driving expirence and that experience doesn’t include a radio or sat Nav or a battery - it includes a bug throaty engine that can roar through a tunnel or you can feel the revs go up to feel the pull - it’s the full experience and that doesn’t include driving a car that’s quiet as a mouse or has USB points or sat Nav or even a radio and electric windows

You either understand or ignore it

Comparing a Tesla with a performance car, and I mean a proper performance car, like the ones you list, but also down to things like a BMW M3, is daft as there is simply no contest as to which is the fastest. The Tesla wouldn't get close.

The more relevant comparison is those that just like the fast in a straight line away from the traffic lights experience. The kind of experience delivered by numerous family cars these days that churn out 250bhp plus, a good number of them diesels too. Like my BMW 330d, as an example, which is not a performance car even though it's fast 0-60 and gets round corners tidily compared to most other family cars. The Tesla would of course be much faster 0-60, although I'd wager that the 330d would still smash it in a race around a track.

My point is, anyone that seeks to compare a tesla and a performance car (which I appreciate you are not and making the same point as me) is barking up the wrong tree. Compare it against 3 litre diesels from Audi and BMW and whoever else makes fast family cars. There is nothing that any electric car delivers that is relevant to the question of whether it's a better buy than a Ferrari 308.

As an aside, I saw a F355 on the road for the first time in ages last week, what a beauty. Love that car!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Comparing a Tesla with a performance car, and I mean a proper performance car, like the ones you list, but also down to things like a BMW M3, is daft as there is simply no contest as to which is the fastest. The Tesla wouldn't get close.

The more relevant comparison is those that just like the fast in a straight line away from the traffic lights experience. The kind of experience delivered by numerous family cars these days that churn out 250bhp plus, a good number of them diesels too. Like my BMW 330d, as an example, which is not a performance car even though it's fast 0-60 and gets round corners tidily compared to most other family cars. The Tesla would of course be much faster 0-60, although I'd wager that the 330d would still smash it in a race around a track.

My point is, anyone that seeks to compare a tesla and a performance car (which I appreciate you are not and making the same point as me) is barking up the wrong tree. Compare it against 3 litre diesels from Audi and BMW and whoever else makes fast family cars. There is nothing that any electric car delivers that is relevant to the question of whether it's a better buy than a Ferrari 308.

As an aside, I saw a F355 on the road for the first time in ages last week, what a beauty. Love that car!

The 246 Dino was a far better looking car than the 308 by miles....