Worst round of golf since I started playing

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterday was the first stroke play comp of the season, on the long course and the course was in great nick, the greens are still a little bumpy, but they are green, no bald or barren patches.

Started off a little poor 6 on the first out of position with the drive and rather than go for it over the trees, I sensibly played back out onto the fairway, but the third was thinned onto the 7th green, eventually back onto the 1st green with the 4th then two putt.

Second hole, stonking drive down hill front of the green, 9 iron for a little chip and run, few feet short of hole, should have been a birdy but another two putt for par.

A 6 on the par 5 3rd was acceptable, then it all went wrong.

4th Hole par 3, tee shot into bunker left, 2nd, thinned it over the green behind a tall bush, chunked the third, chunked the 4th, on the green just of 5 and two put for 7.

Put it out of my mind as we waited on the 5th tee for the fairway to clear, another good drive a little more left than I would've like but it was on the fairway, albeit with a large tree to clear on the next shot, the group in front waved us through as one of them had lost his ball, I was in between clubs and wanted to play a short iron layup to take the tree out of play, but with the group behind already on the tee, the group in front waving us through I hit a hybrid and pulled it left into the tree I was wanting to avoid, so my third was a chip out sideways, with Kraxx having laid up some 70yds further forward, the group behind teed off and the group in front still waiting for me and Kraxx to play through, what should have been a nice 9 iron to the green, came off the toe and scuttled into the cabbage next to the path, down the bank on the 6th, so I was playing 5 out of the cabbage up hill to a blind pin, made decent contact but ball was landed in the bunker, 6th out of the bunker, was a feeble effort and barely made it out to the green, didn't want to thin as I had earlier, a decent putt got me down 7.

6th another cracking drive, but as the group in front, well two off them had already played, we waited for their 3rd member to tee off with us, the 5 of us walked to our balls where me and Kraxx would play on and through. Feeling pressured to hurry up chunked my 2nd and 3rd, thinned the 4th ended up with a 2 putt 6 on a par 4.

After that it didn't get any better, in fact it got worse, the 11th pulled the drive into trees, went to play the sensible shot out onto the fairway and an inch to the left and my shot would have been back on the short stuff, but I hit a tree and put the ball further into the trees3rd shot back onto the fairway, needless to say it got to the point where I wanted to walk off, I'd had enough, my game was shot, I wasn't thinking golf, I wasn't concentrating, and my head was all over the place, so on the 11th I carded 11.

The rest of the round was a case of cracking drives and rubbish there after I put my card in with a final 108, by far and away the worst I have played since I started playing again 3 and a bit years ago.

The positives I can take from the round are that I hit 13 out of 15 fairways from the tee on the par 4 and 5 holes.

The leader as we entered our score, was a 19 handicapper who shot a net 64(83)

Next week at the grove can't come soon enough, I need to find that zen place in my head when playing so as not to feel hurried, hopefully next Saturdays comp will be better.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's what happens when you post a vid of your swing up and read the replies! :whistle:

Actually it was something that the coach mentioned, point the left foot left slightly towards the target and keep right foot straight, I tried it and it must have helped as 13 out of 15 fairways hit, is way better than I've done for a long time.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Howay Dave finger out
These single figures looking distance now

Mind I had a crap round yesterday
After shooting 1 under gross on Friday off the whites
I had 29 pts yesterday. Things like this happen. Forgot about it and don't keep remembering about it

1948griff

Medal Winner
Visit site
Howay Dave finger out
These single figures looking distance now

Mind I had a crap round yesterday
After shooting 1 under gross on Friday off the whites
I had 29 pts yesterday. Things like this happen. Forgot about it and don't keep remembering about it

Easily done - I followed 39 pts in a singles stableford at Fleetwood on Friday, with a net 79 on Saturday!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Happened to me in the Scotland King of Kings - out in 62 had started back 5, 11, 9 then settled down and was under level 5s from then on - and I've played to my handicap nearly all the time since. If your basics are Ok then settle down and take it easy, it's just a game

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Reading your post has made me a little happier to know that it isn't just me who had an absolute shocker of a round this weekend!

I feel your pain :angry:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Strangely I couldn't hit a fairway but in the bogey comp finished two down and three down to the course which was a pretty decent return considering. Add in I missed a number of short putts too. I was really happy with my irons and my pitching (even the chipping was acceptable). Went to the range today and it was dire. Tempted to go out and just play tomorrow and not worry.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
You changed your strategy because you had been called through? Why didn't you just play the shot you had planned?

