The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I rarely look at this thread but it does interest me.

Has anyone here discussed synthetic fuel? That's seems to me a logical alternative to fossil fuels. I don't know much about it but it seems keeping the same petrol/diesel infrastructure and replacing with synthetic fuel could be a far cheaper alternative? Would welcome to see the opinions from those really in the know here.

This may be of interest

Mandofred

Visit site
A guy I play golf with has had an electric for quite a few years. A Leaf that he gave to his son about 8-9? months ago when he got his new Kia. 5 days after getting the car, he ran into a low concrete thingie that really dented in the back door bottom....nothing so horrible that couldn't keep using the door etc. After 8 months, the Kia folks finally got what they needed to fix it. 8 months. He's happy with the car......but he sure wasn't too happy about having to wait so long to get the thing in to be fixed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A guy I play golf with has had an electric for quite a few years. A Leaf that he gave to his son about 8-9? months ago when he got his new Kia. 5 days after getting the car, he ran into a low concrete thingie that really dented in the back door bottom....nothing so horrible that couldn't keep using the door etc. After 8 months, the Kia folks finally got what they needed to fix it. 8 months. He's happy with the car......but he sure wasn't too happy about having to wait so long to get the thing in to be fixed.

Thats happening with all cars ice and EV ATM

I had 2 issues with my car one very EV side took 2 months for the part but worked in mean time the none EV part should have been next day item (abs wiring loom) it failed in January with the car unfit to use. They still don't have the part now

However they stole a part out of one of their stock cars a month later to get the car back to me until it arrives

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For the first 25 years of British motoring, filling stations didn't exist.
Instead, you could only buy petrol in two-gallon cans from chemists, hardware shops and hotels, as well as from garages

In 2011, EV charging stations didn't exist.
11 years after the first electric car came to Britain in 2022, there was 37,261 public charging points in the UK

Predictions say there will be 100,000 chargers by 2025

Patience :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm getting a lift tomorrow, to a golf course, in a Tesla. Never been in one before, I'm looking forward to it. 180 mile round trip so I will be interested to see how it manages range wise. I'm pretty sure there is no charging point at the other end so hopefully it has enough to get us there and back in one go. It has to cope with 2 adults, 2 x bags, 2 x trolleys and the aircon being on there and back (we can chat away and do without a radio)

If I offer charging money is 50p enough :ROFLMAO:

Jason.H

Visit site
I'm getting a lift tomorrow, to a golf course, in a Tesla. Never been in one before, I'm looking forward to it. 180 mile round trip so I will be interested to see how it manages range wise. I'm pretty sure there is no charging point at the other end so hopefully it has enough to get us there and back in one go. It has to cope with 2 adults, 2 x bags, 2 x trolleys and the aircon being on there and back (we can chat away and do without a radio)

If it’s a performance plaid model watch out for some fast acceleration 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

One of my managers picked up an Audi q4 e Tron at auction yesterday

It was the Leeds based auction. Got the train up.... I txt him this morning to ask how it went

"Picked it up with 190 miles showing, it dropped slightly once we started driving then Satnav stated we would not make it home, stopped at Watford Costco on the way with 11 miles left in battery and they allow free charging 7.5kw. Did our shop and ate and after 1hr and 50 mins had 90 miles I battery. 3 hour drive and after 5 mins said to Nicholas “best decision I made to sell the Merc and get Q4 electric”. So so far soo good 😀"

For reference that drive where he had 11 miles left is measured at 176 miles so not too bad on the prediction, think he said Sunday it had 75% charge showing 190

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trip completed. It started fully charged with 260 mile range. We did 180 miles, the range left was 50 miles. Air con and radio were on, car loaded. Overtaking was done, no holds barred. Seemed fair enough.

Car was comfy, spacious, fast, quiet. All in all, very, very nice. I'd happily have one, at half the price 😉. Very impressive.

Only downside, a couple of times it falsely thought we were going to crash into something and slammed on the brakes. Luckily the driver was used to this but it gave me a shock, and did him when he first got the car. Tech 🙄

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Trip completed. It started fully charged with 260 mile range. We did 180 miles, the range left was 50 miles. Air con and radio were on, car loaded. Overtaking was done, no holds barred. Seemed fair enough.

Car was comfy, spacious, fast, quiet. All in all, very, very nice. I'd happily have one, at half the price 😉. Very impressive.

Only downside, a couple of times it falsely thought we were going to crash into something and slammed on the brakes. Luckily the driver was used to this but it gave me a shock, and did him when he first got the car. Tech 🙄
Tbh this isn’t just a Tesla thing, my XC40 does it all the time. Supposed to be fixed by software updates, 4 years later it’s still doing it!🙄

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tbh this isn’t just a Tesla thing, my XC40 does it all the time. Supposed to be fixed by software updates, 4 years later it’s still doing it!🙄

Being an electric car and suddenly braking is two different things. I switched everything on for a long journey a couple of weeks back. It jamming on the brakes if a car overtook me or I got a little close before overtaking was a damn nuisance.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The reason Tesla are so good at what they do (electric) is because they have only made electric cars

It's why the leaf is fantastic aswell, built from the ground up

Where as others are shunted into normal car bodies and it's just not as good experience

I mean Kia niro they have done fantastic even tho it has hybrid model because they took aero dynamics very serious to save the miles etc

Great car , second hand btw telsa are deals to be had apparently

That boss said his car is 1 year old Audi q4 .. 7000 miles 34k at auction

Much more reasonable price for what it is

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being an electric car and suddenly braking is two different things. I switched everything on for a long journey a couple of weeks back. It jamming on the brakes if a car overtook me or I got a little close before overtaking was a damn nuisance.
It’s not just a nuisance it’s downright dangerous.
Happened to me on the M62 doing 70mph a car came down the on ramp and crossed in front of me .
My car ( not EV ) slammed the brakes on Down to 30 mph.
I had a massive jugernaught behind me blowing his horn.
” wasn’t me guv it was the car”

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The reason Tesla are so good at what they do (electric) is because they have only made electric cars

It's why the leaf is fantastic aswell, built from the ground up

Where as others are shunted into normal car bodies and it's just not as good experience

I mean Kia niro they have done fantastic even tho it has hybrid model because they took aero dynamics very serious to save the miles etc

Great car , second hand btw telsa are deals to be had apparently

That boss said his car is 1 year old Audi q4 .. 7000 miles 34k at auction

Much more reasonable price for what it is
What is the range like on those? I didn't think they were that good on that front.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the range like on those? I didn't think they were that good on that front.

Which one the q4? It's quoted range is 296-316 so comfortable 250

He got from Leeds back to North London before needing to charge with 190 range on the clock when picking up and it wasn't full

Leaf and Kia depends on model. Kia is 250 miles it seems they made it very efficient leaf 140-200 depending which battery capacity

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yup, it made me jump but he had been through it before so was able to react to it straight away. The system was over sensitive. I've had a version of this on a previous car, Skoda, but it only kicked in at slowish speeds and when you were right up against something, ie pedestrian. This was seeing a parked car on a bend in a layby and kicking in then, not anticipating the bend of the road. It was not good, needs tweaking.