Playing elsewhere phobia!

D

Deleted member 15344

Love playing on an away course , always presents a new challenge

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I used to hate playing away courses. I never, ever played well. My game simply didn’t seem to travel, to the point golf trips became tortuous, especially an annual tour to the Algarve!

I started to turn things around by keeping my driver in the bag and taking a 2 or 4 iron from the tee. Most of my away days and tours are done in decent weather for obvious reasons, and as a consequence I found I wasn’t losing a great deal of distance by abandoning the driver.

Once I started keeping the ball in play, I found I started really enjoying playing away courses again, my scores improved, and I once again looked forward to my golf travels.

It’s all about finding a way to get the ball round and taking it from there for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The biggest issue I have with away courses is the pace of the greens. I try and spend a good chunk of time hitting putts and hope the practice green pace is representative. I can find it takes 3-4 holes to get the pace sometimes even with some practice but I see it as another challenge of a new course

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Not really a phobia but I much prefer playing a new course the second & subsequent times. Most times playing a course for the first time there are a few holes where I think "I'd play that hole differently if I had another chance". There are two away courses where I play quite regularly & being familiar with them make them much more enjoyable.

TigerBear

Visit site
Crazy it may seem and I really love the game and I used to play every where and anywhere with rental clubs .. however now, I don’t.

I am so worried that I won’t play very well, that I don’t want to waste the green fee.
I absolutely hate playing rubbish golf, by rubbish I mean hitting shots I don’t practice.. the 20yard top, the banana cut, the snap hook, the thinned bunker shot, the double jab chip, the poor distance control putt… none of which I practice but I can happily pull off ( should I practice them?)

Is this normal? Does anyone else suffer this crisis of confidence?
Strangely, I tend to play much better. I live not too far from the Ayrshire coast and there is a wealth of excellent links courses to choose from, which I prefer.

I think it's down to me knowing my course inside out, the familiarness encouraging aggressive play, choosing the tiger line, always going for it opposed to laying up, etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not really a phobia but I much prefer playing a new course the second & subsequent times. Most times playing a course for the first time there are a few holes where I think "I'd play that hole differently if I had another chance". There are two away courses where I play quite regularly & being familiar with them make them much more enjoyable.
I agree that there will always be holes I'd play differently now I know them when playing a new course to score better but I also think that is part of the charm of playing somewhere for the first time

Visit site
The mild terror of playing a new course, particularly solo, is probably the most enjoyable element of all. I set a score of 5 shots above my handicap of 14 to ease the occasional disappointment of not shooting 14+ or less. My theory is if you can play well everywhere, it opens up so many future options. Having only recently taken the game back up again, I was a bit self conscious of how poor I would be so have a sneaky look around at others and sometimes don't feel so bad. I tend to play when courses are empty and find that helps.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I generally don't play a new course particularly well the first time...not knowing the exact layout - even with gps help - just makes it trickier.
An exception was last year when we played at Bratty's course...I played well and shot 2 over
However, even though Si was giving us loads of info as to the layout and lines of play, there were certainly a few holes where I would have hit a different shot to the actual play...
Would it have made a difference?
Maybe, maybe not......

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
That's why the other thread about every round counting for handicap is so funny.

Some days you need to forget the score and enjoy the surroundings and company.
Unless you play golf for a living, then every day you need to forget the score and enjoy the surroundings and company. If you treat all the rounds equally, then they are all valid data for handicapping.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Crazy it may seem and I really love the game and I used to play every where and anywhere with rental clubs .. however now, I don’t.

I am so worried that I won’t play very well, that I don’t want to waste the green fee.
I absolutely hate playing rubbish golf, by rubbish I mean hitting shots I don’t practice.. the 20yard top, the banana cut, the snap hook, the thinned bunker shot, the double jab chip, the poor distance control putt… none of which I practice but I can happily pull off ( should I practice them?)

Is this normal? Does anyone else suffer this crisis of confidence?
Yes…but hopefully I am putting the CoC behind me.

Q: Where did the crisis come from because it never used to be the case?

A: I just couldn't stop shanking the ball and that was making me sooo very miserable. Why then would I spend a load of £££s for me just to be miserable.

However: Light at end of tunnel. The swing change I’ve been working on for near three 🙄 years has just about seen that crisis (and fear) behind me…just about…and so I’m much more open about spending money playing elsewhere.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will be in England on Monday and ready to add to my new courses played, over 200 in the UK, Ireland, France and Spain,
hopefully I bring some decent weather with me.
Please come up to Northumberland. Quieter than down south, nice scenery, plenty of castles (if you like a castle) cheaper courses, friendly people, and boy do we need some Aussie weather 😂

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I love playing elsewhere, and if I have a terrible score, I laugh it off thinking I got my money's worth in shots!
The only thing I really dislike is renting clubs. Far prefer playing with my own, but I wouldn't let that stop me playing a new course if it wasn't a 'special' one. No way am I playing bucket list courses with anything other than my clubs.

Isn’t it funny how someone with a well traveled handicap enjoys away days 🤔