I had taken my hybrid out the bag and had left my trolley in a place where the group behind could see it, so they would know we hadn't moved on, when we were called through, rather than go back and change clubs, I went for it, stupid move and of course the result was less than favourable.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strangely I couldn't hit a fairway but in the bogey comp finished two down and three down to the course which was a pretty decent return considering. Add in I missed a number of short putts too. I was really happy with my irons and my pitching (even the chipping was acceptable). Went to the range today and it was dire. Tempted to go out and just play tomorrow and not worry.

Who cares, this thread isn't about you.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave,
Great shooting.......:thup:...........a century.......!!
Oh wait, it was golf, not cricket........sorry ;)

Seriously though mate
Just put it behind you, its only a game, Im sure next time out you will shoot the lights out and wonder how you ever shot this big number

Plus point..........you havent mentioned NOT clearing the ladies tee blocks at the 1st....??
So im presuming that you DID
Or
Do you just keep those 'special' tee shots for North East meets.....?? ;)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Yesterday was the first stroke play comp of the season, on the long course and the course was in great nick, the greens are still a little bumpy, but they are green, no bald or barren patches.

Started off a little poor 6 on the first out of position with the drive and rather than go for it over the trees, I sensibly played back out onto the fairway, but the third was thinned onto the 7th green, eventually back onto the 1st green with the 4th then two putt.

Second hole, stonking drive down hill front of the green, 9 iron for a little chip and run, few feet short of hole, should have been a birdy but another two putt for par.

A 6 on the par 5 3rd was acceptable, then it all went wrong.

4th Hole par 3, tee shot into bunker left, 2nd, thinned it over the green behind a tall bush, chunked the third, chunked the 4th, on the green just of 5 and two put for 7.

Put it out of my mind as we waited on the 5th tee for the fairway to clear, another good drive a little more left than I would've like but it was on the fairway, albeit with a large tree to clear on the next shot, the group in front waved us through as one of them had lost his ball, I was in between clubs and wanted to play a short iron layup to take the tree out of play, but with the group behind already on the tee, the group in front waving us through I hit a hybrid and pulled it left into the tree I was wanting to avoid, so my third was a chip out sideways, with Kraxx having laid up some 70yds further forward, the group behind teed off and the group in front still waiting for me and Kraxx to play through, what should have been a nice 9 iron to the green, came off the toe and scuttled into the cabbage next to the path, down the bank on the 6th, so I was playing 5 out of the cabbage up hill to a blind pin, made decent contact but ball was landed in the bunker, 6th out of the bunker, was a feeble effort and barely made it out to the green, didn't want to thin as I had earlier, a decent putt got me down 7.

6th another cracking drive, but as the group in front, well two off them had already played, we waited for their 3rd member to tee off with us, the 5 of us walked to our balls where me and Kraxx would play on and through. Feeling pressured to hurry up chunked my 2nd and 3rd, thinned the 4th ended up with a 2 putt 6 on a par 4.

After that it didn't get any better, in fact it got worse, the 11th pulled the drive into trees, went to play the sensible shot out onto the fairway and an inch to the left and my shot would have been back on the short stuff, but I hit a tree and put the ball further into the trees3rd shot back onto the fairway, needless to say it got to the point where I wanted to walk off, I'd had enough, my game was shot, I wasn't thinking golf, I wasn't concentrating, and my head was all over the place, so on the 11th I carded 11.

The rest of the round was a case of cracking drives and rubbish there after I put my card in with a final 108, by far and away the worst I have played since I started playing again 3 and a bit years ago.

The positives I can take from the round are that I hit 13 out of 15 fairways from the tee on the par 4 and 5 holes.

The leader as we entered our score, was a 19 handicapper who shot a net 64(83)

Next week at the grove can't come soon enough, I need to find that zen place in my head when playing so as not to feel hurried, hopefully next Saturdays comp will be better.

Thank god there will be someone else at The Grove that shoots my kind of scores;) You're my favourite....

JohnF

Club Champion
Visit site
Must have been one of those weekend. I went round in 116 on Friday, by far the worst round I've had in years!! Everything was off from my driving to my putting, I had 5 putts on our 13th and 4 on our 16th.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave,

What did Stu shoot then.......???

96 48 out and in.

Went out tonight and had a much much better round, didn't keep score, just wanted to go out to practice the greens and hit a few balls.

The main difference between tonight and the weekend, no one in front, no one behind, just a pleasant 3hrs in the sun.

Best bit being I was able to drop a couple of balls on each green to work out the undulations, hitting putts of different lengths and places on each green to see how the ball rolled, not to interested in sinking the putt, just wanted to see how the balls rolled towards the hole. It made for an interesting learning experience, as some holes looked for all the world that they sloped right (high) to left(low) but then the ball does the opposite, also what looked like quite subtle breaks are actually quite severe.

Last edited: