Callaway X Series

foster300

Visit site
Hi. Newbie to the forum and looking for some advice with regards to irons.

I am going for a custom fitting tomorrow at Tony Valentine Golf Centre in Corsham. Callaway are visiting to conduct a fitting day and the fitting is completely free regardless of purchase.

I hover between 90 and 100 with regards to scores and play with some 2006 Big Bertha's. The problem is that I am 6'4" and during some recent lessons my coach said that my clubs are far too short. He told me not to buy from the pro shop at the course I am having lessons as I can find cheaper elsewhere but I would benefit greatly from longer clubs as my current ones are restricting me through my swing because of my flexibility. . This gives me confidence that his opinion is completely valid and he isn't trying to make money(he got enough of that from the lessons which have paid off greatly)

Long story short I am going to get fitted for these as a cheap introduction to a custom fit. To me the worst case is that I spend £330 on a set of clubs that is no better for me but look a lot shinier in my bag and are brand new (something which I have never had as I have always had second hand). Best case is that the length and lie adjustments work wonders and I can finally start to chip away at the brick wall thay I have hit. Here is the link:

https://www.tonyvalentine.com/callaway-x-series-irons-2018

Let me know what you think of them and if there is anything to look out for or any other alternatives. Preferably Callaway though. Maximum spend is roughly £400. I have trawled the internet but can't find anything on these clubs. I plan on getting custom fit again at some point in the distant future but only once I am playing off single figures.

Cheers and any help is massively appreciated

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just on a simple what you said

If you are that height and are playing standard clubs the advice given is good . Get custom fitted.

The Tony Valentine price is very good

The sort of score you seem to shoot would suit a club like these.

There are lots of sellers of these clubs and the info is pretty much the same ie what Callaway says about them.

foster300

Visit site
Just on a simple what you said

If you are that height and are playing standard clubs the advice given is good . Get custom fitted.

The Tony Valentine price is very good

The sort of score you seem to shoot would suit a club like these.

There are lots of sellers of these clubs and the info is pretty much the same ie what Callaway says about them.

Perfect. Thanks for the reply. That was all I wanted confirming really. The biggest issue is my height and if I can start to work around my issues for such a cheap price then I am happy.

foster300

Visit site
Went for the fitting today and was told that the X series is no good for me as I need stiff shafts and the uniflex just wouldn't cut it. The fitting took a total of 14 minutes which I found strange as I thought it would be a lot more thorough having been done by a Callaway employee. I was recommended the Rogue after the fitting which would mean me getting one club less for £200 more. Going to keep my current clubs and keep hacking away for now until I can hit consistently and shoot below 90.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went for the fitting today and was told that the X series is no good for me as I need stiff shafts and the uniflex just wouldn't cut it. The fitting took a total of 14 minutes which I found strange as I thought it would be a lot more thorough having been done by a Callaway employee. I was recommended the Rogue after the fitting which would mean me getting one club less for £200 more. Going to keep my current clubs and keep hacking away for now until I can hit consistently and shoot below 90.

You could just ask your pro to put in shaft extenders next time you have the grips changed or buy a second hand set off ebay. I bought my 6'3" son some Titleist to the correct spec for under £100.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Did you note the fitted spec?
I didn't reply to your OP but did think the X maybe seemed like a value Steelhead XR.

You may see the XR in your spec.

foster300

Visit site
Did you note the fitted spec?
I didn't reply to your OP but did think the X maybe seemed like a value Steelhead XR.

You may see the XR in your spec.
My spec was 2° upright and 0.75" longer with a stiff shaft. I am quite happy to go with 0.5" or 1.0" longer though if the right ones pop up, as 0.75" will be hard to come by I would imagine. Realistically what is the difference between stiff and regular shafts for a 20+ handicap? I was carrying an extra 20 yards with the stiff shafts but I am a big hitter anyway so not sure of the benefits. If I can find a good cheap set 2nd hand with regular shafts should I go for it or steer clear and stick to my guns with stiff shafts?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My spec was 2° upright and 0.75" longer with a stiff shaft. I am quite happy to go with 0.5" or 1.0" longer though if the right ones pop up, as 0.75" will be hard to come by I would imagine. Realistically what is the difference between stiff and regular shafts for a 20+ handicap? I was carrying an extra 20 yards with the stiff shafts but I am a big hitter anyway so not sure of the benefits. If I can find a good cheap set 2nd hand with regular shafts should I go for it or steer clear and stick to my guns with stiff shafts?

It would depend on the actual shaft. weight of the shaft can be a factor as well. Do you remember what shaft was being suggested.

foster300

Visit site
It would depend on the actual shaft. weight of the shaft can be a factor as well. Do you remember what shaft was being suggested.
Fair enough. He never actually mentioned what shaft specifically or what weight. We didn't actually try shafts other than for lengths. I probably hit 20 balls in total which didn't fill me with enough confidence to spend over £500. I hit with 3° upright and without hitting 2° I was told that 2° would be best. I think I may be best off getting fitted somewhere else and spending a good while hitting

Homer

Visit site
When you take your car to fail an MOT do you question the garage to see if they’ve done all the tests right?

Homer

Visit site
At your current standard - the correct lie will help you massively as you might be able to hit it straight then. Correct flex will help too. The rest is really immaterial at your level.

foster300

Visit site
Perfect. Cheers for the info. Is club length not quite important though with me being so tall? Genuine question. I have always just got myself round the course but I am now a lot more interested in getting good after having some lessons

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I would try another fitting, but not one of the ones at a "Fitting day"
I haven't been to one, but by definition surely there must be some
degree of, " next please" about it.
Try to find a recommended local pro fitter. Your swing speed must be quite high for stiff shaft. That , and your height, would seem to demand a good comprehensive fit.
Whereas an average guy can get away with "normal off the shelf clubs", you may very well do yourself no favours unless properly fitted.
Just my 2 cents, as they say.

foster300

Visit site
I would try another fitting, but not one of the ones at a "Fitting day"
I haven't been to one, but by definition surely there must be some
degree of, " next please" about it.
Try to find a recommended local pro fitter. Your swing speed must be quite high for stiff shaft. That , and your height, would seem to demand a good comprehensive fit.
Whereas an average guy can get away with "normal off the shelf clubs", you may very well do yourself no favours unless properly fitted.
Just my 2 cents, as they say.
Good info. I really wish I could get away with off the shelf clubs. Would save a lot of hassle. I didn't manage to see my swing speed but he said that there was no way that regular or uniflex would cut it, so I assume that it sits well within the stiff category. I will dedinitely be getting another fitting elsewhere just to see how the results differ, if at all.